Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 tyre noise

Views : 6273

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2015, 07:35   #11
Dutchbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
They say " See your dealer" because they are the experts with the volvo technical assistance at their finger tips ..
If the dealer cant be bothered to read his bulletins that is another issue.
Volvo are working on this ,

Firstly set the tyre pressures to front 35 psi Rear 32 PSI
only for 20" wheels
By using the above figures for the front tyres at 35 psi translates in the real world this as 2.4 bar , which is the correct pressure anyway.

The rear tyres at 32 psi translaties as 2.2 bar a slight difference of 0.2 bar.

The problem which Volvo UK now have created is that ,they are mixing different units of pressure . As Volvo are trying to solve the problem it would make more sense if Volvo UK used the same pressure units as Volvo Se / De / NL etc.

In the UK air pumps are not yearly calibrated such as in Germany /The Netherlands and many othercountries. Therefore there will be a margin of error at the air pumps in the UK but this will make very little difference overall.

The road noise problem lies in the poor sound insulation at the rear of the car,
The New "Excellence" model will have greater sound insulation and run on the Pirrelli Noise Cancelation System tyres , so Volvo must know there is a problem with the tyres otherwise why are they doing this.
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 14:07   #12
Dutchbird

Read this contribution on the Swedespeed website ,makes interesting reading!

Just wonderd how many other XC90 owners who are running on 20" wheels with the Continental tyres fitted have the same problem with the noise?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (106.7 KB, 24 views)
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 20:56   #13
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Without wishing to be contentious, why is there a fashion for wide very low profile tyres which just destroy ride, dont really help handling, increase road noise, make tyres more prone to kerb and pothole damage, make wheels more vulnerable to kerb damage, increase the cost of tyre replacement and cause uneven wear? Well I guess it is because they look cool.....

Just spec your xc90 with the nice 235/55/19's and enjoy driving it.....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 07:56   #14
Dutchbird

Just spec your xc90 with the nice 235/55/19's and enjoy driving it.....[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly you can only order the Inscription model on 20 " wheels have tried to order on the 18-19" but Volvo UK would not allow it.

I would if I could but ...............

MY16 XC 90 D5 Inscription & MY15 S60 D4 SE Lux Geartronic
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 10:13   #15
AB-UK
Premier Member

I guess the 19" Momentum wheels will fit, so maybe you could advertise for a swap with someone who'd like to put 20" wheels on their new XC90?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 13:50   #16
basoom

Does this mean the 19' alloys suits the car better than the 20' or so with less noise production.
I found it difficult to understand how 1' different in alloy size will make that much different.
basoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 20:15   #17
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoom View Post
Does this mean the 19' alloys suits the car better than the 20' or so with less noise production.
I found it difficult to understand how 1' different in alloy size will make that much different.
It is not the wheel size per se it is just that the bigger the wheel diameter then the less room there is for tyre wall if you are to maintain the same rolling circumference. So the bigger the wheel size the lower the profile. Having experienced some frankly stupid 255/35/19 on an a6 i am now no fan over very low profile tyres. In fact i discounted ordering an inscription because of the daft wheels/tyres and chose to spec up a momentum with more extras to keep with proper tyres. As it turns out the t8 only comes on 19s so i could have gone for the inscription but by then had decided i prefer the look of the momentum which i regard as more honest and less blingy....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Dec 13th, 2015 at 20:17.
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 21:03   #18
basoom

Thanks Philip Fisher

What I have noticed from looking at the used ones for sale that:
19' alloys comes with Perelli tyres
20' alloys comes with Continental tyres
21' alloys comes with Perelli tyres
basoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 10:48   #19
Denedriver

Default XC 90 tyre noise.

hello all.

I had posted an update previously, but it appears to have disappeared or gone to the original thread. Apologies if this is then a repeat of the information.

I spent an hour with a Volvo Master Technician on the motorway on Friday. he accepted that the noise and resonance was unacceptable (in any car) at the levels experienced. I have dropped the rear tyre pressures to 32 psi (it looks a little flat to me, so will cause excessive wear!) the noise is better but only marginally.

I have referred back to VCUK customer care who have knocked me back the the dealer (very helpful Volvo Squire Furneux at Leatherhead) saying they will be dealing with Volvo technical Division to make sure the car works within the manufacturers specification. Still no acceptance from VUK customer Care that there is a problem.

Other than winter tyres, does anyone know of any similar reports from the 19 inch wheel?

Regards

Denedriver
Denedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 12:34   #20
Denedriver

Default Two threads going

It seems there re two threads going on this.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...highlight=xc90
Denedriver is offline   Reply With Quote