Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent "Engine Service Required"

Views : 8907

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 23:11   #11
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
Check the variable nozzle actuator using method described by GSMGuy in the diesel section . The variable nozzle mechanics inside the D5 turbo look fairly bullet proof to me . I am repairing a D5 turbo at the moment and the failure on it was due to oil seals and thrust bearing ( see photo I posted of the nozzle) , the vanes and mech look ok on mine and you could test this without stripping the turbo down . Also found the same on the good turbo I removed from my D5 and then refitted , it is making a slight whine but nothing near critical yet . I recently experienced a failed turbo on a Galaxy diesel and this was making a very loud whine for a long time prior to failure , still have to strip that one down but think its also a vnt .
Could you direct me to the right post so I can see the turbo picture?

In my case there is also this rasp noise around 3500-4000RPM which I think might be caused by sticking lever which opens/closes vanes in turbo. There is no whine on my turbo.

What technique did GSMGuy propesed for testing the valve?
v_matt_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 08:21   #12
Bernard333
Premier Member

Here is link to GSMGuy thread giving method for vacuum testing turbo actuator , its under heading ECM6805 cured and its worth checking the whole thread as this seems to be a common fault .

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88190

Attached are photos of the D5 163bhp turbo variable nozzle , cant find my original post with photos but was around October last year . I wouldnt recommend going as far as taking the turbo apart unless there is something definitely wrong as getting mine apart involved some force bordering on breaking the exhaust casting . The small bone shaped levers all fit loosely into the recesses on the outer ring which is turned back and forward by about 15 degrees by the actuator . As long as this turns freely its probably ok and the GSMGuy test would be good enough without taking the turbo apart . On the turbo in the photo the rotor has very little play and definitely no more than a good turbo but it is letting oil from the core into the exhaust housing , on a bad one the rotor can be so loose that its rattling about hitting the castings . You can now buy a new variable nozzle assembly from Mellets but in my case its not necessary .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_04881935.jpg (321.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_04871934.jpg (173.6 KB, 137 views)
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 09:17   #13
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

That's great. I'll have a look at that within the next week. Do you know if the governor and the lever on the turbo can also be stripped down and replaced?
What exactly Garrett turbo model number is for 163BHP?
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 18:46   #14
Bernard333
Premier Member

The Garrett part number is GT2052V which I think covers a range of turbos and you could see the same one fitted to other cars . The additional Volvo number is 723167 - 2 which I think defines the exhaust casting and the way it fits to the car . There are at least three different turbos for the D5 so check carefully before relying on this number , one turbo for a D5 has a solid one peice exhaust turbine / exhaust manifold which me being a dickhead didnt check properly before buying so I now also have a nice new turbo which might come in useful in about ten years when I buy a used 185bhp V70 D5 . The governor/actuator cannot be stripped as far as I can see as its in a pressed steel cylinder , the variable nozzle operating arm which is mounted in one of the core castings can be removed .

Last edited by Bernard333; Apr 19th, 2010 at 18:54.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 22:16   #15
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Thumbs up

It looks like the problem is solved.

Thanks guys for your advices.

Like I suspected from the beggining I had to replace the turbo. The sticking governor arm was the problem. It casued ECM-6805 code because the air pressure from the turbo was too high above 3500 RPM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 23:08   #16
v70-xc90man

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_matt_v View Post
It looks like the problem is solved.

Thanks guys for your advices.

Like I suspected from the beggining I had to replace the turbo. The sticking governor arm was the problem. It casued ECM-6805 code because the air pressure from the turbo was too high above 3500 RPM.

Hi can i ask you please what the total cost was for a new turbo and labour etc- many thanks
Is it possible to free up the sticking governer arm by lubricating ? or is it just worn internal components causing it to stick ?
v70-xc90man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 23:25   #17
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70-xc90man View Post
Hi can i ask you please what the total cost was for a new turbo and labour etc- many thanks
Is it possible to free up the sticking governer arm by lubricating ? or is it just worn internal components causing it to stick ?
I bought a used turbo for 100 quid. I can't afford paying 600-700 just for turbo. It's impossible to lubricate it becasue the part which is stuck is inside the turbo. Basically the exhaust penetrates the shaft and leaves carbon deposits inside. It builds up and stops the governor from moving.
You could try recalibrating the governor arm by moving the screws but it doesn't guarantee that it'll work.
The Following User Says Thank You to v_matt_v For This Useful Post: