Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I really need help with this brake issue

Views : 1148

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2023, 11:10   #11
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Just being the same bra d and even the same range is neither here nor there.

For example, supposedly identical Bosch pads from the same range are made in both Germany and India, and you don't know which you'll get. However, you can guess which ones are more prone to squealing and glazing.

It looks like a duck, it quacks like a duck, we can be fairly sure you have a problem with a small aquatic bird of the genus anatidae.

That being the case there is no way round it - the only way you'll discover the cause is substitution of components, which means buying new components in order to be able to do so. That being the case just buy the genuine items, ensure they're fitted properly and start enjoying life again. There is no second way.

Coming from a race car background (engine builder and develooment engineer but after 35+ years hanging about workshops and pit garages you cqnt help but learn a few things about other stuff) I can tell you that anti squeal layers on the rear of brake pads don't do much at all, unlike the anti -chatter shims and clips on some calipers that actually do quite a bit. Sticking anti squeal layers to the rear of the pad is a waste of time and money.

Also use proper moly brake lube, not copperslip. It's lasts longer, and doesn't damage piston seals or guide pin boots if it gets where it shouldn't.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jun 19th, 2023 at 11:16.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 13:58   #12
Forrest
VOC Member

It wasn't clear to me from the video whether you are only getting the noise when you press the brake pedal or whether it continues after you release the pedal.

Do the wheels turn easily by hand when you raise the car?

You need to establish whether the brakes are binding (squealing even when you're not pressing the pedal, wheels getting hot, excessive brake dust) or just squealing when you brake. The fix will depend on the actual problem.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 14:22   #13
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
It wasn't clear to me from the video whether you are only getting the noise when you press the brake pedal or whether it continues after you release the pedal.

Do the wheels turn easily by hand when you raise the car?

You need to establish whether the brakes are binding (squealing even when you're not pressing the pedal, wheels getting hot, excessive brake dust) or just squealing when you brake. The fix will depend on the actual problem.
It is exclusively when I press the pedal. When I press really hard it doesn't make much or any noise unless the car is already almost stopped. Also when pressing lightly/not too hard is when it is louder. In the test for the video I was just applying low pressure on the pedal and letting the car come to a stop naturally. That's what made me think it might be a vibration issue. Less pressure = more room for vibration being my line of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
It looks like a duck, it quacks like a duck, we can be fairly sure you have a problem with a small aquatic bird of the genus anatidae.
I know what you mean and I would tend to agree with you. But the fact that the rear discs are still the OEM it would mean that the pad would be making this noise on both the same brand parts and also on the OEM part.
Those clips on the caliper bracket where the pad slides on maybe very well be the culprit here too, but then why did the rear brakes start making noise too after I assembled the new ferodo pads? The system is completely different.

I feel this is either, like you said, pads, maybe they are defective, I don't know. Or the lack of anti squeal shims, which is really the only factor that is the same in both front and rear.

Other than that, maybe an unrelated issue with the caliper??? But what are the odds of all calipers failing at the same time just right after I installed the shimless pads!?

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jun 19th, 2023 at 14:33.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 14:30   #14
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Well they are called anti squeal shims for a reason. So nothing on the backs of the front pads at all? Metal against the piston.🤔

The shims that come with the back pads are sometimes separate so can be reused.

EBC and 3M sell adhesive shims:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253775735694

Oh, the Volvo junk is made in India now too. No good.
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 14:39   #15
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Well they are called anti squeal shims for a reason. So nothing on the backs of the front pads at all? Metal against the piston.🤔

The shims that come with the back pads are sometimes separate so can be reused.

EBC and 3M sell adhesive shims:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253775735694

Oh, the Volvo junk is made in India now too. No good.
The pads came without shims and ferodo doesn't sell shims separately either. what the hell are they thinking!?

Yes, I installed them without any sort of shim. I thought ferodo knew best. Why didn't I buy the Brembo ones...

Yes, that is the kind of stuff I was looking at, but I can't find it locally. I might have to order from the UK. Thanks for the link though, I had only found the M3 ones and some other brand.
The main issue is not knowing how they would call this stuff in portuguese or spanish. Maybe I would be able to find it.
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 14:43   #16
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quotes from another forum, so anti squeal shims do work at walking speed.

Quote:
These pads are actually brilliant, used them first on a Lotus Elan, then my A2 and now my RS3. Low speed brake squeal on the RS3 (and I believe the TTRS) from 5 to 0mph is a joke, but these self-adhesive pads have sorted the problem for me.
Quote:
I have to say that after a couple of months use I am also impressed with the Pagid pads. They seem to produce less brake dust than OE pads too, which is a bonus. However I did notice some embarrassing squeal when reversing in the wet (sounded like a wounded seal ops: ) , so I bought some aftermarket 3M adhesive pads (like a thick vinyl sticker really) to stick on the backs of the brake pads - much better now.
There's a reason why every manufacturer (except Ferodo it seems ) put shims on the back of pads. If they 'didn't do much at all', they would save 2p per pad and not fit them.
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 15:44   #17
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Quotes from another forum, so anti squeal shims do work at walking speed.

There's a reason why every manufacturer (except Ferodo it seems ) put shims on the back of pads. If they 'didn't do much at all', they would save 2p per pad and not fit them.
You are a legend mate. The EBC tip was gold. I went on their website. they have a pretty vast network of dealers. Called a couple somewhat nearby (next town over) and one was able to order them for wednesday tops. For 5.85€ plus fetching gas, it's quite a cheap "see if this solves it" attempt.

Quite literally all. I mean, I had a look on autodoc and I didn't see any that didn't have either a shim or a "glued pad". I sent Ferodo an email asking about this issue. Will be interesting to see what/if the respond.
The pads to make the car stop! They just wake the whole town in the process.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 19:26   #18
SalvadorP
Master Member

TL;DR: It was the definitely the anti squeal shims.

So, I did buy the EBC kits and I applied them today. I would say the problem is solved, for now. I say for now, because after a 50km test drive, when I was arriving home, the car started squealing again, much, much lower though.
So it's either because I did not cover the whole surface I had to cover, or the material of the EBC shims is just too thin and is going to rapidly deteriorate.

Either way, I can claim with 100% certainty that the squeal/screech heard in the video posted was definitely from the lack of anti squeal shims. And so, if the car starts doing it again I will just cut my losses and buy new pads from a brand that makes them with shims, which is virtually any other than Ferodo (including the cheapest crap you can find on autodoc). I will also try to forget I ever considered Ferodo a reputable quality brand.

Old Jan 5th, 2024, 12:38   #19
SalvadorP
Master Member

So, after a short while, the M3 rubber pads wore out and the car started squealing again. Embarassing. I had to burn rubber on parking lots and shoot out at green lights just to prove that, despite the noise, the car wasn't in fact old and falling appart. God, I hate Ferodo.

Anyways, I finally ordered some Brembo pads, taking advantage of a massive blackfriday discount. Those come with the back plate, like ANY OTHER, excluding Ferodo's. God, I hate them.

I swapped them and threw the still basically brand new Ferodo pads in the garbage. The rear pads still make a little bit of noise. I have to buy the plates to replace the M3 rubber pads. They do sell the backplates for the rear pads as a separate part.

Conclusion to this story. If your car squeals like a seal being burned alive, no matter how much people tell you it's this or that. Check the backplates, if they are missing, that's the problem. Friction and microvibrations.
And most importantly, do not buy Ferodo.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jan 5th, 2024 at 12:42.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post: