Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to turn off Day Running Lights - I've had an idea

Views : 3810

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2014, 12:26   #11
geoffco

Why not just switch the three position light switch to the middle position - sidelights only? That way you've not got your dipped beams on all the time. You'd still have the sidelights but then surely some lights / being easily visible is never a bad thing!? Seeing the number of folks driving around without any lights in rain / spray / fog etc I have to admit I agree with the concept of some lights always coming on when the car is running..!

Geoff
geoffco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 12:38   #12
Johnny Kebab

Because you end up with a flat battery if you forget to turn the dial back when you stop.

JK
Johnny Kebab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Kebab For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 16:33   #13
geoffco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Kebab View Post
Because you end up with a flat battery if you forget to turn the dial back when you stop.

JK
Ahaa, right, I didn't think about it but of course it makes sense for that setting to not turn off with the engine that In my one year of V50 ownership I think I've only ever used that setting once to see what it did..!

Geoff
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 19:31   #14
jimimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Kebab View Post

JK
Yep that happened to me, what is the difference between position o and dipped they look the same
jimimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 19:47   #15
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

In position 0 with DRLs enabled you get normal dipped beam but when you pull the stalk for full beam it doesn't latch so the full beam only flashes while the stalk is held. In position (II) you get the same dipped beam but when the stalk is pulled back fully, full beam latches on. It is still possible to pull lightly and flash full beam.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2014, 21:03   #16
geoffco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
In position 0 with DRLs enabled you get normal dipped beam but when you pull the stalk for full beam it doesn't latch so the full beam only flashes while the stalk is held. In position (II) you get the same dipped beam but when the stalk is pulled back fully, full beam latches on. It is still possible to pull lightly and flash full beam.
Also, the headlight washing only activates along with the windscreen spray when the lights switch is in position II...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoffco For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 15:14   #17
kylegordon

I appreciate the desire to turn them off, and the garages citing "safety feature", but if they're part of the Type Approval for the vehicle, and subsequently part of the Construction and Use Regulations... does that not mean you can ultimately get done by the police for not having them?

All it would take is somebody to notice that you're in a post-2013 car with no DRLs on, and they pull you over.
kylegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 15:26   #18
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylegordon View Post
I appreciate the desire to turn them off, and the garages citing "safety feature", but if they're part of the Type Approval for the vehicle, and subsequently part of the Construction and Use Regulations... does that not mean you can ultimately get done by the police for not having them?

All it would take is somebody to notice that you're in a post-2013 car with no DRLs on, and they pull you over.
The OP did say that his was an '04' model.
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 16:59   #19
kylegordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMe View Post
The OP did say that his was an '04' model.
I need my glasses checked! :-) Apologies for that.
kylegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 23:09   #20
DT19
Master Member

Bah! so I'm not going to make my first million quid with that idea then.
Reading some of the points made on here I'm not sure it's even a good idea to turn them off anymore.

What irritated me about the DRL's was when I first got my car and I was driving home one evening as it was getting dark. I had my DRL's on when I set off and didn't realise I hadn't put on my main lights until I was nearly home which I'm guessing meant my rear lights weren't on.

So, another idea would be a buzzer or something similar wired into the light switch to let me know my headlights are still on when I turn off the ignition. Is that easy/possible?
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote