Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Knock for Knock" = I don't think so!

Views : 1973

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 13:29   #11
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70 driver View Post
Agree with all this des, I seem to recall when I took my test many years, the law was one decending a hill in single lane traffic gave way to ascending traffic, or has this changed?
V70 driver
Now that rule has me bugged... Can't remember (for definite) either, but my thoughts are:
Vehicles going down hill - more difficult to stop should they have precedence?
Vehicles going up - easier to stop but may cause issues with heavy/unusual loads?

The ability to stop, or indeed not stop, would I think call the shot.
Ergo vehicles going up stop and give way to those coming down..

But our victim here had given way, and have pulled over to allow more than adequate room to pass safely.
The mere fact the other driver was a moron is neither here nor there.
Also the fact that the vehicle of the victim was stationery (hopefully with hand brake applied or "Park" set - hint hint) means that he was unable to cause either the damage or the accident.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 13:41   #12
LankyTim
Missing the point

Vehcles going down a hill should beable to stop no matter what. They shouldnt be going at a speed which would make it difficult for them to come to a standstill. Vehicles going up a hill may find it difficult to get going again once they have come to a standstill, and could even loose traction and not move at all, as happens with some lorries.

Thats what I think, anyway.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 18:06   #13
the hoff
440IFIED

shhh i dont want to be shot for been a bit underhanded but when i had a simalar prob i reported it to insurance company they said whoops sorry youre not fully comp best just to do a 50/50 unless theres a thirp party witness ??? <edited by admin>

Last edited by IC; Jun 4th, 2007 at 18:20. Reason: Inappropriate Post
the hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 18:28   #14
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
Vehcles going down a hill should beable to stop no matter what. They shouldnt be going at a speed which would make it difficult for them to come to a standstill. Vehicles going up a hill may find it difficult to get going again once they have come to a standstill, and could even loose traction and not move at all, as happens with some lorries.

Thats what I think, anyway.
Yes indeed, and in some European countries this is the law as they don't want their mountain passes clogged by by an artic unable to do a hill start and slipping all over the place.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 18:46   #15
the hoff
440IFIED

at least i didnt get shot lol but seriously insurance companies use every trick in the book legal and illegal to get of with paying out thats y i use a local broker whos shop is by me so i can go in and speak face to face much better than in personal phone calls best advice is if you had the legal cover use it!!!!!(you paid for it)
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 19:24   #16
paul3346

The main faults here lie with the insurance companies. I am sure we are all aware they state ' do not admit liability and do not say "sorry"'. They are not worried about the insured, only their finances. They do not care if you are prosecuted for offences which come to light by denying responsibility. These days, if there is no injury, Police do not prosecute because it is a non reportable incident. However, even though it is non reportable, it is still best to do so as the incident should be logged thereby safeguarding the interests of the non liable party. Legally, all accidents should be reported within 24hours OR as soon as it is practicable to do so. If you pass a police station on the way home and cannot be bothered to call in, then, you have not reported the incident as soon as practicable to do so.

Sorry to sound like the boring old f4rt that I may be, but insurance companies really annoy me. What I have always maintained (and so has my family, we are not immune to various collisions) is if you are at fault, put up your hands and say - 'it was me guv! I am to blame'.

Yes you are right, I am retired plod, but I like to think I was fair whilst tightening the thumbscrews.

Paul
paul3346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 21:43   #17
the hoff
440IFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul3346 View Post
The main faults here lie with the insurance companies. I am sure we are all aware they state ' do not admit liability and do not say "sorry"'. They are not worried about the insured, only their finances. They do not care if you are prosecuted for offences which come to light by denying responsibility. These days, if there is no injury, Police do not prosecute because it is a non reportable incident. However, even though it is non reportable, it is still best to do so as the incident should be logged thereby safeguarding the interests of the non liable party. Legally, all accidents should be reported within 24hours OR as soon as it is practicable to do so. If you pass a police station on the way home and cannot be bothered to call in, then, you have not reported the incident as soon as practicable to do so.

Sorry to sound like the boring old f4rt that I may be, but insurance companies really annoy me. What I have always maintained (and so has my family, we are not immune to various collisions) is if you are at fault, put up your hands and say - 'it was me guv! I am to blame'.

Yes you are right, I am retired plod, but I like to think I was fair whilst tightening the thumbscrews.

Paul
common sence from a copper lol .. no seriously unless its serious the old bill should not get involved as surely its a civil case ???? one good thingthats come from mobile phones is that the camera ones come in handy have an accident pull it out and snap away ...
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:26   #18
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hoff View Post
shhh i dont want to be shot for been a bit underhanded but when i had a simalar prob i reported it to insurance company they said whoops sorry youre not fully comp best just to do a 50/50 unless theres a thirp party witness ??? <edited by admin>
in my opinion that should of not been edit buy admin there is an old saying if u cant beat them join them
and one other i like if u can get away with get away with it
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:21   #19
the hoff
440IFIED

funny thing is my sister in law works for norwich union and tells her nearsest and dearest not to use her company as it constantly uses the trivilist of things to avoid payoutsone time they didnt pay out as the lad y said it had been stolen from the road outside her house they said "youre policy states its kept on a drive" she replied that it wasnt at the time as they were waiting for the new brick drive way to settle as it had only been laid that day there reply "oh unlucky" !!! theres many more but dont want to upset people who might think insurance companies are squeky clean!!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:47   #20
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul3346 View Post
Legally, all accidents should be reported within 24hours OR as soon as it is practicable to do so. If you pass a police station on the way home and cannot be bothered to call in, then, you have not reported the incident as soon as practicable to do so.
I thought the law only requires accidents to be reported :

If someone has been injured in the accident, or -
If one (or more) of the drivers involved fails to stop at the scene, or -
If for some other reason names and addresses of the drivers involved are not exchanged at the scene of the accident.

So if those involved are not injured, stop and exchange names and addresses, the law has been complied with -

is this not correct?

I accept it's much easier for insurance purposes if the accident has been reported, but I don't think the law requires it in all cases.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote