Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New S80

Views : 1341

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 20:14   #11
vanbeck1

Maybe I am a cynic, or realistically it is because I cannot afford a new S80 so I say, think of all the new car launches in the last few years. It usually took about 2 years before the teething problems were ironed out and the car made sense to buy. if you can afford to be a beta tester then go ahead, but you may be losing money, Then of course you could donate the car to me.
vanbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 20:41   #12
gnhuk
Balding.............

No you're not a cynic- it is always better to buy the last of a model built rather than the first - on the grounds that they know how to put it together by the time they've reached that stage..........
2012 S40D3 R-Design

Last edited by gnhuk; Sep 28th, 2006 at 20:42. Reason: grammar.........
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 21:52   #13
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I'd thought most dealers would have one in for test drives - try asking for one via the Volvo web site. The other/better thing to do is go for a freedom drive - again details on the web site, though they are on the last couple of events for now, keeping checking. I've done this a couple of times now, you get about half an hour to take the car out on your own.

I doubt you'll get any serious discount, and in my experience the VOC discount is no more than you'll get by just asking. Regarding spec, if you leave it until next model year, or possibly the next, the 'basic' spec will be added to. For example, the 2006 model year of the old model was the same price as before but had probably what would have cost £3K of options included.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 23:21   #14
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post

I doubt you'll get any serious discount, and in my experience the VOC discount is no more than you'll get by just asking. Regarding spec, if you leave it until next model year, or possibly the next, the 'basic' spec will be added to. For example, the 2006 model year of the old model was the same price as before but had probably what would have cost £3K of options included.
The VOC discount is on top of dealer discounts...

I've bought a couple of new cars before, and the trick is to be utterly ruthless and open. They want your business (on the whole) and its quite amazing the deals that you can haggle if you're prepared to travel round a few local dealers, play them off against each other and roll up your sleeves and barter like an Indian market trader.

Going back to when the S40 T5 was first launched, I managed to negotiate a considerable sum off the list price. From memory, down from circa £24k list to just under £20k with 3 years servicing thrown in (this was before they were offering this as a sales incentive). This doesn't include any VOC discount, just dealer discounts.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:44   #15
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbeck1 View Post
Maybe I am a cynic, or realistically it is because I cannot afford a new S80 so I say, think of all the new car launches in the last few years. It usually took about 2 years before the teething problems were ironed out and the car made sense to buy. if you can afford to be a beta tester then go ahead, but you may be losing money, Then of course you could donate the car to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhuk View Post
No you're not a cynic- it is always better to buy the last of a model built rather than the first - on the grounds that they know how to put it together by the time they've reached that stage..........
Yes gents both of you are correct,the thoyught has only just crossed my mind this morning that usually the first lot of cars always has some kind of bugs in it and it can take upto 2 years to sort.....i think i will wait a little longer and stick to my trusty old steed which i already got..
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 15:58   #16
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Well, yes, technically, but what you'll find is that the dealer discount is actually all or part of various discounts they can get from Volvo, and the Club discount is simply another name for these. They won't give the dicount to you twice. I baragined hard with several dealers last year (on the outgoing S80 model, so you'd have thought they would be keen), and that was the story every time.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 16:06   #17
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
Well, yes, technically, but what you'll find is that the dealer discount is actually all or part of various discounts they can get from Volvo, and the Club discount is simply another name for these. They won't give the dicount to you twice. I baragined hard with several dealers last year (on the outgoing S80 model, so you'd have thought they would be keen), and that was the story every time.
When pricing up a new S60 before the summer with my local main dealer, we came up with a 7.5% VOC discount on the list price, and a 7% dealer discount on the "reduced" price making a total of 14.5% discount on a new car. Not a spectacular discount by any means but I distinctly got the feeling that had I had my chequebook in hand I could have bargained harder.