Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Kerbed alloys

Views : 2232

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 09:56   #11
markt1
Trader

If you want to refuse that their isn't a place for spot repairs then that's your decision I ain't going to try and make you see otherwise its obvious you've made your mind up, you have put your point across and I have put mine across but when I see a post saying I have seen more bad smart repairs than good then it may provoke debate from someone in the industry and I want to have my say as their is a place for all smart repairs when done correctly.
This chipping bussiness your making a point of would happen on full face wheels and spot/chip repairs if the lacquer is of poor quality or applied wrongly so to be honest you have that wrong it's all about technique and products,if I had done my wheels with cheap lacquer then it would probably be on M1 now.All paint and powder coating can chip! But powder coating is less likely as its harder.
As for warranty ask the person doing the repair if theirs one as most company's will rather than not,if I were to do yours I would honour a 2 year warranty.
Ninja you have some valid points on powder coating I don't want to seem like I'm on a crusade over blinking wheels LOL I just wanted some input especially when I've been in the repair trade many years,but.... In your defence if we had 2 wheels one powder coated and one base coated and lacquered I would expect 10 years down the line the powder coated one to look fresher.
Regards Mark.
P.S get that little scuff sorted out on your arch,I can do that 2 year warranty oh tell you what I will give you 5 :-)

Last edited by markt1; Jan 26th, 2013 at 10:14.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 13:51   #12
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt1 View Post
If you want to refuse that their isn't a place for spot repairs then that's your decision I ain't going to try and make you see otherwise its obvious you've made your mind up, you have put your point across and I have put mine across but when I see a post saying I have seen more bad smart repairs than good then it may provoke debate from someone in the industry and I want to have my say as their is a place for all smart repairs when done correctly.
This chipping bussiness your making a point of would happen on full face wheels and spot/chip repairs if the lacquer is of poor quality or applied wrongly so to be honest you have that wrong it's all about technique and products,if I had done my wheels with cheap lacquer then it would probably be on M1 now.All paint and powder coating can chip! But powder coating is less likely as its harder.
As for warranty ask the person doing the repair if theirs one as most company's will rather than not,if I were to do yours I would honour a 2 year warranty.
Ninja you have some valid points on powder coating I don't want to seem like I'm on a crusade over blinking wheels LOL I just wanted some input especially when I've been in the repair trade many years,but.... In your defence if we had 2 wheels one powder coated and one base coated and lacquered I would expect 10 years down the line the powder coated one to look fresher.
Regards Mark.
P.S get that little scuff sorted out on your arch,I can do that 2 year warranty oh tell you what I will give you 5 :-)
Hang on you did not even answer my question full face or full wheel refurb?

As for chipping I have seen it on many front face and smart repairs in my experience, and you seem to be just re wording the exact same thing -

Poor quality or applied wrongly means exactly the same as technique and products quite where you see the variation in the that statement is beyond me.

I do not need any repairs done to my wheels so I am fine, thanks....oh and of course they are powder so no paint here. As for warranties I know most of them will NOT give warranties on diamond cut wheels it is common place and practice, if you give it on diamond cut wheels I would be amazed (that is if you are even willing to take on one). However, I do put it to you why specifically someone like Lepsons would not do chip repairs or full faces considering there would be a market for such things, but they stick steadfast to full wheel ONLY (I am pretty certain you know who they are to).

Strange you admit about powder coating looking fresher end of the day I just want a decent job for the OP that will last more so on such a new vehicle and in the current climate and type of weather a harder finish can only be more durable rather than what many OEM wheels that are just painted now.

Never use a smart repairer and never will... tbh one little scratch so minor I will leave thanks do not even try getting business from me, cheers.

Last edited by Ninja59; Jan 26th, 2013 at 13:59.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 15:25   #13
markt1
Trader

Have i not made it clear sorry,a full wheel refurb would be inside and out nothing left bare on the alloy at all,every nook and cranny either powdered or painted/lacquered does that answer your question?
As for chipping I have seen it on many front face and smart repairs in my experience, and you seem to be just re wording the exact same thing
Hmm maybe
Poor quality or applied wrongly means exactly the same as technique and products quite where you see the variation in the that statement is beyond me
Incorrect re read my statment poor quality products could mean failure on the other hand good products applied with a lack of knowledge could also mean failure i see a difference in the statement,anaology give a poor paint roller to a quality panter and decorator and see how poor the job turns out, give the best tools and products to someone who has not got a clue then again it will be a poor effort.
do not need any repairs done to my wheels so I am fine, thanks....oh and of course they are powder so no paint here. As for warranties I know most of them will NOT give warranties on diamond cut wheels it is common place and practice, if you give it on diamond cut wheels I would be amazed (that is if you are even willing to take on one). However, I do put it to you why specifically someone like Lepsons would not do chip repairs or full faces considering there would be a market for such things, but they stick steadfast to full wheel ONLY (I am pretty certain you know who they are to).
Yes your wheels look nice As for diamond cut forget them i can not touch them, but i know firms that will do them and give warranties.Yes ive heard of lepsons and their are many more bigger companys out there who can do wheels thousands of them.
Strange you admit about powder coating looking fresher end of the day I just want a decent job for the OP that will last more so on such a new vehicle and in the current climate and type of weather a harder finish can only be more durable rather than what many OEM wheels that are just painted now.
Well i will give an honest oppinion on a forum thats how i am,thats not to say a spot repair is not a viable option to a customer that wants one wheel with a tiny scuff sorting out.
Never use a smart repairer and never will... tbh one little scratch so minor I will leave thanks do not even try getting business from me, cheers.
Well thats your call if you never want to use a smart repair company no ones asking you, and as for getting your business it was a bit of banter.
Anyway thats me done on the subject have a wheely nice day,
Regards Mark.

Last edited by markt1; Jan 26th, 2013 at 15:43.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 16:00   #14
Ninja59

Quote:
Have i not made it clear sorry,a full wheel refurb would be inside and out nothing left bare on the alloy at all,every nook and cranny either powdered or painted/lacquered does that answer your question?
As for chipping I have seen it on many front face and smart repairs in my experience, and you seem to be just re wording the exact same thing
Hmm maybe
Poor quality or applied wrongly means exactly the same as technique and products quite where you see the variation in the that statement is beyond me
Incorrect re read my statment poor quality products could mean failure on the other hand good products applied with a lack of knowledge could also mean failure i see a difference in the statement,anaology give a poor paint roller to a quality panter and decorator and see how poor the job turns out, give the best tools and products to someone who has not got a clue then again it will be a poor effort.
do not need any repairs done to my wheels so I am fine, thanks....oh and of course they are powder so no paint here. As for warranties I know most of them will NOT give warranties on diamond cut wheels it is common place and practice, if you give it on diamond cut wheels I would be amazed (that is if you are even willing to take on one). However, I do put it to you why specifically someone like Lepsons would not do chip repairs or full faces considering there would be a market for such things, but they stick steadfast to full wheel ONLY (I am pretty certain you know who they are to).
Yes your wheels look nice As for diamond cut forget them i can not touch them, but i know firms that will do them and give warranties.Yes ive heard of lepsons and their are many more bigger companys out there who can do wheels thousands of them.
Well i will give an honest oppinion on a forum thats how i am,thats not to say a spot repair is not a viable option to a customer that wants one wheel with a tiny scuff sorting out.
Well thats your call if you never want to use a smart repair company no ones asking you, and as for getting your business it was a bit of banter.
Anyway thats me done on the subject have a wheely nice day,
Regards Mark.
You still have not answered it I know the process of doing a full one I did not ask for that - your original statement: -
Quote:
I have refurbed my s40 wheels full face with HS lacquer a year and half ago and guess what no chipping no peeling so some of the above comments are not entirely true.
If a wheel is repaired right by a smart reapirer then it should last if the proper procedures are followed.Yes i did my full wheels
It is almost like you are avoiding answering the question.

Okay, but that is one hell of an assumption I never said 100% it will chip, but you cannot deny that it will not be more easily effected straight off as you will only go up to the edge of the inner it inherently produces and leaves a resulting weaker level as it is not going completely to every edge.

Warranties either none or so limited it is almost limp wristed.

Well maybe you could answer the question properly then rather than what I am now potentially viewing as trying to avoid answering it.

Pah. Maybe a joke at your own expense.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 16:31   #15
markt1
Trader

The full face of the rim was painted not the inside,what may have confused things is the Yes i did my full wheelsmeaning i did all 4 sorry if this threw you no joke was intended or implied if you had pointed it out in the first place more clearly then we could had cleared it up hope this suffices...

Okay, but that is one hell of an assumption I never said 100% it will chip, but you cannot deny that it will not be more easily effected straight off as you will only go up to the edge of the inner it inherently produces and leaves a resulting weaker level as it is not going completely to every edge.
Hmmm well ive never known my spots repairs to fail and ive done full inside and out repairs which are overall the best option if doing a full face but as ive said if you know how to prep for paint it should not be fail my own wheels are the proof in the pudding.
Well that maybe your experiance its not mine,but again they are many factors that could cause failiure/extreme weather as you said and chemical acids from constant detailing/high pressure jet washes ive seen brand new wheels fail.
I was at a kia dealership 2 weeks ago they have a problem with sportage wheels starting to fail this is on brand new 2 month old cars factory finish.
We can knock this about all night its horses for courses i think at the end of the day the original poster wanted advice on a scuffed alloy and it was given causing this debate which is good for the forum because it lets the members choose what they want from a repair or service be it full a full strip and paint or a full strip and powder or a spot repair.
Regards Mark.

Last edited by markt1; Jan 26th, 2013 at 16:41.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 16:43   #16
Ninja59

Quote:
The full face of the rim was painted not the inside,what may have confused things is the Yes i did my full wheelsmeaning i did all 4 sorry if this threw you no joke was intended or implied if you had pointed it out in the first place more clearly then we could had cleared it up hope this suffices...

Hmmm well ive never know my spots repairs to fail and ive done full inside and out repairs which are overall the best option if doing a full face but as ive said if you know how to prep for paint it should not be fail my own wheels are the proof in the pudding.
Well that maybe your experiance its not mine,but again they are many factors that could cause failiure/extreme weather as you said and chemical acids from constant detailing/high pressure jet washes ive seen brand new wheels fail.
I was at a kia dealership 2 weeks ago they have a problem with sportage wheels starting to fail this is on brand new 2 month old cars factory finish.
We can knock this about all night its horses for courses i think at the end of the day the original poster wanted advice on a scuffed alloy and it was given causing this debate which is good for the forum because it lets the members choose what they want from a repair or service be it full a full strip and paint or a full strip and powder.
Regards Mark.
I did in my original response, I should not really need to be repeating it considering you failed to answer it, considering you responded like you did originally.

I suppose it is better if you did lacquer the inside to but you probably also know the other 1/2 shot way some do "face repairs".

What with diamond cut wheels, I know loads that refuse or limit warranties on refurb - actually make that virtually every single one, because of the sheer nature of them. Every sodding manufacturer has an issue with them, they a total load of rubbish for durability.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 16:54   #17
markt1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
I did in my original response, I should not really need to be repeating it considering you failed to answer it, considering you responded like you did originally.

I suppose it is better if you did lacquer the inside to but you probably also know the other 1/2 shot way some do "face repairs".

What with diamond cut wheels, I know loads that refuse or limit warranties on refurb - actually make that virtually every single one, because of the sheer nature of them. Every sodding manufacturer has an issue with them, they a total load of rubbish for durability.
Oh well i missed the whole thing TBH i wasn't being awkard,no love lost i hope.
Yes you are right about getting in and doing the insides, i did not do mine as im really confident in my prep and the keying of the surface and it really is how good the OP to be honest and they are some cowboys about mate but were all not the same.
Well the diamond cut alloys are a complete nightmare as you have said i do not know any manufacturer that has got them nailed yet.I would avoid them at all costs if i was going to change my car and it had diamond cut i would ask the dealer to supply me with some simple silver alloys,they are simply a nightmare especially when kerbed and even if they do not get kerbed they fail on their own HA HA rubbish least we agree on somthing.
Regards Mark.

Last edited by markt1; Jan 26th, 2013 at 16:57.
The Following User Says Thank You to markt1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 20:00   #18
griston64
Premier Member

Where did you get your alloys refurbed Ninja ? They are the best I've ever seen !

Want to get mine done later this year so would be intersted if they have anywhere in or near Glasgow.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 20:20   #19
Ninja59

Roger @ The Wheel Restorer - about 20 mile from me. I know end of last year he was on about a months notice to do wheels.

Searched for two years to find a decent place - only ever got bad reports never heard a bad thing about him - sole trader he does it all himself by hand never lets a set out if they are not right and willing to spend lots of time discussing colours or concerns with anything (when I mean lots I mean I spent 2 -3 hours there before, have probably spent easily another 15 hours down their nattering as well as resolving the issues we had with our dealership with my dads wheel corrosion (without cost).

I know of two people since mine without complaints and have seen many sets go through his hands, so i know the quality of the job he does - if there is issues he will ring the customer and inform them, redo them without quibble. To go along with this aspect he did have until reasonably recently (when the dealership changed hands so nothing to do with him) the local Porsche Dealerships wheels, and I know he does do some high end stuff as well but not exclusively that type.

Not cheap about the same as some other well known refurb places.

Last edited by Ninja59; Jan 26th, 2013 at 20:26.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 21:46   #20
griston64
Premier Member

Thanks for the info. Bit too far from Glasgow but at a push I would consider taking my wheels down to get a finish of that quality !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote