Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 vs v60 vs freelander2

Views : 5956

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 23:28   #11
Rooster
Speed freak

why would a xc60 and freelander be any differant offroad as don't they use the same drive train,

Think i would prefer the D5 engine over the 2.2 diesel in the freelander
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 07:52   #12
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
From the day we bought the v70 a few joked that we had bought a hearse and it kind of stuck. Secretly I think she loves it...... but I did agree that we would both have to agree/like the next car as we will be keeping it for 3 yrs.

Maybe if it had been a R design it would appeal more. Previous cars were audis so we're a bit more flash, but a pain in the arse- always spending money on them.

I must admit I'm not keen on the latest v70s with the newer grill and rear lights
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the 'lets make it look like a Passat' facelift myself, though I would have thought they would have been above your £8k price range. The XC70's however do stand out a bit more.

I get a few jokes about my Volvo but you just have to ignore it.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 17:40   #13
Munro83

No I didn't think the newer v70 was in my budget. When I change cars every 2/3 years I usually change model as well for a complete change or else I can buy a car that's 2-3 years newer but looks identical- unless it's a facelift which in this case the facelift v70 looks a a bit too grandad for my liking.
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 19:19   #14
Munro83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
why would a xc60 and freelander be any differant offroad as don't they use the same drive train,

Think i would prefer the D5 engine over the 2.2 diesel in the freelander
The freelanders also have landrovers terrain response system which makes the 4x4 setup far better
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 19:45   #15
volvo145
Premier Member

Have you thought about a Toyota Rav 4 or a Kuga as apposed to a Volvo ?I have driven both also a XC60 and they all had there differences just like any other vehicle but not that much.
My mate has one of the last freelanders built but is going back to a Toyota because he prefers it in more ways than one.
Ok it is a Landcruiser but they are not as expensive as you might think taking servicing into consideration.
But it depends on what your wife likes in the end of the day..
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 19:59   #16
iain cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
The freelanders also have landrovers terrain response system which makes the 4x4 setup far better
yes the freelander will go anywhere, due mainly to it's drivetrain and ground clearance.

Iain
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 20:15   #17
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain cooper View Post
yes the freelander will go anywhere, due mainly to it's drivetrain and ground clearance.

Iain
Having my owned a Freebie 1 I can say the off-road abilities are good, very good. The best g fat let down for Land Rover products is the build quality. The HDC on my Freelander was excellent and it was brilliant on ice and snow but..... the issues or should I say expensive issues have put me off LR for good. I'd go with Volvo personally
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 09:51   #18
freypal

I've always owned land rovers myself as have my family. Me and my partner recently had our first baby so my Defender 90 had to go.

I initially planned to get a second hand Freelander 2. My dad had one and loved it as did my sister. Having drove a few they didn't really float my boat though. Maybe its just me being used to 'real' 4x4s such as the defender and discovery.

I've ended up placing an order for a new V60. I decided if I don't need the 4x4 ability then there was no point going for a soft roader so for.me.an xc60/v60xc was out of the question. The V60 is plenty big enough for us, economical and very comfortable.
freypal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freypal For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 08:40   #19
Munro83

Widening the net a wee bit:

How does the Volvos compare their BMW counterparts? For the same money I could get a BMW 320d m sport business edition with the newer 184 Bhp engine. If I could get hold A a decent 330d I would jump at it.
I hear the BMW engine is awesome.

My wife really likes the Passats, I'm not massively keen on them myself to be honest but it's her car so I have to think about them.

Interestingly within our bugdget next year might be a Mercedes c250...... but maybe a bit too flash? Expensive bills? Do these still rust?

So v60 d4 / BMW 320d / Passat 2.0d 170 / Mercedes c250????
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 09:59   #20
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Frankly I'd go for a D5 XC60 over all 4 of those.

The V60 is a gorgeous car, no doubt, especially pre-facelift, but you do feel a bit low down in one, and the visibility could be better. I drove a 65 plate one last week and they just don't feel quite right. Can't put my finger on it. Not as comfy as other Volvos. The boot isn't that big either. Me and my boss had one hell of a struggle getting a washing machine in there!

I've driven a 4 cylinder diesel XC60 auto and it was so utterly comfortable and easy to drive (it was also a base model - cloth seats). With a D5 manual I'd love one if I could afford it.

I've also driven a Freelander. Nowhere near as quiet, comfy, powerful or frugal. I haven't taken one off road though, so can't comment on that.

BMW, Merc and VW have consistenly fallen below Volvo in reliability surveys, and it shows where I work. We've had quite a few of each in lately with various problems. None are as nice a place to sit as a Volvo either, and yet all 3 retain their values more, which means if you're buying used, Volvos seem to be better value.

Frankly the Land Rover, Mercs and BMWs are all more expensive to repair, especially if you take them to a main dealer (which judging by the main dealer I work for is NOT worth doing). The Passat might be cheaper to repair, but genuine parts aren't really any better priced than Volvo, and VW aren't anywhere near as reliable as they used to be. If you're considering a Passat, a top spec Skoda Octavia estate would likely serve you much better, especially for the money.

Still, if it was my money, I'd be looking out for a D5 XC60.

Must admit, those C Classes do look bloody smart, though.

PS. I know these things are about as high quality as your average Vauxhall, but have you ever considered a http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ice-asc&page=1 Suzuki S-Cross? Value for money and reliability are nigh-unbeatable. As long as you don't get a diesel, that is.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...

Last edited by KerPLoD; Dec 3rd, 2016 at 10:11.
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KerPLoD For This Useful Post: