Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon Lights???

Views : 9374

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 09:28   #11
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy2 View Post
I'd stay away from the aftermarket kits, as noted there are legal requirements for xenons which could land you in trouble.

Personally, having had cars with and without xenons, I wouldn't ever add them as a costed option again. Yes they are nice and the light is brighter/whiter however in 20+ years of driving (touch wood) and doing 20k+ miles a year with work I've yet to have an accident never mind an accident at night due to lack of visibility. I've never driven a car with the active bend technology but the same kinda applies, maybe it's a eureka thing and until you've tried it you don't know what you're missing but I generally, even on the darkest back roads, rarely feel like I'm travelling blind and struggle to get around the next corner, might just be me.

Some mftr's are removing the xenons from standard fit to the options category and even some are removing them from the options as well, the technology looked like revolutionaising car lighting 10 years ago but for me it's just something that's slightly better but typically (now) is quite costly to add to the car for little perceived (for me) benefit. Of course I've not got my XC60 yet and if the standard lights are poor I may be dissapointed!

Xenon's also present a costly issue for anyone who likes to drive in mainland Europe where different countries have requirements for carrying spare headlight bulbs... these are not 5 quid jobs that need to be carried as spares...
Definitely avoid the aftermarket, go for factory fit or forget it! I haven't go the Xenons on my XC60 and don't miss them even in FOG. I drive a lot at night and have not found the halogen lights to be wanting. At £1000 pounds its expensive but if you upgrade to a spec where they are included, maybe not so bad! It all comes down to personal choice.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:13   #12
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post
Definitely avoid the aftermarket, go for factory fit or forget it! I haven't go the Xenons on my XC60 and don't miss them even in FOG. I drive a lot at night and have not found the halogen lights to be wanting. At £1000 pounds its expensive but if you upgrade to a spec where they are included, maybe not so bad! It all comes down to personal choice.
I wouldve loved the xenons and been happy to pay 300 or so for them, it seems they have paired them up with the bending capability to me, as a cynical attempt to make some extra revenue. There is mo need whatsoever to not offer a non bending version.

Last edited by Superbenj; Jan 31st, 2011 at 10:15. Reason: iPhone spelling!
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:59   #13
scotgc

This debate will inevitably lead to those who have Xenons swearing by them and those who havent saying they might be a waste of money. My last car had them and they were good, my XC60 does not have them and I can see perfectly well when driving at night.

After market products are available but not as good as the factory fits and as many have said may be illegal to drive.

Stating the obvious I know but lets not get into the mines is better than yours thread!
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:16   #14
tem
Premier Member

From my point.
I find the Active Bending Headlights a bonus, as I drive on the right at least 5 times a year (some 50/60 days) and at the push of a button, you can move the headlights from Left/Right, without having to fit masking deflectors.

Get it wrong, in France and one can face a hefty fine.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:25   #15
Mrjon
Master Member

I have them on the S60 as part of a package and again they're coming as part of the se lux trim on the XC60. They're OK but it's not that often you get to use full beam nowadays with the amount of traffic on the roads. The bendy bits are just the low beams, they only bend by 15 degrees either side.They're nice to have I guess but wouldn't pay a grand for them.
Mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:46   #16
Matteus XC60

Having never had xenon headlights before, I did find them a bit of a revelation to be honest, particularly on the twisty dark country roads I frequent to work and back. I definitely notice an improvement versus my other car, and when I look to replace that, I will certainly consider going for Xenons on that as well (price permitting of course).

Sorry Scot if that comes over as a 'mine's better than yours' post....
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 16:23   #17
morrich

They came as standard on our Se Lux, were not something we would have specced and whilst nice, in my opinion would certainly not justify paying for as an expensive option. So rather than a 'mine's better than yours' post I suppose this is a 'I'd have preferred the cash off' post.
morrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 17:14   #18
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrich View Post
They came as standard on our Se Lux, were not something we would have specced and whilst nice, in my opinion would certainly not justify paying for as an expensive option. So rather than a 'mine's better than yours' post I suppose this is a 'I'd have preferred the cash off' post.
Indeed!

If the SE Lux had heated seats included and dropped the bendy lights it would probably make for a better package and bring the price down a bit.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 22:35   #19
morrich

I have to agree, heated seats front and rear were specced and are worth every penny.
morrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 09:14   #20
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrich View Post
I have to agree, heated seats front and rear were specced and are worth every penny.
Particularly if you drive in a kilt.....................