Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Losing power under load

Views : 3064

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 09:05   #11
Audrey Old
VOC Member

A few years ago I had similar problems on one of my Volvo 164s (which has the same fuel tank, carb and pump as the 144). I used my tyre-inflation foot pump by hand to send a rush of air back down the fuel line into the tank, and the bubbling could be heard, so I assumed all was now OK.
That lasted for about a mile when it gave the symptoms of fuel starvation, it needing lots of choke to get home. I removed the tank (lots of screws round its flange onto the boot floor) and found the metal fuel pipe was almost solid rust just where it left the tank. I eventually removed the threaded bit, and with a bit of prodding with a cycle spoke inside the tank found it all bunged up inside - not an area I could get at to see why.
I had a decent tank from a 144 I scrapped years ago (it pays to be a hoarder!) so replaced mine. I also had to fit a fuel-proof rubber pipe for the rearmost yard or so of the metal fuel pipe, and all was well from then on.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 09:12   #12
Computer Jones

Paul, thanks for the input! I fitted a fuel filter a couple of weeks ago (either it didn't originally come with one, or a previous owner took it off or something- goddamn) and I can see now that the fuel coming out is slightly brown, and little flecks of rust are starting to collect in the filter. Things are obviously not all well in fuel tank country! I'll have it cleaned out next week.
Computer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 12:32   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Once the filter insert starts to go brown, consider it to be virtually blocked by the ultrafines. I tried to filter some "brown" fuel through a brand new and quite large Crossland filter and the flow stopped after about 1 gallon. What came through was still brown but lighter so the particle size in that must have been close to sub microns. Filters are cheap, change often if you have rusty tank problems, and keep a couple of spares in the boot!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 20:13   #14
Computer Jones

Not sure why I didn't mention this before, but there's what is probably an insane amount of play in the distributor rotor- about 90 degrees. Can I assume the distributor shaft is damaged and if so, does anyone know where one can find a replacement? Could the timing gear also be responsible?
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 22:49   #15
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

There's your problem. There should be virtually no flopiness, but there should be springiness if you grab hold of the rotor arm. You should be able to twist it with some resistance and it should snap back to its original position when let go

I restore knackered distributors, but yours sounds like it's beyond it. Unfortunately I don't have the correct distributor at the moment for you, so you want to put out a "wanted" for an 077 type distributor

You'll notice a massive difference in performance, drivability and fuel consumption with the correct distributor in it
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 23:16   #16
Computer Jones

Actually, it's a brand new distributor, a 123Ignition. But maybe, being electronic, it's supposed to have some play- I don't know. Anyone else use one?
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:22   #17
arcturus
arcturus

The "play" you mention is normal with 123. It's part of the advance mechanism inside the dizy. Not slop in dogs. I have one fitted on mine
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 16:59   #18
Computer Jones

Thanks! Thought so. I'm guessing it's the timing gears, or perhaps a blocked carb jet or something. Parts soon to come there.

In the meantime, replacing the fuel pump this weekend. It seems OK but you never know- and it's good to have a spare...
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 17:35   #19
arcturus
arcturus

Don't touch the timeing gears. they can't slip. Check the timing on dizy if you have a strobe. Should be 34 at full advance, 10 static.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 17:44   #20
kishor kassie

Default loss of power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Jones View Post
Thanks! Thought so. I'm guessing it's the timing gears, or perhaps a blocked carb jet or something. Parts soon to come there.

In the meantime, replacing the fuel pump this weekend. It seems OK but you never know- and it's good to have a spare...
Hi. Please do not open the timing gear as it's not the problem. Sounds like fuel 'starvage', perhaps bring it to me and I will sort it out as I have spares if needed. Only near the Dartford Toll. Ta, Kassie 078 2887 9494
kishor kassie is offline   Reply With Quote