Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2013 XC70 Lower Ball Joint - Help

Views : 1883

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2023, 07:11   #11
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
...my Makita LXT impact gun
Now I'm jealous
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 14:43   #12
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierx View Post
The lower control arm needs a huge amount of downward force to remove the balljoint. If you don't have the special long pry tool, you need a really heavy friend to stand on the lower control arm while you pull the balljoint free.

Thankfully I have been able to borrow the same friend every time I have had to do this 🤣

When doing the ball joint, I first tried cutting off the rivet heads, but they would not punch out with any amount of force, almost like they had welded themselves into the holes. I ended up removing the entire lower control arm and drilling what was left of them out on the drill press
After looking at it and messing around today, I think that the ball joint pins are press fitted into the ball joint, then the sheet steel of the control arm is assembled around that and then the protruding ends of the pins are riveted. So there is no way to push them out even after the heads are cut off.

I ground off a couple of the heads and had a go at getting them out, but as you say, it's impossible.

I have now made the executive decision to just replace the control arms with new parts. It's probably not needed, but at least I will have new bushes, which is one less thing to worry about down the road. Parts will be delivered tomorrow and it saves me having to go and find an engineering shop with a drill press. Costs a bit more, but peace of mind is valuable. It was pretty easy to get the entire control arm off earlier. The bushes dont look too bad, but there are cracks here and there and the control arm is rusty in places.

On the plus side, I pressed in the new wheel bearing today and it went without a fight. So the cheap eBay tool works well and I now have a shiny, new and smooth running front left wheel bearing. I think leaving the bearing in the freezer overnight probably helped a lot with getting it in easily.

Sadly I need to do some paying work this afternoon, but this evening I will dismantle the front right of the car to get it ready for when the new control arms appear tomorrow. Hopefully the car will be back on the road on Thursday or Friday.
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 14:48   #13
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post

Now I'm jealous
Even worse, I found a reason to go and buy an LXT angle grinder this morning. I was trying to grind off the heads of the ball joint studs and the Dremel just wasn't cutting it (no pun intended).

The Makita made short work of it, and now I can also go out stealing catalytic converters of an evening (joke).

Seriously though, a decent impact gun makes things like working on suspension so much easier and faster. I don't know how I managed working on cars before I had one.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 14:58   #14
al dm

Oh....and a quick question.

Does anyone know the torque settings for the control arm to frame bolts?

My copy of VIDA appears to have gone tits up this afternoon....
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 18:24   #15
37 RUBY
Master Member

I'm away from my computer but can get them in the morning if you can wait...?
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 18:41   #16
al dm

Quote:
I'm away from my computer but can get them in the morning if you can wait...?
Of course - no issue. I wont be fitting new parts until tomorrow afternoon earliest.

I started taking apart the right hand side and made good progress. I have everything apart and the lower ball joint separated and moving freely, but not quite out yet.

Had to stop as I need to cook for my kids....

I managed to snap the brake disc retaining screw on the right, so I will get a replacement for that tomorrow from my favourite little fasteners shop, and also new bolts for the brake disk shields as they are rusted to buggery.

Oh....one important question....the RHS control arm has a strangle looking plastic lever mounted on it that seems to attach to a sensor. Anyone know what this is? I presume it measures the control arm compression for some reason but I don't know what for. Active headlight levelling maybe?
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 19:39   #17
37 RUBY
Master Member

No worries. Will post the torque figures tomorrow.

Yes, link is for headlight level control. Dont break it. Volvo only sell it with a new sensor.Mine was seized and creaking but I managed to pop the offending ball out of its rubber housing albeit with a fair bit of faff. Ball sanded smooth and pressed back in with a slather of grease.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 20:13   #18
al dm

Quote:
No worries. Will post the torque figures tomorrow.

Yes, link is for headlight level control. Dont break it. Volvo only sell it with a new sensor.Mine was seized and creaking but I managed to pop the offending ball out of its rubber housing albeit with a fair bit of faff. Ball sanded smooth and pressed back in with a slather of grease.
Good stuff - thanks. It's only held onto the control arm with a single small screw, so I should be able to get it off without breaking it and then clean it up and grease it.

Which does of course beg the question....will my new control arm have the screw hole for it? If not, it's going to be a case of drilling and tapping.

I am also going to replace the two bolts that secure the lower ball joint to the steering knuckle. They are usable, but pretty corroded, so I think new ones are in order.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 23:43   #19
37 RUBY
Master Member

Hello

Torque figures -

lower arm to front subframe(front mounting): Stage 1: 140nm, Stage 2: 45 & #176; <--- I'm not sure how to dechiper that last portion - perhaps you or someone else can clarify? Does it mean 45degs + 176nm? Or something different?

Lower arm front to subframe rear mounting (rear mounting), 175nm for both rear bolts.
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 10:55   #20
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Sorry, came to this thread too late - I had to do all this a couple of years ago. Having spent a long time grinding off and then drilling out the ball joint retaining rivets I wished I had just bought the entire control arm, as you have done. However, it all worked fine in the end and is still going strong 50,000 miles later. I made up/adapted a standard ball joint splitter for the job, which worked well once made.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote