Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whining sound and engine cut out after an Italian tune up

Views : 3595

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2012, 21:55   #11
Dog_Book
Idiot

Replace coils leads and plugs and go from there.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 22:00   #12
chomerly

I'm going to have to invest in some coils and leads that's for sure.

I've also changed the plugs for original Volvo plugs which i purchased from FRF .

It's the turbo rebuild kit that i need to be looking at now.

I might just hold off though until i get some proper engine oil.
I'm looking at buying some Magnatec and i'm hoping that will either stop the whining (doubtful yet hoping) or it will at least calm it down sufficiently until i get a rebuild kit or replacement turbo.

I would much prefer to get my hands on a rebuild kit so i can do a guide on how to do it on the site.
I love to contribute where i can.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 22:29   #13
Dazza007
Dazza007

the turbo doesn't have bearings on these. They are lubricated with the engine oil. There shouldn't be any play in the turbo (wobble) but not sure if it can move in and out (mine does). Check the oil pipe coming out of the back of the block going into the turbo, the seal goes and starve's the turbo of oil. If you're going to buy a re build kit why not just buy one for the t14 single scroll turbo you have. If my memory's correct the twin scroll Wont work on a 1.9t engine.
Dazza007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 00:27   #14
chomerly

Are you sure about the bearings?

The centre wheel shaft surely has to sit in bearings unless its hydraulic?
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 01:00   #15
Dazza007
Dazza007

I've never stripped one down bud to tell you the truth but common knowledge is the impellor spins on oil from the engine not on bearings (which is why the turbo can last the life of the engine, unlike subaru's which need replacing at around 30k). There is an oil pipe which run's from the engine which feed's the turbo its oil. Can't think of any other reason a petrol engine would feed its oil to a turbo. When the seal fails the turbo spins on metal and fook's it up. At full throttle the turbine can hit 100.000 rpm. Some say double that.
Dazza007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 10:32   #16
chomerly

I think the oil feed is to keep the bearings oiled while in operation.
This is why i think mine may have started behaving the way it has because the oil doesn't seem like its of very good quality.

I'm trying to figure out what the turbo model in my car would be.
So far i have found TD04L-14T-6 49377-06000 but i'm unsure if that is correct.
Can anyone confirm this for me?

Also, are these turbo's used across other models of Volvo's?
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 11:00   #17
960kg
Premier Member

All turbos have some sort of bearing for the impeller as otherwise the body of the turbo would wear out quick as it is cast. The bearings are not roller as in balls but solid Phospher Bronze bushes which can be replaced when worn. The impeller does float on oil due to the pressure but on startup or turn off there isn`t the pressure.

I would leave your turbo for now as to be it sounds ok as on the vid the revs are not moving with the noise!!!!

You will get a noise like that if the actuator arm is adjusted right up to max. as the turbo is trying to spool. It must be on 6 or 7 turns which is far too much. You want to turn it down a few turns and then see if the noise goes away. Have you checked your small boost control hoses from the compressor housing at the bottom of the turbo to the actuator housing they are both connected to TCV/ BCS (Boost Control Sensor) which controls the boost the turbo gives at whatever revs. for safety to the engine .......these may be corroded or the valve kaput?? ...if you have a leak it will give max. boost which again can give that noise if the turbo don`t like it !!

These things are only pointers and because of what you have done and the problems you now have you have to start somewhere.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 11:19   #18
chomerly

i'll get another video up in a little while as this new noise happens when depressing the accelerator pedal while in neutral.

I'm not even sure how the actuator is adjusted to be honest.
All i do know is that the noise never used to be there but now it is.
And having checked all the pipe work attached to the turbo there was nothing that i could see or feel that was out of place.

I was leaning towards oil quality, or lack thereof, being the culprit until i felt for play in the end float.
the impeller moves freely enough but the lateral play seems a little to much for me.
It's not touching the side walls but the amount of movement is kind of worrying which is why i was looking at rebuilding it.

--Edit--

Here's the link for the new video.

http://youtu.be/zNIFrLHdhUw

Surprisingly, it doesn't sound as bad since stripping that part of the engine bay to get access to the turbo.
It even started up on the first turn of the key since fitting the new spark plugs from FRF.

I'm going to try an oil change as soon as the weather turns for the better and see what happens with that.
If that fails to do anything then i will go with the turbo rebuild and i'll also buy a new, or nearly new, actuator as the one on there now is looking quite weather beaten.

Last edited by chomerly; Jul 6th, 2012 at 11:49.
chomerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 21:14   #19
chomerly

I've finally completed the service on my motor and the car is now using Castrol Magnatec as it's oil.
The old stuff looked pretty horrid to be honest and even though the turbo is running a bit more quietly than before, it is still doing it's impression of Ric Flair.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited by chomerly; Jul 7th, 2012 at 22:23.
chomerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 00:24   #20
Biotoxic
Master Member

lol it's a petrol not a diesel as I thought.. turbo will be fine until you will notice a white ish smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.
My car has developed a strange sound.. I will post a video later on.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote