Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850R warped head

Views : 1302

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2010, 21:56   #11
br850

Default warped means sha***d

You can generally skimm say 10-15 thousands of an inch off a cylinder head before you have to worry about increasing the compression ratio too much. Beyond that and you get into issues about valves getting too close to pistons.
One answer is to recess the valves a bit deeper but then you end up grinding the stem to get the valve clearances back. Its a lot of hassle and time and expense
Triumph Stag v8's were bastards for warping heads and with them if you took too much off the heads the inlet manifold wouldn't fit anymore. Using 2 head gaskets was tried for a while until they brought out a special double thickness gasket.
The gaskets were so expensive though it was easier in the long run to put a Rover V8 in the car.

Do any on the tuning houses do multi layered gaskets where you peel layers away until you get the right compression ratio?
Just a thought but probably expensive anyway.

Good luck with the fix.
br850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 22:02   #12
volvot5turbo

Thanks for that. The fix is being done by CNH Autos in Pershore. Chris is a fully trained Volvo mechanic who branched out on his own and has set up a very respected and trusted service. Just hope he can perform miracles with this one at not too much of an expense for me.

Just had a £7,000 job offer increase today and somebody up there has found a way for it to be spent..........I love Volvo's and to own an 850R to me is a dream - by that I mean no matter the cost, this is one car that will not be going to the scrapper.........

Will see what they say tomorrow but I have my eye on a couple of heads.....
Old May 10th, 2010, 22:54   #13
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Why not get a second hand engine?£350 is the norm from any good Volvo breaker.

01254 234382 Adam is a very good bloke who brakes Volvo's and he also will courier the engine if need be.
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote