Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen wiper problem

Views : 2528

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2014, 11:45   #11
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Volvo told me that they "only recommend bending the arms to fix a particular screen contact/juddering issue, usually we don't recommend that" so proceed with caution - the spring or linkage would be my first guess. My driver's arm was lifting slightly but it was the linkage that needed replacing.

£20 from eBay if you're lucky, otherwise £40, then an hour's labour with someone who's done it before and has spare clips for the plastic covers
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 11:58   #12
gatos
Premier Member

I am wondering if the meat base where the wiper linkage mount, could be bent.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 12:02   #13
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Just a completely random thought/moan, slightly on topic, but the driver's wiper arm is positioned excruciatingly close to the bonnet isn't it! Primed to damage metalwork as soon as the linkage fails.... who at Volvo thought that bend in the arm was a good design?!?!
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 13:40   #14
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Just a completely random thought/moan, slightly on topic, but the driver's wiper arm is positioned excruciatingly close to the bonnet isn't it! Primed to damage metalwork as soon as the linkage fails.... who at Volvo thought that bend in the arm was a good design?!?!
It must have been outsourced, as nearly every V40 has or had the, "Bonnet strike" issue. Luckily the Volvo gods changed the design, so a new arm solved the clearance issue. Mr Wiper forgot that the pivot bush will wear one day and that moves the arm up in effect. Easy fix for around 20 Euros per arm.
I was daft enough to try filing off a section to improve the clearance before the Volvo experts in the forum just said change the arm.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 13:48   #15
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Aye, new arms should be cheap enough and the current ones are a bit surface rusty in places so that's probably on my list for future jobs to do when time/funds/can be arsed allows.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 13:59   #16
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

I had a similar thing happen and it turned out that there was corrosion at the base of the arm which prevented the spring from doing its job. I sprayed a bunch of PB blaster on the joint a few times and it limbered up enough that it was able to function once more. You may want to give that a go...

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 13:08   #17
Phildent

Smile

OK...Many many thanks to all on the forum for all your input on this issue. In the end I took the arm off, put it in the vice and bent it in slightly and....problem solved...it just judders a bit now on the return stroke, but it obviously needs just a bit more adjusting.

Success..thanks a lot to all....regards....Phil....
Phildent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phildent For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 00:15   #18
kstinius

I have a 2001 S40, LHD, but the mount for the passenger windshield wiper is in the center of the firewall, so I suspect my findings are the same for the RHD version.

I, too, had the weird problem of the passenger wiper lifting off the windshield at the top of its arc. I believe I have found the problem and the solution.

As I have tried to show in this diagram, the mount for the wiper arm is not cylindrical, rather it's conical. Normally (upper drawing), the short stub arm should fit down snugly onto the conical mount and be held in place with the nut. Then, as the assembly rotates, the wiper blade is held roughly parallel to the surface of the glass and there is contact over the entire arc.

But because of the strength of the wiper arm spring, when the assembly is placed over the mount, the spring tends to raise the stub arm, which is now not snugly in place and the force of the nut tightening down is not enough to properly seat the stub arm (lower drawing). When the wiper arm rotates to the top of its arc, the geometry no longer guides it parallel to the glass and the rubber blade lifts off. (The diagram is looking from the right side of the car at the wiper arm at the top of its arc).

The solution is to simply use a second pair of hands to hold the wiper assemble flat and straight and not allow the spring to lift the stub arm out of alignment (don't allow the wiper blade to touch the glass while the nut is being tightened). Then you can push the stub arm down snugly and accurately on the conical mount and tighten the nut.

I hope this explanation is clear. It took me a while to understand the geometry and design the illustration. I hope it helps someone else fix the problem of the lifting wiper blade.

Regards,
kstinius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kstinius For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 01:02   #19
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinius View Post
I have a 2001 S40, LHD, but the mount for the passenger windshield wiper is in the center of the firewall, so I suspect my findings are the same for the RHD version.

I, too, had the weird problem of the passenger wiper lifting off the windshield at the top of its arc. I believe I have found the problem and the solution.

As I have tried to show in this diagram, the mount for the wiper arm is not cylindrical, rather it's conical. Normally (upper drawing), the short stub arm should fit down snugly onto the conical mount and be held in place with the nut. Then, as the assembly rotates, the wiper blade is held roughly parallel to the surface of the glass and there is contact over the entire arc.

But because of the strength of the wiper arm spring, when the assembly is placed over the mount, the spring tends to raise the stub arm, which is now not snugly in place and the force of the nut tightening down is not enough to properly seat the stub arm (lower drawing). When the wiper arm rotates to the top of its arc, the geometry no longer guides it parallel to the glass and the rubber blade lifts off. (The diagram is looking from the right side of the car at the wiper arm at the top of its arc).

The solution is to simply use a second pair of hands to hold the wiper assemble flat and straight and not allow the spring to lift the stub arm out of alignment (don't allow the wiper blade to touch the glass while the nut is being tightened). Then you can push the stub arm down snugly and accurately on the conical mount and tighten the nut.

I hope this explanation is clear. It took me a while to understand the geometry and design the illustration. I hope it helps someone else fix the problem of the lifting wiper blade.

Regards,
Thank you no lifting wiper but I expect that to come I have play in my drivers side wiper blade it's going to help me
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote