Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Ph1 towing wiring

Views : 3946

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 18:17   #11
CPH

Thanks Ed, but I've wussed out and have booked the car in at Bank Farm Trailers in Newport this coming Friday to have the electrics fitted properly.

At least I won't have to turn the air blue trying to do it myself, although I'm sure it's not that difficult. Plus, if it's going to be as cold as it has been today then I'd rather not be fettling cars anyway.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 18:23   #12
mikealder
VOC Member

I will add some instructions to this thread after tea as I have worked out where to splice in to the wiring to avoid upsetting the bulb fail detection circuit which might be handy for the place you are taking the car to, if they simply splice in to the wires going to all the bulbs in the rear cluster the extra load of the trailer bulbs will mess up the detection circuit and put the bulb fail light on the dash all the time a trailer is plugged in - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 18:59   #13
mikealder
VOC Member

LH Indicator Green wire at rear of light cluster.
RH Indicator Blue/ Green wire at rear of light cluster.
Reverse Blue wire at rear of light cluster.
Rear Fog Violet/ White wire at rear of light cluster.
Brake Yellow wire at pin 12 of bulb failure detection unit.
Tail White wire at pin 3 of bulb failure detection unit.
Earth take to earth stud just below either rear tail light clusters.

The bulb failure unit is located under the LH side load deck base which simply pulls up, by attaching the Brake and tail light trailer wiring to the input side of the failure detection circuit you wont upset the bulb failure light on the dash. The black plastic box is about the same size as a packet of 20 fags and has a 14 pin connector going to it.

To avoid the use of a relay for the indicators make sure the indicators onthe trailer of of the LED type without integral balast resistors as this type of "bulb" draws such a small amount of current it will have a marginal effect of the flash frequency of the indicators.

As for fridge power/ caravan battery charging make sure they fit a split charge unit as the car battery needs to get enough charge before the caravan battery is switched in - Mike
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 21:27   #14
xc70jason
Premier Member

Hi Chris,just one thing to remember on having a 13 pin (euro) socket is,it'll be part of the MOT!.

The 7 pin isn't.

Jason
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:24   #15
upv5
VOC Member

The 850/V70 do have a socket for the towbar wiring but only if you use the genuine Volvo wiring loom. This has a double sided plug which goes into the bulb failure device and the original loom plugs into the reverse side of this special plug. Power is picked up from 6CD player loom in a similar way. Indicators & reverse lights connect to the available spades in the rear light units.
No cutting, splicing or scotchlocks required. The Volvo loom comes in 7pin, 2x7pin & 13 pin variants and fog light off relay is also available. No software upgrade required for 850/V70.

When I bought it a few years ago, the full 13 pin kit costs around £70.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 17:34   #16
CPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc70jason View Post
Hi Chris,just one thing to remember on having a 13 pin (euro) socket is,it'll be part of the MOT!.

The 7 pin isn't.

Jason
Thanks for the heads-up Jason, didn't know that. I will still plug ahead (no pun intended) and go for the 13 pin electrics - I cannot stand the 7n and 7s sockets by comparison.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 17:36   #17
CPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post

The bulb failure unit is located under the LH side load deck base which simply pulls up, by attaching the Brake and tail light trailer wiring to the input side of the failure detection circuit you wont upset the bulb failure light on the dash. The black plastic box is about the same size as a packet of 20 fags and has a 14 pin connector going to it.

To avoid the use of a relay for the indicators make sure the indicators onthe trailer of of the LED type without integral balast resistors as this type of "bulb" draws such a small amount of current it will have a marginal effect of the flash frequency of the indicators.

As for fridge power/ caravan battery charging make sure they fit a split charge unit as the car battery needs to get enough charge before the caravan battery is switched in - Mike
Mike,

Thank you once again, I shall print off your instructions and take them with me to the place fitting the electrics!

Cheers,

Chris
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 17:00   #18
gizmo9

Smile Great stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder

Hi Mike, pleased I happened across this post.. worked great for me. apart from the right hand tail light is not working, this may be the bulb! although I noted that on the 12n plug there is a wire for left hand and right hand but there's only a connection for left hand tail light on the above, so I'm thinking maybe the fog or reverse is possibly wrong? I'll look into it.. but that said it saved me lots of hassle, great job buddy.

Last edited by gizmo9; Jun 16th, 2013 at 17:03. Reason: more detail
gizmo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 19:34   #19
mikealder
VOC Member

The connection for the tail lights needs to be spliced to both the left and right tail lamp bulbs - Mike
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 19:13   #20
gizmo9

Default silly me

Thanks Mike.. silly me, that makes total sense now you mention it. Thanks for putting me straight on that
Cheers buddy.
Carl.
gizmo9 is offline   Reply With Quote