Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Olympic Swimming pool in footwell

Views : 1870

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 17:40   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Inspect your cabin air filter. It's paper and will be garbage if it got wet. Replace it.

Lift your carpets and dry everything with old towels.

Keep the carpets up so that air gets around them for a few days.

Park the car in a garage and run a dehumidifier for a few days. Yes, days. There will be water everywhere.

It every chance, inspect progress and always wipe up water with old towels.

Under the right-hand front set is the amplifier, and in that cavity is the gyro sensor.

If they have gotten wet, remove them and open them and dry them thoroughly. Corrosion WILL happen on the wet electronics. If you can dry out all moisture, you can make them last longer. You can also put them in the oven at 40° to 50°C for an hour or two to get them warm and dry.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Feb 20th, 2022 at 17:44.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 18:12   #12
ithomso1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Inspect your cabin air filter. It's paper and will be garbage if it got wet. Replace it.

Lift your carpets and dry everything with old towels.

Keep the carpets up so that air gets around them for a few days.

Park the car in a garage and run a dehumidifier for a few days. Yes, days. There will be water everywhere.

It every chance, inspect progress and always wipe up water with old towels.

Under the right-hand front set is the amplifier, and in that cavity is the gyro sensor.

If they have gotten wet, remove them and open them and dry them thoroughly. Corrosion WILL happen on the wet electronics. If you can dry out all moisture, you can make them last longer. You can also put them in the oven at 40° to 50°C for an hour or two to get them warm and dry.
I think I've caught it before there's damage to under the front seat... Hopefully...
ithomso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 11:09   #13
ithomso1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
Aye, what he said.
I mess about with Rover 75s a lot & they quite often get wet on the inside, the only way to dry them out properly is remove the carpet & hang it up to dry. I have recommended this to many people, yet surprisingly few people actually take it on board (thinking the heater will dry it) & end up with electrical issues & horrible smelling interiors. In the case of the 75 you’ll get about a gallon out of each footwell & the carpet can take weeks to dry. I always keep a dry carpet “in stock” for such occasions.
After lifting the front carpet partially, and seeing the volume of water - I've now elected to lift them completley when I get time!

I just didn't realise how much foam is under the carpets! I expected a 1Cm or so, not 4!
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 15:26   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithomso1 View Post
I just didn't realise how much foam is under the carpets! I expected a 1Cm or so, not 4!
4cm of foam which has soaked up the water.
There is a lot of moisture there, don't expect it to dry in one day.

Expect the drying process to take a week or longer.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 15:30   #15
ithomso1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
4cm of foam which has soaked up the water.
There is a lot of moisture there, don't expect it to dry in one day.

Expect the drying process to take a week or longer.
Carpet now removed, wet vacced all the channels out.

Can dry the carpet in the shed at least after I've VAXxed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220221_150835496.jpg (265.8 KB, 29 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ithomso1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 17:43   #16
2Diesels
Premier Member

You can see now why it’s important to lift the carpet out & dry it properly. I’m pleased you took it on board🙃
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 12:40   #17
ithomso1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
You can see now why it’s important to lift the carpet out & dry it properly. I’m pleased you took it on board🙃
I've also decided to remove the Yaw/Gyro sensor and get it drying out! Fortuntaley no visible signs of corrosion yet on the terminals. But for the sake of 2 8mm bolts, better safe than sorry.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 18:08   #18
2Diesels
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithomso1 View Post
I've also decided to remove the Yaw/Gyro sensor and get it drying out! Fortuntaley no visible signs of corrosion yet on the terminals. But for the sake of 2 8mm bolts, better safe than sorry.
Yeah, very wise move, the 75s suffer with the side impact sensors after a flood that hasn’t been dried out properly
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 18:30   #19
ithomso1

Hopefully my last reply on the topic - i've now stood squirting the hosepipe at the car in all resonable places for 10 mins and i've seen no water ingress, so those scuttle panel drains are 99% the culprit!
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 19:40   #20
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

More than likely, but check your door seals as well, dust with talc and then hose the car down and check after 10 mins or so if any of the talc has been washed away .... the seals are only on with dbl sided tape and they can part company from the door/bodywork of they have been frozen shut and wrenched open, look ok, but can leak.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
footwell, puddle, water