Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boxter high jynx.

Views : 2019

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 13:16   #11
andy1

>>Must have been an S. Just thank yourself you weren't going
>>round a corner or he would have been too far ahead to even
>>read his number plate!!
>
>Thats what I thought when I blew one away on the M40 back in
>the summer.
>
>He was trying to catch me down the M40, along the A34 and all
>down the A420 and every time he got close, I just put my foot
>down and off I went :)
>
>He must have been pretty anoyed though as he must have been
>able to see the TDi badge on the back :D and must have been
>chokeing on all the soot.

hey network guy who exactly are you trying to kid? do you really expect fellow motoring enthusiasts to beleive that a volvo diesel (0-60 9.8secs top speed 130}is going to see off a boxster s {0-60 5.4 secs top speed 164, 260bhp}cross country?? sounds like the sort of thing i said 25 years ago when i would swear blind my dads allegro would see off a 3 litre capri(it would honest!!)i had a kind of excuse i was ten years old whats yours??
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 13:34   #12
Mav_UK

You know there is a saying 'It's not the car it's the driver'

Over the years it's amazing what my cars have come across and beaten. Mainly down to the fact that I just didn't care about damage to my engine. e.g. My modded 1500 Spit has seen off numerous 'faster' cars purely down to the fact that I made it do nasty things (6750rpm - redline is 5500 - 6000 but there is no limiter) and they didn't, I may need new shells at the moment but it put a grin on my face. If you want to win you ignore the bills. If you want to win and ignore bills plus safety please do it off the road though }( . Plus I don't know that many people with quick cars who really know how to use them properly.....

So Network Guy - were you gunning it big time? :+

Stu
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 13:37   #13
andy1

hey network guy, whom exactly are you trying to kid ?do you really expect fellow motoring enthusiasts to beleive that a volvo diesel(0-60 9.4 secs top speed 130}is going to see of a boxster s(0-60 5.4 secs top speed 164 260bhp } cross country?? sounds like the sort of thing i said 25years ago when i would swear blind my dads allegro would see off 3 litre capris(it would honest!!}i had a kind of excuse,i was ten years old,whats yours??
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 14:29   #14
Networkguy

Default RE: Boxter high jynx.

>hey network guy, whom exactly are you trying to kid ?do you
>really expect fellow motoring enthusiasts to beleive that a
>volvo diesel(0-60 9.4 secs top speed 130}is going to see of a
>boxster s(0-60 5.4 secs top speed 164 260bhp } cross
>country??

Well if you are quoting figures.

Warthog posted the other day, these figures

from the Volvo Owners handbook:-

>850 T5
>Power - 166 kw (225bhp) @ 5280 rpm
>Torque - 300 Nm @ 2000 - 5280 rpm)

>850 T5R
>Power - 177 kw (240bhp) @ 5600 rpm
>Torque - 300 Nm @ 2000 - 5600 rpm)

Which compared with the figures on mine

>Power - 103 kw (148bhp) @ 4000 rpm
>Torque - 290 Nm @ 1900 - 3100 rpm

The torque figures are not that far apart.

But to answer your question

Cross country NEVER (unless the Porche driver didn't know how to drive the thing). And of course I did say "you will never find me at any track days".

As I said, I was on the motorway and every time the road cleared up, I floored it (and dropped back into lane 2), whilst Mr Boxter stayed in lane 3 trying to get past. We are talking about accelerating from 50mph up to just below the point where I would loose me license.

I would never try and take anything on away from a standing start (because of the figures you quote) but once the thing is rolling, the gearing is spot on between 50 and 100mph which is why it makes such a good motorway cruiser.

Actually, it would be interesting to see what the 50 to 70mph and 70 to 90mph times are on this thing and comparing them against real performance cars.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 14:31   #15
Networkguy

>So Network Guy - were you gunning it big time? :+
>

Not that much so.

Because of where the gearing falls on the TDi, you can just sink your foot at 50mph in 4th gear and it just goes (the same applies from about 70mph in 5th). So on the motorway, I never see the red line (or anywhere near it) and of course the ability to accelerate hard in 5th gear give you an advantage when everybody else is having to mess about changing gears :P
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 19:13   #16
redestate

WHAT HAVE I STARTED.JUST TO CLEAR UP IT WAS NOT ME QUESTIONING YOUR DIESELS ABBILITY. IM OFF TO FIND A VOLVO TRUCK ENGINE TO SHOE HORN IN TO MY 850-R. DIESEL OFF COURSE. 350 BHP AND #### LOADS OF TOURQUE. IM NOT KIDDING ONE OF THESE OUTDRAGED A 1.6I GHIA ORION I HAD ONCE FROM A ROUNDABOUT. I LOOKED UP TO SEE HIM LAUGHING HIS HEAD OFF. WOW.
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 19:20   #17
Networkguy

>IM OFF TO FIND A VOLVO
>TRUCK ENGINE TO SHOE HORN IN TO MY 850-R. DIESEL OFF COURSE.
>350 BHP AND #### LOADS OF TOURQUE.

I understand that Volvo are currently working on a bigger diesel engine for the new SUV and other larger cars in the range.

The report I read suggested 4 litres which if it is as good as the work they have done on the D5, should be a belter.
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 19:24   #18
andy1

networkguy, you will really have to get your story straight, look at your posting, you claim you were on the m40 a34 a420 i would have to suggest that you were engaged in cross county driving when you "blew away" the said boxster,why dont you just admit it, the whole episode was a figment of your vivid imagination(do you really own a volvo we have to ask)
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 20:19   #19
Networkguy

>networkguy, you will really have to get your story straight,
>look at your posting, you claim you were on the m40 a34 a420 i
>would have to suggest that you were engaged in cross county
>driving when you "blew away" the said boxster,why dont you
>just admit it, the whole episode was a figment of your vivid
>imagination(do you really own a volvo we have to ask)

Sorry but I thought I was dealing with a real person. Perhaps even somebody who will know that the M40 has 3 lanes, the A34 is a dual carrige way and the first part of the A420 is also dual carrigeway. None of which I would consider cross country (as in winding roads and not long straight stretches of tarmac).

But of course seeing all your other posts (your new here aren't you), I realise that you are indeed a troll so who cares what you think. Unless of course you are said boxter owner in which case I could understand your attitude.

But no. From your language and general attitude, I get the feeling that either a) you are still in school and not old enough to drive or b) old enough to drive (just) but probably found in Tescos car park on a Friday night drooling over a copy of Autoexpress whilst sitting in your Nova.

:*
Old Jan 18th, 2003, 00:10   #20
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

No you are not kidding. Would you believe 1500lbsft torque at about 1400revs? That's for a heavyweight but not a top weight 44tonner.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote