Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

R-Design v Executive

Views : 3574

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2010, 05:38   #11
AKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentagas View Post
Exec is better equipped but more expensive.

R design is for rich chavs IMHO.

How many rear exhausts do you need anyway
I thought it was more the mid-life crisis model?
AKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 06:12   #12
XC90 2010

Thought long and hard about which trim level before my recent purchase. At first I was swaying toward the Executive because I thought it costs more so it must be better. The Dealer had the Executive and R-Design side by side in the showroom, so it was easy to compare everything by getting in and out of each car.
In the end I decided on the R-Design as the exterior looked more interesting and it was easier to see it was a newer model. I also much preferred the interior with more supportive seats, better steering wheel and I prefer the aluminium trim over the wood grain. The colour combination I chose was white exterior with black leather interior and I must say after 3 months of ownership I'm still very happy with my selection. I went for the 3.2 6 cylinder engine and opotioned the car with RSE, Navigation/reverse camera, Bliss, bi-xenon active headlights, privacy glass and 3rd row airconditioning.
The only regret is no spare wheel option with the R-Design because of the dual exhaust.
XC90 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 12:19   #13
tahirs

I'm in a similar position, like the wheels/look of the R Design better, but have 2 other queries:

SATNAV - What's the difference between the 2 systems? Doesn't look like you can spec the HDD one on the R Design

Audio - Is the optional "Premium Sound Audio System" the same as the audio system on the Executive?
tahirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 16:49   #14
e4gaa

Didnt see the Sat Nav differences. Cant believe the HDD option isnt available across the range? Anyone know?
e4gaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 17:43   #15
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Sat nav is the same. Sound system is not ie 8 speakers vs 12.
I can see the point of a v8 r design but since the d5 auto is the only engine now available in the uk I can't see the point. Yes the r design is cheaper but to specify the extra stuff would be expensive.
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 17:47   #16
tahirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentagas View Post
Sat nav is the same.
Is it? The configurator says the R Design one is DVD based and the Exec is HDD.

Quote:
Sound system is not ie 8 speakers vs 12.
I can see the point of a v8 r design but since the d5 auto is the only engine now available in the uk I can't see the point. Yes the r design is cheaper but to specify the extra stuff would be expensive.
Well, I would like a good sound system, and if the Exec's system is better than the R Design then I guess I'd go with it. Do like the R Design wheels though.
tahirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 20:33   #17
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
I wonder what Tony said

How's Coppull this evening? Hope all is well.
Coppull is fine mate, how are the 6th battalion doing for recruitment?
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 21:08   #18
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahirs View Post
Is it? The configurator says the R Design one is DVD based and the Exec is HDD.

Yes but the sept 13th price list shows that the only choice is the hdd version. Since the configurator showed the 185 ps version I would suggest it is not completely up to date. It is an option on the r design but standard on the premium

Last edited by Rentagas; Oct 5th, 2010 at 21:17.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 21:28   #19
XC90 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahirs View Post
I'm in a similar position, like the wheels/look of the R Design better, but have 2 other queries:

SATNAV - What's the difference between the 2 systems? Doesn't look like you can spec the HDD one on the R Design

Audio - Is the optional "Premium Sound Audio System" the same as the audio system on the Executive?
My R-Design (June '10) has DVD based SatNav and a 12 speaker sound sysytem (but sadly no subwoofer).
XC90 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 13:51   #20
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Default R design all show no go

Now accepting the r is only available as a D5 in the uk now:
I was driving to work today and was joined on the ring road by a 10 reg r design D5 which was being driven with the classic attributes of 4x4 drivers -weaving between lanes, no signalling, bullying driving etc. I assume it was a Volvo rep because it had s60 track day shuttle written down the side.
Anyway the driver was desperate to get past my car but couldn't despite the fact I was not having to try too hard. The xc90 was clearly being driven aggressively but it did not have the power.
My car? A mini clubman diesel- hardly a sports car.
I have to say I've never seen the point of go faster sripes etc. And I really can't see the point of driving a car that looks like it goes fast but doesn't.

Glad I've ordered an exec.........