Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Got myself a caravan to tow behind m7 1999/2000 V70

Views : 2729

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2013, 14:42   #11
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

forgot to mention that jason

ron.
elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lyron For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 07:44   #12
heyskull
Heyskull

Well finally got the van into my workshop to start fettling.
The bottom of the entrance/barn door needs straightened out as the previous owner had an unwelcome guest try to stay the night!
Time to get the multimeter out as the rear lights do not work and have a trailer board attached (which kind off works!).
The van is dry as a bone and has smoke and CO2 detectors fitted and two red gas bottles.
It came with a brand new fridge, toaster and microwave and a unused small porch awning.
The water heater doesn't work but my friend has one going for free, which is good as I can't stand things that should work and don't!
The rear window has been replaced with another but unless you looked real hard it is a good fix.
I am going to clean the outside and replace all the graphics which is a simple job as I am signmaker and can recreate any graphic.
Yes it does have some small bumps and blemishes, but I am quite happy with these as if I do add anymore I will not be to upset.

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 23:17   #13
c_lee
VOC26332

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
The water heater doesn't work but my friend has one going for free, which is good as I can't stand things that should work and don't!

SC
Before you condem the water heater, and if it's a carver cascade 2, check that the fuse in the control unit isn't blown.
It's in the small brownish box you use to turn on the water heater.

Can't remember now the reasons for this fuse to blow but it was blown on my van and once replaced allowed other problems on the water heater to be diagnosed and fixed.

Colin
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 08:21   #14
heyskull
Heyskull

Well I swapped water heaters over.
But when you turn the gas part of the heater on, the lights flicker on the control unit (brown box) and then it blows the left hand fuse inside the control unit.

I haven't managed to check the electrical side as their is a water leak on what I can only guess is the main tank seal. So I have some new seals on the way.
I can only guess that with the seal leaking and the electronic box directly below it (stupid design!!!) something has fried internally.

SC
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 08:04   #15
heyskull
Heyskull

Update...

Well I have got the electric side of the water heater working so I am going to leave it as that at the moment. I'm never to happy with gas anyway and will leave it till I can afford a new burner unit.
I have re-floored the van with new carpet and a self adhesive wood flooring around the kitchen area and entrance and it looks really plush now.
The extractor fan now works and the roof light covers all retract properly again.
Their is a number of blinds missing in the van which is still a mystery why they were removed, but the girlfriend is on with making a fresh set of curtains to keep the light in/out

I am also on with recovering the worktops in a granite effect print (I will do this myself as this is what I do for a living) and recover the walls in the shower/toilet area with a more modern design.

I have removed the trailer board of the rear and reinstated the original lighting.
Some of the rear lenses had gone white so I have just replaced with red bulbs until I can afford some new lenses.
The previous owner had absolutely no idea and had wired in this trailer board attaching the wiring cabling to the brake rod!!! Which can't be a sensible idea!!!!
It is looking a lot cleaner on the rear end now and the only issue is I have had to re-use the trailer boards rear lights also (inset next to the number plate) as the number plate lights had been discarded. This is not an issue as it gives me an extra set of rear tail lights to the rear also.
All the marker and repeater lights work now which with being such a long van I thought was an issue that needed to be remedied.

SC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heyskull For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 13:14   #16
heyskull
Heyskull

Update on progress:-

Solar Panel is now fitted only 10W but can keep the battery fully charged.
I still need a new 110amp leisure battery as the old one is playing up (more expense!)

Recovered the bathroom with some self adhesive vinyl I printed which looks very modern now.

I now have LED lights front and rear along the bottom of the locker units.
These use a lot less power than the fluorescent ones. I opted for the warm white colour rather than bright/daylight and it certainly makes the van look warmer.

I now have new fire extinguishers and fire and carbon monoxide detectors.

I wanted a little portable LCD TV but finding one of these cheap was proving a mission.
So I have purchased a Sony all in One PC for £20 and fitted it with a USB freeview connection £6. This now gives me a TV for playing films and DVD's on and makes it able to connect to the internet also.

I now have had all the wheels off and hubs dismantled and greased.
I have cleaned out the brakes and checked and adjusted everything works as it should.

I also acquired a spare wheel and a bottle jack. The logic of this is, if I have it I will never need it.

The girlfriend has finished all the curtains now and I have vaxed all the cushions.

On the car side, I have installed rear spring assisters and some new roll bar links. Next thing is to fit new front pads and discs as they are juddering/warped.

Just wanting the weather to improve at get out there!!!

SC

Last edited by heyskull; Jan 26th, 2014 at 13:16.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heyskull For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 00:25   #17
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

You should have lots of fun with that van.
Any photos of the work you done inside?
One thing ,how heavy is it? both empty and loaded.
Edit: looked it up and is listed as miro 1125KG and Max Wight as 1400KG ,still worth a look on the plate to check
Roger.

Last edited by rogerb; Feb 20th, 2014 at 00:33.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 07:29   #18
heyskull
Heyskull

Hi Roger

The weight you have stated is on the plate.

I have it parked at home at the moment (no place to store at work anymore!).
I am now ready for the weather to improve as it cannot get any worse as it seems to rain one day and blow a Gail the next, up here in Cumbria!

The only concern I now have is on towing home their was a definitive smell from the clutch after reversing up into its parking space.
I am hoping, no praying that this is not a sign of a very expensive clutch repair!
My theory is if it can still smell, it still has some friction material on the clutch lining!

SC
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 07:57   #19
heyskull
Heyskull

Well we took the caravan away this weekend (spur of the moment decision).

All was well and no more clutch smells.
I reckon I was driving as I normally do, for economy. I realised that keeping the revs up rather than letting it labour low down is a sure cause of killing the clutch.
Consumption figures are normally about 36-39mpg on a run but we were down to about 21mpg and maybe even less. Is this about right?
It tows well but unlike what most caravanners say "You hardly know it's there".
Their is no mistaking you are pulling nearly 1.2 tons behind you!
I'm just glad I replaced the rear discs and pads and freed of the callipers as the brakes now work smoothly.
Strangely everything worked as it should and any things I would like to add are very minor.
Brilliant weekend even if it was very windy on site.

SC
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 12:50   #20
DC850
VOC Member

Hi Heyskull
Gald you had a great trip for your first time out, Yes the MPG does drop due to hills and more wind drag. Once you been out a few more times you will be come less aware of the van behind as you get use to towing.

I have just changed my Tow car from a 850 to a XC90 and have currently not towed with it. The van I have is 96% of the 850 but only 65% of the XC90 so I expect I will not know its there.

Hope you have many more great trips this Year...
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote