Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 s1 For Sale

Views : 1655

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 10:50   #11
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Cheers Jack on all fronts !!!

Thinks have perked up this morning - despite my hpi check revealing a change of keeper on 17 Jan the DVLA could not tell the seller of the best all round one I have seen if they had received his V5 or not - the very same change of owner revealed by the check on weds and reflected by the V5 he received this morning !!!! There is just no hope for this once wonderful country cos all the tories know is how to take the poor mans money and line their pockets with it !

Note ( pun ) your condensation point. Went to see one yday and the entire inside was covered in mould. Asked the trader why and why the jack ( pun ) was rusted to hell and he explained a rubber grommet in the boot was missing. Did not add up to me so another wide berth And wasted hours! A good pointer in any event for which I am eternally grateful. Will let you know if we transact over the weekend owise might be trekking to Basildon !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 11:28   #12
Bigfella666
Premier Member

And the biggest fault I have found is does not matter if 70 or 140k on the clock you can guarantee the drivers seat bolster has gone. Yes fading headlamps is the other one with a slightly easier fix. When detailing my R end of last summer I was staggered by the improvement cutting compound combined with a polishing sponge on the rotary had to appearance on all exterior plastic.

Pleased to say on the mota I hope to bug this weekend I have already looked at almost all of your pointers save the rear drums. Strikes me that a weeny little mota burning out front discs on 35-40k is a reflection of how ****e the rears are. Only pure engineering talk from me today !

Have a good one
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 14:47   #13
capt jack
VOC Member

Hi Bigfella

The Note doesn't have too many weak points, but the one thing that does get mentioned a lot is its ability to steam up and be difficult to clear.

I think it's due to that fact that it has big windows, and a not great airflow through the car.

I've found that if you use the fan on full, with the A/C on, for the first mile or so on a cold damp morning, and then turn down the fan to level 2 and keep all the dash vents open then it's fine.

The other thing that makes a difference is leaving the back parcel shelf off. The cabin air exits from two small vents under the rear hatch, and having the shelf on simply blocks these off! No shelf means much better airflow!

Also, Notes are popular as short-distance runabouts, which of course means that quite a lot of the time they never really get well warmed up.

If any car has a mouldy smell and a rusty jack then there's water getting somewhere. The bit about the boot grommet is utter tosh. On a Note water gets into the cabin either through the pollen filter, or via the rubber gasket around the high level brake light. Otherwise it seems to me to be a well-protected design.

The centre brake light grommet is self-adhesive, and if you change the bulb then you'll probably need a new one. Mine started to break down a bit, and water was running down the back screen. When I took it apart the rubber gasket was perished. A new gasket was £4.50 from Nissan, and dead easy to fit.

Like all cars, the pollen filter will clog, which limits the air flow into the car, and will also leak if it becomes very fouled up. New ones are around £6 I think, and are changed from inside the car in about 3 minutes. It's easier if you remove the glove box lid, but that's not essential. The lid comes off with 4 or 5 screws.

That Basildon car looks OK to me.

The Bawtry one has the sniff of something not quite right somehow.

Don't forget that the 1.6 Note has a sturdy little chain-driven engine. You see lots at well over the 100k, and having owned one now, I can quite see why.

Don't know why the drivers seat should suffer particularly - mine is absolutely fine!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 14:59   #14
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Cheers Jack

All being well I shall be buying the car this eve - 2200 on the other side of London to be precise !

Thanks for all the pointers, the Hitchin mota yday did not smell damp but mould was everywhere inc drivers seatbelt. Like I say did not seem right, coupled with worn gear stick top on 70k, you clearly agree. Note what you say re the bolster, but strikes me the cloth is very soft, I shall probably invest in some covers. Another one I looked at yday 143k on the clock, started first turn and if I did not know would have said it is a 70k car. Prob done lots of mway miles but as is typical with most cars if you keep up the oil change then it is not a problem.

Thanks for other pointers and hopefully tonight will be the end of the 4 week search - for a Note - what is the world coming to !
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 19:48   #15
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Hi jack

Delighted to report that a 2200 visit to Heathrow was entirely justified, head gasket test was a pass, HPI fraud check was a pass, $ change hands and bingo !

Similarly delighted. To be able to take my lad learning to drive on an entirely legal basis, trip up to Cambridge on the chainsaw today with some junior driving on the way, boy did good and we both got home in one piece. A v clean 06 1.6 but I suspect the oil change is well over due. Aim to teach the lad to do it next weekend, if you could confirm the oil - 5/30 fully synth I suspect and a quality fluted filter I should be obliged. Otherwise everything else seemingly in order although I accept only time will tell.

What is your view on tyres ? There is much discussion on the Note Forum re buying 87 db tyres but with the engine / road noise I see it as difficult to justify worrying about ?

Do you have somebody reliable and competitive you typically buy your parts from ?

How are you getting on with the V70 purchase ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 22:16   #16
capt jack
VOC Member

Hi Bigfella

Delighted for you - that's excellent news.

As far as I know yes, it's a 5w-30 oil, not sure off the top of my head if you need fully-synth. I haven't had the Note serviced in my care, and when my daughter was running the car she had the service done at the Nissan dealer so they will/should have used whatever Nissan specify!

I check the oil regularly and it never uses any so I don't even have any top up!

As for tyres, for many years now, on my old V70, the old Saab, on the S70 and on the Note I've always chosen Cooper tyres. We have an excellent branch locally of a firm called Wilco Motosave, who sell Cooper tyres. I like Coopers because they seem to last, they have an excellent puncture warranty (replace with new and only pay for the tread you've used), and they aren't expensive.

The Note is an exceptionally quiet car, but I have to be honest, road and tyre noise just isn't really an issue for me.........I'm significantly deaf!

Having said that, it's higher frequency sound I don't hear, but I do hear low-frequency sounds, and when I wear my hearing aids these can be amplified. I think it was more to do with the tyre size, but when I had the Saab to my ears it suffered from tyre roar! Passengers with 'normal' hearing however always said that it was a quiet car! That car had low profile wide 235/24/17 tyres, whereas the Note and our S70 have narrower and taller tyres on 15" wheels, and to me both these cars are very quiet.

As for parts for the Nissan, well it's never really needed anything in the time we've had it in the family! A wheel bearing, rear springs, a brake light switch, a rear-screen washer nozzle, high level brake light seal, a couple of bulbs and a set of wipers. The bearings and springs were sourced from local motor factors, the brake light switch from GSF, the nozzle and seal from Nissan (less than £30 all in), and the wipers and bulbs from Halfords. We've had it since November 2014, and it's gone from 29k to 55k in that time.

The only serious money spent on the Note was a new i-Pod compatible audio and the associated steering wheel control adaptor. I fitted this for my daughter when she had the car, and it's still there. But for all the reasons above it doesn't really matter too much to me!

Hope you enjoy the Note!

Not done anything more about a V70 I'm afraid - there's just never any time!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Feb 4th, 2017 at 22:22.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2017, 22:08   #17
awpv70

seems i'm not allowed to reply to pm's, so if you send me one, please include an email contact. thanks
awpv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 10:59   #18
nivram
nivram

Is this V70 still available please?
nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 00:07   #19
ld0595

What a stunning car. Would definitely be interested if this is sill for sale...!
ld0595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 21:32   #20
awpv70

Default re V70

I put it in autotrader last week and it went to live in Folkstone on friday, seemed a nice guy who bought it, and he promised to look after it.

Had five calls the day it went online, so still some interest in that model.
awpv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awpv70 For This Useful Post: