Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Red / Orange coolant question

Views : 2274

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2020, 21:48   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi pity you didn't get the volvo coolant from dealer its not that expensive 50/50 mix been using it for 20 years in my diesel i replace it at 3 year intervals easy job and all good so far . the garage stuff should be ok .
but you cant beat genuine blue/green volvo !!!! only my personal views
you don't need to change it ...👍🏻
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 09:36   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Have had genuine Volvo 50/50 mix in my B200F since the cylinder head went back on in 2005 shortly after I acquired the car. Never actually changed it but occasionally had to drop some out for maintenance. eg:replace heater valve, replace water pump. Always top up if required with more 50/50 mix. I’m partially colour blind but when consulted recently our daughter advised me that the coolant in the expansion tank is the same colour as the unused 50/50 mix I have in a plastic bottle in the garage, ie: blue/green.
Will soon be using the syringe extraction method to remove coolant to test/replace the thermostat.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Mar 6th, 2020 at 09:38. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 10:18   #13
haymitch

Phoned the garage this morning. They said that they used a universal red coolant made by Comma - he's going away to find the precise spec that they used.

He said that they now use this on all cars and that he's never seen any problems using it and mixing it with older coolants. He says that they used to see problems with sludging when the OAT coolant was introduced and mixed with ethylene glycol but the newer universal coolant is designed to be backwards compatible with all types which is why they use it.

He seemed genuinely surprised and he's been very trustworthy with other things, so maybe it's a difference of opinion? Looking at the comments a few other people think the same. Another forum post I read seems to suggest that the newer coolant is okay in most cases but that ultimately the Volvo / other HOAT stuff is better? https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=29159.

Any thoughts? In any case, I doubt that I'd be able to convince him to flush and change the coolant for free given that his professional opinion is that it is fine. So I'd likely have to flush and replace the coolant myself if I went down that route.

Last edited by haymitch; Mar 6th, 2020 at 10:31.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 11:27   #14
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll phone them and check that they didn't use the OAT coolant tomorrow and then update. Heh, nothing is ever simple!
If they had used OAT you would have found out by now. It's pretty aggressive and quick acting in its destructive powers when mixed in an engine containing tradition anti-freeze..

For choice I use Comma Xstream G48 (as previously recommended by Comma and not what they now recommend on their website!).

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Mar 6th, 2020 at 12:46.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 11:35   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Phoned the garage this morning. They said that they used a universal red coolant made by Comma - he's going away to find the precise spec that they used.

He said that they now use this on all cars and that he's never seen any problems using it and mixing it with older coolants. He says that they used to see problems with sludging when the OAT coolant was introduced and mixed with ethylene glycol but the newer universal coolant is designed to be backwards compatible with all types which is why they use it.
I've heard of that coolant and from what i understand, it should be ok. At least he is aware of the problems OAT coolant can cause. It appears from what i can find on Commas website this is most likely the stuff they used :

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-v...ducts/view/298

If so, you should be ok but i'd be inclined to do your own flush, back-flush and renew all the coolant with a known ethylene glycol antifreeze concentrate and water mix.

I'm not sure on the Volvo HOAT stuff but i do know on Hondas of a similar era, using Hondas Type 2 (which is pretty similar) antifreeze causes problems and just to reinforce that, those engines are all alloy so in theory, it shouldn't.
Don't forget the majority of gaskets haven't been replaced in your engine, the Honda version of HOAT tends to eat through them causing leaks, here, there and everywhere.

That's one of the problems when you have a 20+ year old car, most garages don't know any different now because none have experienced ethylene glycol.

Also many lube/coolant suppliers aren't aware of any foibles of a particular model - for example Comma state their version of Dexron II-D will be fine for the auto box in my Rover - it won't, it will kill it in very short order!

To be exact, it causes the clutch linings to fall off the clutches because it destroys the adhesive resulting in no drive and a mahoosive repair bill.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 16:35   #16
haymitch

Okay, sounds like things are probably fine for the moment in that case. I'll keep a close eye on coolant levels. I think I'll leave it for the time being but try and make some time to replace / flush the coolant myself. I was planning on replacing the hoses, radiator and heater control valve (I have an model with AC) as part of preventative maintenance, so I'll tackle it then. I can't tackle it right away because of ill health and a lack of space, but I'm moving house later in the year which should fix the latter at least!

Thanks all for your help and advice.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 19:06   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Okay, sounds like things are probably fine for the moment in that case. I'll keep a close eye on coolant levels. I think I'll leave it for the time being but try and make some time to replace / flush the coolant myself. I was planning on replacing the hoses, radiator and heater control valve (I have an model with AC) as part of preventative maintenance, so I'll tackle it then. I can't tackle it right away because of ill health and a lack of space, but I'm moving house later in the year which should fix the latter at least!

Thanks all for your help and advice.
I'd say that was a very good plan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 19:55   #18
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Comma G40 red ethylene glycol is what is in my Fabia so it's probably the same stuff, you are most likely alright then.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 12:15   #19
V70Peter

Hi - Ive just bought a 2012 D4 V70 diesel
its got red/orange coolant in the reservoir
how do I check if its the correct type ? - is there a test kit I can get which, maybe like a litmus paper that you dip in and it shows which type you have... good or bad ?
cheers
V70Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Peter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 13:57   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Peter View Post
Hi - Ive just bought a 2012 D4 V70 diesel
its got red/orange coolant in the reservoir
how do I check if its the correct type ? - is there a test kit I can get which, maybe like a litmus paper that you dip in and it shows which type you have... good or bad ?
cheers
Is it red or orange though? It sounds very similar to the coolant in my Jag which can be red, orange or green from the factory. Should be a label indicating the type of antifreeze you need near or on the expansion tank or something in the handbook to confirm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394125965255

Currently out of stock but they're a Ford dealer so will restock i expect. That's the orange stuff and the WSS-M97B44-D 2361571 is the number for that antifreeze. It has a 10+ year lifespan so it should either have been changed recently or is due one soon!

Because of Fords ownership of both Volvo and Jaguar from 1999-2010, there are many common parts/fluids etc, they just need finding!