Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil for T6 engine.

Views : 2996

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 21:27   #11
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy13 View Post
I have double checked my manual and it states that my model ('03) requires A1/B1 not A5/B5. I have checked my friends manual (for a MY07) and it has changed to A5/B5.

My '03 can also use A5/B5 but the prefered is A1/B1 - the opposite the the newer models.

I called my local Volvo garage and they advised me that this is correct. The older XC90 should run on the A1/B1 oils but a slight modification to the newer cars require the A5/B5 oil.

I was also advised that the Castrol Magnatex oil is almost identical to the oil Volvo use (for my '03), and there should be no noticible difference in mpg between the two.

Also, the engine wear factor is not important - if oil change schedules are followed.
Hi Grumpy
I have the XC90 manual printed in Gotenborg in 2002. On page 202 it says ACEA A1, ACE3 grade oil can also be used and can comply with both. Then if you read further down the paragraph it says "VOLO FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL IS RECOMMENDED FOR CARS WITH TURBOCHARGED PETROL AND DIESEL ENGINES." (That was Castrol R-tec at that date.)

As I said before when your car was filled at the factory that was Castrol R-tec. Now Volvo do all their tests with the best oil and their mpg figures and service intervals are based on that oil being used.

The Castrol R-tec was superseded this year by CASTROL SLX Professional Longtech for Volvo cars A5/B5 0W-30. The Castrol technical dept. recommended this oil as being the best oil to use, with Edge being a poorer alternative. If you run a search you can read the email they sent me for yourself as I published it in a post. At no time did they recommend Magnatec.

As I mentioned before not all dealers are using the Volvo recommended oil and I personally wouldnt use one who wasn't using the oil Volvo recommend.
If you want to use a different oil that's fine, it's your car, but you asked how to maximise your fuel economy and using a thicker cold start oil with poorer lubrication qualities will make it worse.

The Volvo garage you spoke to is very misguided if they think the newer XC90 is slightly modified. I've posted before on how different the new engine is. However as I say R-tec was the oil reccomended for the older engine and as it isn't made anymore it has been superceeded by CASTROL SLX Professional Longtech for Volvo cars A5/B5 0W-30. I was also told this by the Volvo UK technical dept. via the phone.

I'd heartily endorse what amsoil said as well and it's my intention to use the full synthetic Amsoil oil that meets the ACEA A5/B5 spec. My 2003 car has R-tec in it at the moment as it's been serviced by Fawcetts of Newbury who belive in following the manufacturers recommendations. Pity I live so far from them.

Someone on the forum who works in the oil industry was kind enough to look up what the ACEA A5/B5 spec was and it did relate to clean emissions and wear limits and so on. If you have a long time to spare read the thread mpg not what it says on the tin.

All the best.
Roy
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 13:57   #12
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

You may like to take a look at this informative site.....

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:45   #13
Grumpy13

Thanks for the info and site link.

I have checked my manual and on page 206 it states to use ACEA A1 oil but ACEA A3 can also be used.

The Castrol magnatex oil IS fully synthetic and according to a recent telephone call with a guy who works in the labs in BP (who make Castrol oil), there is little difference between the oils we are discussing. The differences would have no effect on engine wear or MPG, it is more a difference in their viscosity and performance at the extreme temperature ranges. Living in the UK would have no effect on my car.

The Volvo oil is almost identical to the oils you can by from Castrol AND other manufacturers.

I will try to post the pdf document from Volvo that states which oils to use (from Castrol).

XC90 '03 T6
Twin Screen, DVD, PS2, Privacy Glass, Running Boards, Parrot BlueTooth, Winter Pack.
Grumpy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 20:49   #14
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info and site link.

I have checked my manual and on page 206 it states to use ACEA A1 oil but ACEA A3 can also be used.

The Castrol magnatex oil IS fully synthetic and according to a recent telephone call with a guy who works in the labs in BP (who make Castrol oil), there is little difference between the oils we are discussing. The differences would have no effect on engine wear or MPG, it is more a difference in their viscosity and performance at the extreme temperature ranges. Living in the UK would have no effect on my car.

The Volvo oil is almost identical to the oils you can by from Castrol AND other manufacturers.

I will try to post the pdf document from Volvo that states which oils to use (from Castrol).
Hi Grumpy

You might be interested in looking at the Castrol techincal data for their latest oils including the Volvo one. What's good is they do actually tell you what additives and quantity are in all the different oils.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/displ...ategoryId=3206

Roy
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 09:51   #15
Grumpy13

I have finally managed to post the Volvo recommend oils that they came up with Castrol.

It clearly shows the different MY and the oils they require, and what Volvo actually recommend.

I checked with the guy who works in the BP Labs and he said this is what they actually use. Dealers can charge a premium for oil that has no benefit for your engine. The tech guys at Volvo have confimed that the oils listed by Castrol are what the engine need and are used. By restricting access to certain oils the price can be kept high and a false demand can be created by mis-informed owners - a bit like the nintendo Wii issue, where there are warehouses full of them but there was an instruction from Nintendo to limit distribution until mid-december when there will be aglut of Wiis for sale (sorry for the side track but it maybe useful if anyone is trying to get one).

Any additives that volvo list in their "super oil" has no benefit to the engines and a lot of them are required i harsh climate like Sweden etc.

Hope this has cleared a lot of things up for people who believe what the main dealers are telling them regarding oil.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Volvo Oils.doc (184.5 KB, 19 views)

XC90 '03 T6
Twin Screen, DVD, PS2, Privacy Glass, Running Boards, Parrot BlueTooth, Winter Pack.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 00:21   #16
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
I have finally managed to post the Volvo recommend oils that they came up with Castrol.

It clearly shows the different MY and the oils they require, and what Volvo actually recommend.

I checked with the guy who works in the BP Labs and he said this is what they actually use. Dealers can charge a premium for oil that has no benefit for your engine. The tech guys at Volvo have confimed that the oils listed by Castrol are what the engine need and are used. By restricting access to certain oils the price can be kept high and a false demand can be created by mis-informed owners - a bit like the nintendo Wii issue, where there are warehouses full of them but there was an instruction from Nintendo to limit distribution until mid-december when there will be aglut of Wiis for sale (sorry for the side track but it maybe useful if anyone is trying to get one).

Any additives that volvo list in their "super oil" has no benefit to the engines and a lot of them are required i harsh climate like Sweden etc.

Hope this has cleared a lot of things up for people who believe what the main dealers are telling them regarding oil.
Interesting....guess you don't need any additives then....Let us know how long your engine lasts, and how's your fuel consumpion, better without additives is it?

Roy
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 19:41   #17
Grumpy13

I hope your not suggesting that an oil from a major company would harm an engine?.

I didn't say that "any additives" were not useful.There ar eplenty of additives in Castrol GTX, I was just saying that the "extra" additives in the oil Volvo dealers use is not required - certainly not in the UK - maybe Volvo Sweden are quite justified in using it but thats why the recommended oils document is for the UK.

I've spoken to a couple of local independent volvo dealers, and they both said that for my model/year engine that I would see no benefit in performance/mpg/engine life/extended service interval if I used the Volvo "offical" oil. They theselves use Castrol as thats whats recommended to them by Volvo.

As for MPG a recent trip to Paris resulted in nearly 30mpg (OK - thats on the trip computer but I had tested it tank full-tank empty and its not bad). Around town the guzzler is hitting the low 20's.

And regarding how long my engine lasts its done 50k and its not blown up yet and all the Volvo services have not indicated and problems. Fingers crossed.

XC90 '03 T6
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 20:07   #18
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:

I didn't say that "any additives" were not useful.
You said...

Quote:
Any additives that volvo list in their "super oil" has no benefit to the engines
Volvo don't design or make the Volvo oil. It is done by Castrol who design it to meet Volvo's wear and emission requirements.

If you have the time I suggest you browse the web and read the many independant tests on varioust oils.

Roy
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 20:15   #19
s60ben
Master Member

Well... this was unambiguous enough for my liking...

From the horses mouth...

Quote:
Engine Oil specification for S60/V70 & XC70 D5 (185BHP) MY06-
The correct engine oil specification for the MY06- S60/V70 & XC70 D5 (185BHP) is ACEA A5/B5 (SAE 0W-30 Castrol Formula SLX R-Tec). Please note that this is the same engine oil specification as the current T5 Petrol Turbo engines from MY05 onwards.

It is critical that you only use Volvo recommended engine oil specification on T5 and D5 engines. Incorrect oil specification will lead to premature turbo-charger failure and/or premature wear of the engine.
Quote:
Change of engine oil specifications for MY05 models
The engine oil specifications have changed for all MY05 models. Please refer to the following list of recommended engine oils for your model and variant.

S60/V70 MY05- with T5 engine (Petrol turbo):
Oil quality ACEA A5/B5 (SAE 0W-30, Castrol Formula SLX R-Tec)

XC70 MY05- with 2.5 LPT engine (Petrol turbo):
Oil quality ACEA A5/B5 (SAE 0W-30, Castrol Formula SLX R-Tec)

S60/V70/XC70 MY05- with D5 engine (Turbo-diesel):
Oil quality ACEA B4 (SAE 0W-30, Castrol Formula SLX Long Tec)

New S40/V50 Sportswagon MY05- with 2.0D engine (Turbo-diesel):
Oil quality WSS-M2C913-B (SAE 5W-30, Castrol Formula SLX R-Tec)

New S40/V50 Sportswagon MY05- with 2.4i engine (Normally aspirated petrol engine):
Oil quality ACEA A1/B1 (SAE 5W-30, Castrol Formula SLX R-Tec)

V50 AWD Sportswagon MY05- with T5 engine (Petrol turbo):
Oil quality ACEA A1/B1 (SAE 5W-30, Castrol Formula SLX R-Tec)

Only use the manufacturer's recommended engine oil specification. Incorrect oil specification will lead to premature turbo-charger failure and/or premature wear of the engine.

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Dec 9th, 2007 at 20:17.
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 20:22   #20
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

For those that want the Volvo oil, this price may be more to your liking.

http://www.mapodo.de/product_info.ph...roducts_id/444

Roy