Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying a used car

Views : 1176

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 16:01   #11
green van man
Premier Member

Apart from 2 volvos all my cars have been private deals, even bought one out of a scrapyard once. They had faults, but the seller was not trying to hide them and we negotiated a price on the condition as presented.

Some of them did not look prity but we're sound where it mattered and were reliable.

My discovery was £1250 nearly 12 years ago, bought from the father of the girl selling it, came with new mot, he put it through the test after sale so I had full 12 months and it came with 1/4 tank of diesel, rear tyres were legal but worn which was pointed out.

There are still some people of principle, you just have to find them. Personal recommendation has always been my method of buying, ask around your mates , supprising what a mate of a mate of a mate will come up with. Internet I avoid unless dealers and garentee.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 23:35   #12
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Of course it's 'caveat emptor', but I find buying privately more suitable for me than through a dealer.

Main dealers seem keener to sell you finance than vehicles and half the lads and lasses with shiny, ill-fitting suits don't actually know anything about cars. (Q: "What's the real world fuel consumption?" A: "It's got bluetooth.")
Used Car lots are just as likely to hide or be ignorant of faults than a private seller, but their prices are higher.

Both sets of professional car sellers learn how to hide what they're really thinking.

Now, go private and it's generally easier to avoid traps. "I service it myself" he says, but his front garden is full of junk. You know what to do!
You arrive early and park down the road. She's still taking out the child seat and he's removing the dashcam and high-vis jackets ...

An over-simplification, perhaps, but you get my drift.

----------------------------------------------
Nice car - except for the fragile auto-box.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 00:20   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

The issue with cash sales is the likelihood of being given false notes. Yes, it does happen! Taking cash, potentially lots of it depending on what vehicle you're selling is an easier way to get duped. Unless you physically inspect each note whilst the purchaser is there, then there's always a risk. It might never happen, but it certainly can & has.

I'd much prefer a BACS transfer, as you can check the funds have arrived in your account practically instantly nowadays & that rules out the issue of false notes.

Obviously, I'd still offer the option to purchase the vehicle I'm selling by cash because I understand that not everyone has access to online or mobile banking. If the purchaser decided they wanted to go ahead, I'd bring them to my bank so the money can be paid into the account directly with them present & the legitimacy of the notes would automatically be flagged up, if there were any. Once & only once the funds had been paid into the account & were cleared, then the paperwork etc can be sorted.

**I'd only allow viewings if someone was paying by cash during bank opening hours. If you want to come in the evening, you can by all means, but you won't be taking my vehicle home with you until you come to the bank & the funds have been paid in/cleared (hence viewings during bank opening hours). If you couldn't come during bank opening hours due to other commitments, you can still pay by cash, but you'd have to hang around until I inspect each note (I'll make you a tea or coffee whilst you wait ). Any genuine interested party would understand this, particularly if they like the car. If the buyer doesn't & gets annoyed, then they can look at another vehicle & I'd have no problem telling them that.

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 3rd, 2020 at 00:32.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 01:42   #14
Bashy
Aged Member

Not just buying a car, selling can be a minefield, You need to be very weary if seeing them turn up with their friends. 1 or 2 keeps you occupied, theyre very good at what the do, whilst the other(s) do something to cause the car to start to smoke and hey presto they immediately want a significant reduction, these are normally the Eastern Europeans. I'd also be very weary of buying from them too, there's far too many of them are Arthur Dailey but much worse.....

Heck, I bought mine from a medium sized lot with inside showroom and still ended up with a lemon, when I go back a few days later, all the cars were gone and closed, they were of unknown origin....
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 08:33   #15
Welton
Premier Member

I learnt to stay calm when buying a car and let the car 'speak' to you.....

In 1995 I bought a 1991 'H' reg Peugeot 309 GRi (had the 1.6 GTi engine) from an independent motor trader and I bought it because I wanted that model. It was out front puffing its chest out at an attractive price, it was silver.

I also wanted it for fuel economy (being electronic fuel injection) so first job was to 'brim' the tank to test the economy.......petrol poured out from the top of the tank all over the forecourt causing an 'emergency' and embarrassment. Returned to the dealer and TBF they fixed it without question.

Months later a old friend at a Peugeot main agent looked over the car......turns out the car used to be a courtesy car at a BMW dealer so imagine how it'd spent its life and also had been in an accident (damaging a breather on top of the tank) and the body had been Jigged - there were clamping marks on the sills which I assumed were poor jacking marks. The repairs were satisfactory and common back then (would be a written off these days) This main agent also still had the very same model for sale in White for about £600.00 more than I paid but it was a genuine straight local car they'd looked after since new - I'd seen it before sculking at the back of the sales yard, I overlooked it because White.....I wouldn't have had any issues with it.

The silver one had wind noise from the door rubbers due to poor body alignment and the whole experience was dreadful I felt very let down and annoyed.

A £50.00 inspection would have saved so much aggravation, everything bought since has had a HPi check at the least.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 09:06   #16
psl
Master Member

The first car I went to view was the biggest shock. Turned up at said address, knocked on the door. Old chap came out and knew nothing of a car for sale, all of a sudden I get called by the lady I had spoken to on the phone, she is standing at the end of the path. She explained after I had made my apologies to the home owner that they use this address to sell from. When I asked her to please explain, as I was under the impression that this was a private sale, she works for a group of European dealers and they get her to do the talking, as she speaks very good English. its how they do things she explained. I'm made my excuses and left. As looking at a very over used car by being watch by 3 oily none English speaking people and their translator wasn't too comfortable.
Regards to payment, yes the internet is handy for that but like me if you only have an old phone and struggle to even send an email then like me your buggered.
I know people are out to make money but would they put their own loved ones at risk and ask them to drive some distance in a dangerous car?
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 09:49   #17
Dippydog
Premier Member

The last car I bought privately was my V70[it was from someone I knew through work]but at £50 with 10mths M.o.T. I got what I got.I still have it now above 4yrs later and it still looks the same as it did when bought-i.e. shabby.The last bought car was from a sole traders E-bay advert[my 960] in the ad he listed a couple of known faults-an aftermarket alarm that would randomly fire off,wrinkly door cards and the horn had stopped working.I contacted him via E-Bay and said I'd have it[based solely on his description and the pictures]and asked how he'd wish payment to be made.He replied that while obviously he'd be happy to sell the car he wouldn't do so until I'd viewed it and was satisfied with the car.Arrangements were made and with cash in pocket I bought a one way train ticket-I'm in N.Lincs and he was in Surrey!-and off I went,he picked me up from the nearest train station to him,the car was exactly as he'd described it and I bought it there and then arranged insurance over the phone VED over the internet and drove it home,now in my 2nd year of ownership and it's been[like the V70] a very reliable motor car.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 10:22   #18
psl
Master Member

O the joys of eBay. I couldn't buy a car or item unless I viewed it beforehand. As I've found out my opinion differs greatly compared to the masses. I have enjoyed bargain motoring and was hoping to introduce my son to bargain motoring, not dangerous motoring. I don't really want him to shell out more then £1000 for a car he has to learn to maintain and drive. if he puts it through a hedge in his first year of driving then so be it. If he looks after it and doest do anyone or anything a mischief, then I shall be happy for him to upgrade to a nice car.
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 12:37   #19
rickyghib

My two cents- just to give hope from recent purchases:

2018- bought a 850glt from a forum member- could not have been a better experience. Really pleased.

Aug 2020- FB Marketplace- V70 T5. Spoke with the vendor, he sent me more photos and answered all my questions. Viewed it, test drive, paid via bank tx, all very good. BUT...on the way home, 5 minutes onto the m5- power failure and smoke from the engine. Called him immediately and he was as surprised as me. He got dropped off on the hard shoulder, called the AA, got the car home and gave me the money back there and then. He was more upset that the engine had gone in his beloved T5 than anything else. After the purchase, he had no duty of care to me, but still, in this day and age, it was nice to be treated and trusted like that.
rickyghib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 13:39   #20
psl
Master Member

It's good to know there are some decent folk out there.
On a positive note I have confirmed to purchase a car at the 5th time of asking. At last I've found and brought a car from a person of like minded values.
Nevertheless the whole experience has been an eye opener. 2 days off work and a few quid down but now I can look forward to spending a few hours showing number 3 child on how a service and maintenance can be positive in the long run of car maintenance.