Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Automatic transmission problems PART TWO - HELP!

Views : 3047

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 13:51   #11
amsoil

You clearly have a problem; If the ATF is a nice red colour then all should be well, this assumes that someone hasn't just changed the cooked fluid and sold the car quickly letting fresh ATF mask the problem for a short time.
If the fluid has picked up some water/ anti freeze as mentioned then this is generally death for the box; the effects are usually very swift indeed. Get a sample sent away for analysis, its not expensive at £16.50 from here http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/tools.html just look at the bottom of the page.
I am not aware that Sunoco have an ATF that meets 3309 spec so be very careful here. (I thought they had 3 types, all mineral, and none met the spec but stand to be corrected).
Whilst changing the filter and a full flush with 3309 or better may be the ideal (and impracticle because of the filter) I would not hold that just dumping the sump contents runs as the best alternative. You will end up with about 1/2 new fluid and 1/2 old (contaminated?) fluid. Whilst a dealer may love this one as it takes very little effort on his part to aquire your hard earned, still go for the full flush with the pumping out of the old fluid from the converter and cooler system, particularly as you have a problem. The dealers keeness to do this should be reflected in your keeness to allow him to have your custom. Don't be fobbed off consider another dealer.
If the box is going to survive the best choice may well be Volvos own which is mineral or Amsoil ATF which is synthetic and exceeds 3309 spec and gets a club discount and will quickly clan the crap that may have built up.
Good Luck
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 14:12   #12
amsoil

Thumbs up

Having just seen on another thread that you have had the car for some time then that the milage is quite low I would go for the Amsoil ATF with a full flush and allow 200 miles for the detergent properties in the synthetic to un gunge and strip the varnishes from the solenoids/ valves etc that sound like they are just sticking. At your milage I wouldn't be concerned about the leaving of the filter. All IMHO of course
http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/...ion_fluid.html
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 18:35   #13
Mister T

Without driving the car it is difficult to diagnos , but I have a feeling the juddering is caused by the torque convertor lock up slipping when engaging , it can be caused using the wrong fluid , such as Dextron and even Amsoil .
The Volvo fluid is not cheap , so I recommend that you have it flushed or drained 3 four times using the appropiate fluid .
The difference in transmission fluids primary are the additives , some have friction modifiers and are compatible with certain clutch linings and not others.
Mister T.
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 17:02   #14
jandanjan

Default Car now been checked for gearbox

Right I took the car to Gravesend Transmissions who were absolutely wonderful. They put some stuff into the ATF which clears out any rubbish in there - ATF was fine. We went for a long long l o n g test drive and it isnt the gearbox as it is operating fine. It appears that the juddering (while trying to hold at speed like 70 mph and sometimes at lower speeds but never when excelerating) could be from what I have found on this great site Gas pedal sensor or the fuelling system or something else. I am stil lconcerned it relates to the ECM but that is meant ot be OK acording to previous volvo garage.

I am going to take it to an independant and pay for a mechanic to come out on a long test drive os they can experience it as it is sporadic altohugh getting more regular now.

Thing is it seems that if the technicians dont get a code they do not know what to do abou it and it needs some diagnostic work really.

We will see,,,,,,
jandanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 22:05   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

danjandan......Parkside is the garage that I had all the problems with with my 940 TD. They damaged the underbody by jacking it up incorrectly. Never adjusted the autobox kickdown cable. Broke the oil filler cap and said nothing so the engine got covered in oil. Cracked the cylinder head when they did a coolant change. Removed the water seals at the back of the engine and replaced them with mastic. And to top all told me that my 4 year old car was getting too old and I should think about replacing it.

It doesn't sound like they've improved much since 1995.

The 940 and XC90 autoboxs are longlasting and made in Japan by Casin-Warner a Toyota subsiduary. I hope yours is as well.

You've allready done the best thing and moved your custom.

All the best.
Roy
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 19:41   #16
jandanjan

Default Well yes exactly

I agree re Parkside - they were giving details regarding possible ATF problems sent ot me by a very kind member of this site and I also asked them for the name of a good automatic gearbox garage ot go to for a second opinion - this was 2 weeks ago and have I heard from them ? not a peep ....thank goodness for Gravesend Transmissions is all I can say....
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 22:51   #17
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandanjan View Post
I agree re Parkside - they were giving details regarding possible ATF problems sent ot me by a very kind member of this site and I also asked them for the name of a good automatic gearbox garage ot go to for a second opinion - this was 2 weeks ago and have I heard from them ? not a peep ....thank goodness for Gravesend Transmissions is all I can say....
Sorry re: the typo jandanjan. Rushing as usual.

Roy
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 18:04   #18
duster

I have an 18month old XC70 D5 auto which is doing exactly the same thing. About 50mph it sometimes judders, often quite violently. under acceleration or faster speed it's fine. I had it in to the dealers yesterday and they sugested a new gearbox but then phoned to say Volo had told them to try a software update. I'll let you know how it turns out.
duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:26   #19
jandanjan

Default well sadly

I have had the car into a good independant today and it is the gearbox. Apparently this is a problem that Volvo have with this car and its known about - its one of the reasons that they keep putting out loads of software changes.

The ECU needs mapping as its gone out of alignment but the Volvo garage told me they have done this altohugh I dont treust them anymore so there is nothing else to do but sell it or get a new gearbox at huge cost - car is just 7 years old with 49K on the clock.

I am going to ring Volvo Customer Services as I do not understand how this is possible......we obught the car ot last usd at least 10 years based on their supposedly good reliability - this is not good nor reliable.

Has anyone else gone into bat os to speak with Volvo ? Will psot that question seperately to see ...many thanks
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 17:26   #20
jandanjan

Default It was the throttle!!!

Well as I simply did not accept it was the gear box decided I needed to get car back into Volvo. Took it to Lipscomb in Aylesford on Friday who were fantastic. They said throttle and as I had to wait around all day for the part to arrive and it to be fitted they drove me into Maidstone to do some Christmas shopping and then picked me up again and made me cups of tea and coffee etc and at 6pm an freshly washed and clean car was bought around ofr me with the fixed price repair cost of £285 - I drove it home and it was wonderful!!!! All fixed!!!! yippeee.......

after just over 3 months of hassle and worry another volvo dealership sorted it all out in one day and I have my car back working again......

so if Parkside tell you to get a new gear box at £4115 take it somewhere else! like Lipscomb.......

I am so happy