Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Two days left of Volvo ownership. Thank you everyone!

Views : 2658

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 22:47   #11
Jameshow

Cousins I suggest?
I could not drive one on the drive, what would people say!!

However a v70 drives well has best ever seats, faster than all except xjr, M5, rs6 etc, yet no one would blink an eye lid.

But I do like the v8 rumble!!!
reminds me of my childhood in a rover p5!!!!

James
Jameshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 22:50   #12
volvorocks
Rodney

What made you go for the XJ8 as oppose the XJR?
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 22:58   #13
billmckinstry
Master Member

What a shame you couldn't have both the convertable Volvo and Saloon Jag. One for Winter and the other for a few weeks of Summer
billmckinstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 23:36   #14
jackd

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshow View Post
Cousins I suggest?
I could not drive one on the drive, what would people say!!

However a v70 drives well has best ever seats, faster than all except xjr, M5, rs6 etc, yet no one would blink an eye lid.

But I do like the v8 rumble!!!
reminds me of my childhood in a rover p5!!!!

James
I wouldn't say a V70 is faster than all XJ8's. Even the base model XJ8 will do 140MPH. It's not about speed though, it's a luxury car. It's about refinement, presence and the sense of occasion every time you get behind that real wood and leather steering wheel. The ride is rather superb I would proclaim - more than compensating for the comfortable Volvo seats, although the Jag's are exceptionally comfortable also.

jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 23:47   #15
jackd

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
What made you go for the XJ8 as oppose the XJR?

I would have loved an XJR but unfortunately all of the range in the XJ series is a little temperamental. If you miss a service or don't maintain it properly you will be lucky to see 100,000 miles. However if you maintain it well you can see 300,000. This one was a one owner example with over £10,000 of receipts and a full jag history. It's one of the last ones built and bypasses most of the design flaws that they had in early production.

I would have loved an XJR but there are so few perfectly maintained examples with low mileage about and it was a case of do I follow my heart all the way or use my head a little. I had to play it safe. A pre 2000 XJ is a ticking time bomb. Due to design flaws it can have a seemingly random timing chain failure at any moment, even on a brand new belt. The risk just wasn't worth it. Sure I could have bought a low mileage well cared for late XJR but I am only 20, insurance might have been a bit tasty. All in all It's a huge step up in performance already from the Volvo and I'm happy with the power. Another reason was that I wanted to stay well clear of forced induction. Not a fan of the uneven power delivery or the tenancy to fail at higher mileages.

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 23:57   #16
jackd

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmckinstry View Post
What a shame you couldn't have both the convertable Volvo and Saloon Jag. One for Winter and the other for a few weeks of Summer

Don't tempt me. I have spent all afternoon contemplating it. I feel bad letting the Volvo go to a dealer, and almost certainly on to auction. Anybody want it for a grand? I've still got it until Sunday.

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 00:04   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I would have loved an XJR but unfortunately all of the range in the XJ series is a little temperamental. If you miss a service or don't maintain it properly you will be lucky to see 100,000 miles. However if you maintain it well you can see 300,000. This one was a one owner example with over £10,000 of receipts and a full jag history. It's one of the last ones built and bypasses most of the design flaws that they had in early production.

I would have loved an XJR but there are so few perfectly maintained examples with low mileage about and it was a case of do I follow my heart all the way or use my head a little. I had to play it safe. A pre 2000 XJ is a ticking time bomb. Due to design flaws it can have a seemingly random timing chain failure at any moment, even on a brand new belt. The risk just wasn't worth it. Sure I could have bought a low mileage well cared for late XJR but I am only 20, insurance might have been a bit tasty. All in all It's a huge step up in performance already from the Volvo and I'm happy with the power. Another reason was that I wanted to stay well clear of forced induction. Not a fan of the uneven power delivery or the tenancy to fail at higher mileages.
Wow.Only 20.Respect!

Sensible to go for what you have then.

I had a Jag XJ40 (XJ6) with the tiddly 2.9 engine...so slow and so unreliable.A great sense of occasion upon arrival at destination though.Nice interior.Lovely looking car.Also had one of the older 4.2's.Again a lovely looking car - I spent most of my time looking at it whilst awaiting recovery!

Had an XJR.Superb. Short lived though as I ran out of "Jag cash" and got rid far far far too soon.(not my choice - someone else dictated otherwise!!) Brilliant car.Amazingly fast and unbelievably perfectly reliable considering my past experience with the mark.

All the best with your Jag.Enjoy.

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 00:29   #18
jackd

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Wow.Only 20.Respect!

Sensible to go for what you have then.

I had a Jag XJ40 (XJ6) with the tiddly 2.9 engine...so slow and so unreliable.A great sense of occasion upon arrival at destination though.Nice interior.Lovely looking car.Also had one of the older 4.2's.Again a lovely looking car - I spent most of my time looking at it whilst awaiting recovery!

Had an XJR.Superb. Short lived though as I ran out of "Jag cash" and got rid far far far too soon.(not my choice - someone else dictated otherwise!!) Brilliant car.Amazingly fast and unbelievably perfectly reliable considering my past experience with the mark.

All the best with your Jag.Enjoy.

Regards
The XJ40's had their woes alright! Was that 2.9 a manual? A lot of them seem to be. I was renewing the insurance and they asked me did I want breakdown. I hesitated and thought, DEFINITELY! Was your's an XJ6R or and XJR (V8). My next Jag will probably be an S-Type R. 400Bhp would put a smile on anyone's face! They are such a lot of car for the money, providing you tread carefully when buying.

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 00:38   #19
GMad
Premier Member

Strangely enough I'm toying with the idea of a V8 XJ Jaguar too.
The main difference being, I'd be getting shot of an averagely designed Belgiun car!
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 00:48   #20
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
The XJ40's had their woes alright! Was that 2.9 a manual? A lot of them seem to be. I was renewing the insurance and they asked me did I want breakdown. I hesitated and thought, DEFINITELY! Was your's an XJ6R or and XJR (V8). My next Jag will probably be an S-Type R. 400Bhp would put a smile on anyone's face! They are such a lot of car for the money, providing you tread carefully when buying.
Yup the 2.9 was the heavy manual. The R was the earlier 6 cyl.I had it only for a short time as finances dictated otherwise!!!!!!..Took me 5 years to get back on my feet again and have never had a Jag since! TBH I should never have even got the 2.9 as I couldnt really afford that at the time either!

Have looked recently at 03+ XJR's but worry about the bills long term on what is probably a well used 8/9 year old car!

Great car though.Cant be beaten for pure "Englishness"

Regards

Tags
jaguar xj8, new car, volvo c70