Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 Volvo s40 Power Steering Fluid

Views : 2345

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 16:17   #11
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo123 View Post
disturbed, i hear a grinding noise near the powersteering pump and alternator, can a faulty power steering pump be causing the leak.
That grinding is indicating a lack of atf fluid in the motor/pump.
The fact that your top up bottle fills up when you start the engine seems to indicate a blockage somewhere.

Have you tried checking tracing the pipe from the bottom of the top up tank to wherever and the tank exit for blockages.
This would be my next move...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 16:58   #12
Neo123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

That grinding is indicating a lack of atf fluid in the motor/pump.
The fact that your top up bottle fills up when you start the engine seems to indicate a blockage somewhere.

Have you tried checking tracing the pipe from the bottom of the top up tank to wherever and the tank exit for blockages.
This would be my next move...

Des. . .

the grinding noise is constant, as i accelerate it get louder. My first thought was the alternator but its been six months and i have had no problem with the battery, so i dont think its that.

the pipe under the reservoir goes somewhere at the back of the bottom of the engine. should i take that off and give it a clean.
Neo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 17:45   #13
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

HI,

I did say "That would be my next move".
My next move would actually be to harass Dave Pengelly for him to have a look at it..

Ok, the fluid is getting through the system - eventually. It should not be collecting in that bottle.
The flow from the system (return flow) is, or seems to be Ok - thats where all your fluid seems to leak from.
SO.... from the bottle to the pump and perhaps then to the rack is, or appears to be blocked/broken/non-functioning.

So yes, if you can, check the pipe and the bottle exit pipe for a blockage.
I assume that other than the leak from the bottle the system is clear of leaks..?

Des. ..
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 00:34   #14
Neo123

Quote:
HI,

My next move would actually be to harass Dave Pengelly for him to have a look at it..

Ok, the fluid is getting through the system - eventually. It should not be collecting in that bottle.
The flow from the system (return flow) is, or seems to be Ok - thats where all your fluid seems to leak from.
SO.... from the bottle to the pump and perhaps then to the rack is, or appears to be blocked/broken/non-functioning.

I assume that other than the leak from the bottle the system is clear of leaks..?

Des. ..

One thing i should add, once the car started, the fluid level increases to about half way to the top of the bottle. It doesnt go higher, its only when i drive it a while a day or so i can see it poured on top of the bottle near the lid. Also when i turn steering wheel full lock either way the fluid for a second is sucked out of the bottle and then returns back.

This is getting me big time, i take it to the garage and they dont know what they talking about. im gonna clean the pipe which goes from the bottle to the pump tomorrow to see if it does anything.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 18:27   #15
Neo123

Smile

Quote:
HI,

Des. ..

right i checked the output pipe from both ends from the bottle to the pump, it seems it okay, a large amount of fluid was lost when i opened it, as i closed it and started the car the fluid started to accumulate in the bottle and thus poring out big time.

so ive drained the fluid out and put some more in and bled the system. As of yet it hasnt leaked out.

i think theres a blockage somewhere, cant i get some fluid which can clean out the pipes.

Last edited by Neo123; Mar 9th, 2007 at 18:35.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 18:59   #16
kwaka

the only thing you can flush with is atf. solvents cleaners can wash bearings or damage seals and other types of oil may not be able to mix with the atf. by the way, is the oil or the pump getting hot? because that noise could be a bearing going, and causing the oil to boil.
kwaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 20:38   #17
Neo123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaka View Post
the only thing you can flush with is atf. solvents cleaners can wash bearings or damage seals and other types of oil may not be able to mix with the atf. by the way, is the oil or the pump getting hot? because that noise could be a bearing going, and causing the oil to boil.

the fluid is not getting hot, i think the bearings are going on the alternator not the pump. gonna replace that soon.