Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Worst nightmare RTA!... Help me please.

Views : 1701

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:03   #11
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

You might get it free of charge, especially if the other party's insurer is dragging their heels - THEY are paying for the storage of the car till the claim is sorted. That's what happened with the original Loki (my 245GLE) when a housing department van remodelled the front wing and headlamp. I asked for the salvage and they let me dispose of the shell after I'd stripped it of spare parts. There was too much damage for a repair and the car wasn't worth enough beforehand to warrant the expense.
If the other side get awkward take out a private action against the driver, stating that (s)he is required, at law, to put you back in the position you were in immediately before the accident, i.e. in possession of a 240 Torslanda with the various bits and let them sort out the sourcing of a replacement...

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 21:46   #12
Checkpoint Charlie

Default Write off

First off was the accident 100% the other person's fault. if so then you do not have to accept write off value unless you are claiming from your insurer. No agreement to accept write off value exists between you and the other insurance company only between you and your company. When our Volvo was hit the insurer was going to write it off until I pointed out I would not accept that and would see their driver in court as his liability toward me is unlimited. They paid more than 50% above write off to repair the car.
Regards,
Checkpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 22:00   #13
yragyrag90

Default Fault?

Thanks for the input.
Unfortunately the accident was my fault. I feel really bad, not only for putting an end to my good driving record but also for probably writing off a beautiful car.

I'm probably going to buy back the car from the insurers and keep it in a friends garden to use for spares.
Expect a few sales adds for parts on here.

I'm looking at a few cars at the minute (all 240's!) I have looked at a couple of automatics, just thinking, would it be really hard to convert an auto to a manual using the parts straight from my Torslanda?
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 00:35   #14
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

Done auto to manual conversions on 240s twice. Easy just nuts and bolts work. The only bit I don't like is changing the pedal box and drilling the hole for the clutch master cylinder! Tip here, use the pedal box as a stencil for the locations of the hole for the push rod & the two bolts. Not difficult just unpleasant as it involves crawling up under the dash!

Don't forget you'll need to swap the flywheels over and fit a spigot bearing (cheap) into the back of the crank

And you'll either need to swap the radiator or plug the holes for the oil cooler pipes from the auto box.

You'll also find that the selector on the auto box has a switch for the reverse lights, these will need snipping of the selector and connecting to the reverse light switch on top of the manual 'box. Just need extending and female bullet connectors crimping on the end.
There are also two wires which stop the starter motor engaging if the auto box is not in park or neutral (obviously for safety). These will need to be snipped off and connected to each other, otherwise you'l find that you won't be able to start the car!

Everything else is just like changing a clutch.
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:57   #15
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

What a bummer. Really sorry for you, but glad you're okay. That's the main thing.
Bent metal, sad as it is can be replaced....................... nuff said!

Good Luck & do let us see your next 240 soon!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, torslanda, write off