Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Completely off topic : France Trip

Views : 1565

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 20:38   #11
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick View Post

If you are using toll routes - just use the credit card lane. They take UK cards fine and it saves having to have change and is generally much quicker as well.
if taking a roofbox, go through a manned booth. i got spanked several times for "classe 2" on automated ones which is about twice the price. only noticed when following my in-laws back in a 3 series - they were charged 14 euros, i paid 28! the automated lanes use laser for height. all toll roads permit vehicle upto 2m to travel as "classe 1" and roof carriage of bikes/boxes is free. a person should press "classe 1". i only realised halfway on my return trip so god know how much more i spent on the onward journey.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 11:00   #12
In Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
In Reverse, thank you for your post. I feel much better about doing this long drive after reading that.

We are starting 1/2 way closer than you, so doing the whole thing in one go. How did the children fair in the back of the XC90?

You get excellent MPG out of your car. I have 3,300 miles on my clock and get 27mpg. I have been told be the dealer that at 12,000 miles the engine loosens up and the mpg will improve. I hope "loosens" up doesn't mean "begin to sound like a clapped out diesel.

What sort of bike rack do you have? I have a Thule Towbar mounted one and am a little nervous it hanging off the back of the car across continents.

Does anyone know...do you need a GB sticker on your car when driving in France?
Glad to have been of some help.

My XC90 is the best car I have owned for kids. As they sit up quite high on the seats along with the much higher drive height, there was absolutley no issues with car sickness. They both read, played DS's and watched portable DVD players. In my previous cars (Audi Avant, BMW 525) they couldn't have done it.

French Autoroutes seem to be built up high giving a greater view over surrounding countryside, as opposed to UK motorways which are often cut into the land and bounded by high banks and trees, so its a much nicer drive - although the Swiss drive is second to none.

I too used a Thule 4 biked towbar mounted hang on bike rack. I was a little apprehensive, but it did not move once. I had a clear view from my rear view mirror through the luggage area and it stayed level all the way.

I got a small Euro style blue GB badge and put in corner of rear window as I was led to beleive it was a legal requirement in France - as well as spare bulb kit, warning triangle and at least one flourescent vest. Don't buy the headlight adapters as the XC90 owners manual tells you how to redirect the beam using a small piece of tape.

On my journey down I took it really handy (I'd just had some problems with car fixed and wasn't 100% confident with it), sitting at 70-75mph and the ave MPG on arrival was 38.5 and when I filled it up the computer showed 605 miles to empty! On the way home I was very happy with the car and didnt hang about and therefore lowered the overall trip mpg. I was travelling back with friends who had a BMW 330d M-Sport so was trying to keep up and found even with the extra weight my car would sit at 95 when needed.

My friend has an 05 XC90 2.5T Auto and he travels to his holiday home in France every summer for 7 weeks from NI with his 4 kids, roof box and bikes. He reckons his average is only 26 mpg, but bought the car mainly to do the trip and believes overall the benefits far outweight the slightly lower MPG.
In Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote