Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control Problem.

Views : 2049

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2003, 07:39   #11
zetec

Yep, just door trims, easy, few clips, speaker and marker light wire swapped, job done. No fuses blown, windows and mirrors work fine.
Sad bloke that I am I sat in the bath and last night going through the wiring diagram off your web site. Looks like I can test most of the control unit pin connections/circuits are working correct. The only tricky one might be the speedo output signal, might need to get the back of the car up on stands and get it up to speed.

Next posting will be "Where can I get cheap replacement front panels and bumper" or "How do you remove a 940 from your garden wall"!
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 15:18   #12
zetec

Found the control unit today and started to check the wiring as per diagram on George's page but I have a few more wires on mine and don't think it is the 9 pin one. I'm going to try and remove it tonight to get a better look. Any advice on getting the control unit checked? Do they go wrong....
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 19:25   #13
George Holmer

Instructions for ECU checking is in the FAQ above.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Crui...gesDiagnostics

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/AW71; 115k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 21:50   #14
zetec

I got to my ecu and removed it so I could get a better look. It has 14 pins and Georges diagram is not the same. I looked in my Haynes manual and in it was my ecu with wiring diagram, bit basic but better than nothing. I located the diag wire! First run basic test without having driven the car and got expected fail code, then went for a drive and rechecked and got a 1-1-1 which is no fault found...
Then tried component test and all passed apart from the RESUME switch does not give any code which means in theory it is faulty. Checked the stalk and works as per switch diagram, from the switch it is a straight contact to ecu which test fine, While their I checked all the other pins and they all act as they should.

Had a call round today for a s/h ecu, no joy for my part number. Tried for a recon unit still no joy. Volvo can supply for £98+vat.

Whats the verdict, should I try a new ecu or forget I every had cruise and give up?

PS. Called local Volvo independent who said they would do the same as I have and at the end if they could find nothing else would suggest it might be the ecu...lot of money if it aint!
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 21:56   #15
George Holmer

I would check and recheck, make sure all the vacuum lines are airtight, that the throttle wire from the bellow is tight and operates the pulley AOK, be very sure the system is 100 per cent and then I would rewire earth from the pedal switch to permanent earth which would exclude a faulty bulb failure relay. If all that fails, then I'd fork out for a new ECU.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/AW71; 115k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 19:07   #16
Wentworth Man
VOC Member

Default RE: Cruise Control Problem.

Echoing George,
Check the physical connections as well as electrical ones.
I can send you a scan of the appropriate pages for the 14 pin version from the Green Book for my 92 model. Drop me an email address off forum and I will forward you a higher res scan.

I would say hang on for a replacement ECU - and keep your eyes on the scrap yards - they do turn up now and then but they do seem to be rare in the UK, I have had to get mine from the US.

Tony
'92 945 S 150K

The Moon is 238857 miles distant from the Earth so I've been to the moon and back in mine...and it only took me 14 years!
Wentworth Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 21:19   #17
zetec

Thanks lads,

My email is kevin.beall@talk21.com

I am finding loads of cars fited with cruise but with a different part number. Almost worth getting one if cheap to see if it works.

Will try thing with perm earth, and also thinking of rigging up a patch cord to get the pump in the car to see if it does do anything or see if it gets any power from ecu.

Will keep the updates coming, sure they might be of use to someone in the same position at some time.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 22:43   #18
Wentworth Man
VOC Member

You have mail :)

Tony
'92 945 S 150K

The Moon is 238857 miles distant from the Earth so I've been to the moon and back in mine...and it only took me 14 years!
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 09:49   #19
zetec

Thanks but I don't know what it is as there was a error message reported, could you send it again? Thanks in advance.

The search for a s/h ecu is proving difficult, tried about 20 places so afr and zero results. Any ideas? Or if anyone wants to send me their working ecu I could see if that cures the problem! Yer right!

Does anyone know if any 14pin unit will work?
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 10:41   #20
Wentworth Man
VOC Member

Trying to resend but still getting message it is over quota - what is the limit on your mail attachments?

Can't see just any 14 pin working unless it has the same pin out and logic so would probably have to be a Hella unit as a minimum and you could find out who else Hella OEM'd cruise controls for. I know Jaguar used the same vacuum pump so you could try that for starters?

Tony
'92 945 S 150K