Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hole - drilling yobbos

Views : 1911

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 22:03   #11
FixMyVolvo
VolvoDriver

I like the idea of the green sticker for insurance and an MOT sticker. +1
FixMyVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:38   #12
silverback02
Premier Member

Hi Guys.
I don't know about the rest of the UK but over here in Northern Ireland we Allready have the MOT windscreen disks same size as the tax disk.
Joe.
silverback02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:16   #13
mharriso
Master Member

in oz your "tax disc" as it is in blighty, includes the cost of complusery third party insurance so if you have a tax disc the other road users are insured.
Easy for the police; no sticker no drive, vehicle is taken off you... they also remove the plates too so you have to pay to get them back.. i reckon its great, anyone who has been in a tangle withan uninsured clown i guess would agree...

down side is there are cops everywhere and they have guns... so doing a runner if you've been out for a spin in the hills can get interesting....makes for good news at dinner time though...
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:38   #14
stumph

In the UK you have to show proof of insurance and MOT to get a tax disc, so displaying a tax disc is effectively showing you have both anyway?
stumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:45   #15
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumph View Post
In the UK you have to show proof of insurance and MOT to get a tax disc, so displaying a tax disc is effectively showing you have both anyway?
Unfortunately not so, as you can still get a tax disc, even if the insurance certificate is due to run out the next week, so display of tax disc is no guarantee of insurance.

I personally would welcome the Aussie/ Kiwi idea that your road fund includes basic third party insurance. That would cut down on the number of totally uninsured drivers, although you'll never completely get rid of the scroats who are happy to drive without tax/insurance/mot, and then deny ever having owned/driven the car!!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:31   #16
Hezi
VOC Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe View Post
Unfortunately not so, as you can still get a tax disc, even if the insurance certificate is due to run out the next week, so display of tax disc is no guarantee of insurance.

I personally would welcome the Aussie/ Kiwi idea that your road fund includes basic third party insurance. That would cut down on the number of totally uninsured drivers, although you'll never completely get rid of the scroats who are happy to drive without tax/insurance/mot, and then deny ever having owned/driven the car!!
Anything that gets these buggers of the road is a good thing and worth a try,that or a decent punishment.Public flogging comes to mind as suitable !
Hezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 19:33   #17
steeshy

Unhappy Sticky Number plates

Just at the start of the New Year, I was stopped by the police because I had a faulty tail light on my S40. They scrutinised my car in detail whereupon they saw I had my number plates stuck on. I was told to get these replaced with the only legal way of fixing them to your car i.e. screws. They gave me a notice period of 28 days to get it sorted or I would face a fine. I checked this with the dvla and it was correct. Moral of the story is avoid the police in the area of Peterhead/Aberdeenshire in N.E. Scotland.
steeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 20:16   #18
Viper_7
Premier Member

that's interesting - so most cars are sold with faulty numberplates then!

Just been reading up - think it only applies to the front one - watch this space!
aye - the front has to be mounted exactly vertical, so if stuck on then it's liable to shift - so must be screwed.

but perhaps DVLA are talking about stuck on plates that actually stick to the bodywork? now these are illegal as they don't match the standards - but there are some exceptions for vehicles that were originally designed with stick on plates on the front of the bonet etc - but again these are not vertical.

Not as specific for the rear.

Yet we have the proposal of anti-thef plates coming about, and they are stuck on!
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.

Last edited by Viper_7; Jun 19th, 2007 at 20:29. Reason: other bumph
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:29   #19
LankyTim
Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeshy View Post
Just at the start of the New Year, I was stopped by the police because I had a faulty tail light on my S40. They scrutinised my car in detail whereupon they saw I had my number plates stuck on. I was told to get these replaced with the only legal way of fixing them to your car i.e. screws. They gave me a notice period of 28 days to get it sorted or I would face a fine. I checked this with the dvla and it was correct. Moral of the story is avoid the police in the area of Peterhead/Aberdeenshire in N.E. Scotland.
Miserable gits!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:03   #20
strider

To return to the original post. Maybe whoever put the plates on was lazy. However, an alternative is that using the existing holes may have made the registration look incorrect. That is a black head screw might not have aligned with the lettering (and white/yellow likewise with a gap or not partially over lettering).

I'm sure we've all come across people who use the dots on the screws to make the plates more personal. I've heard of one guy, surname PICKUP who used that trick on a registration like P11KUP (don't quote me I only illustrate as an example, reg may be wrong, it was a while ago ).

So may have tried to put the registration plate on correctly (i.e. legally).

Having said that I have not heard of one person stopped for having an incorrectly spaced number plate. Even if stopped for some other reason I have not heard it said the number plate was also picked up on. Maybe people on here know different, I'd like to know if so.

On the subject of MOT and insurance. IMO the Germans have a good system. There's a little sticker on the rear number plate. Easy to check by any following police car. I understand the system works like this. When you register a vehicle you must be registered yourself at your address, must show a ID card or passport, a form from your insurance company and a tüv test certificate (and emissions cert where applicable). You then get a registration plate stamped up, and the registering office applies their official sticker and one for the tüv (mot equivalent). If you subsequently stop paying insurance or don't fill in the details for the insurance company etc, they write to the local vehicle registering place and declare that the vehicle is now illegal, so it will flag up on police computers. I think I'm right in saying the insurance company is still responsible for 'uninsured losses' or damage caused by that vehicle. If you sell a vehicle without de-registering it and handing in the plates, you are still responsible for the vehicle. Obviously the system only works with a (theoretically) foolproof ID system and registering where you live. They also send you a tax bill every year based on engine size and emissions (so like our tax disc then).

HTH
strider is offline   Reply With Quote