Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240glt Estate. B230e. Leaded, Unleaded Or Super Unleaded ????

Views : 2945

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:21   #11
740Estate
Undercover 740

Run it on unleaded and not worry about the mods?
Theyre obviously after your custom then!

I would run it on 98 Unleaded if it was me.

If I knew if the headgasket had been done, etc, then I'd run it on 95.

I wouldnt just shove any old unleaded in it as Stratstone suggests though.

The info on the unleaded page was supplied by Volvo and for a reason.

If you're going to keep the car with a view to long term ownership, take the time to get it checked whether it's been modded and put the fuel in accordingly!

Thats all I can/would suggest really.
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:36   #12
minty
Trader

Thanks "volvo 740". I have got to agree with the ` i they want your business theory`. I think that the super unleaded is the better option as it has been run on it for the last 4 years according to the previous owner. I hope this concludes this enigma as i am running out of things to try (next on the list was semi- skimmed and then full cream).

Due to the cocktail of fuels it has had over the past two weeks should it cause it any problems you know of, also super unleaded is 97 octane whereas the cars manual says use 98 minimum is this significant ?.
Thanks very much for the help. Minty
minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:37   #13
minty
Trader

Thanks all !!!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:05   #14
740Estate
Undercover 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty
Due to the cocktail of fuels it has had over the past two weeks should it cause it any problems you know of, also super unleaded is 97 octane whereas the cars manual says use 98 minimum is this significant ?.
Thanks very much for the help. Minty
Problems? I shouldnt think so to be honest. If it had been pinking a lot, then maybe, but you've not reported any problems bar a lack of clarity on which fuel to use!

I wouldnt imagine the difference between 97 and 98 octane to be that much of a problem, although I couldnt say for definate. Maybe someone who is running a car the same as yours will have some input.
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:10   #15
chris m

I always use Optimax (99 Octane) for the B230E engine in the 240. Once I tried half a tank of 95 Octane unleaded and the engine just didn't like it: pinging under acceleration and worse performance.

If you don't need all your horses working for you, you probably could play with the dizzy to alter the ignition timing. But quite likely you will "benefit" from less power and higher fuel consumption.

My advice: stick to 98 Octane (or higher) petrol, lead or leadreplacement is NOT required for the B230E.

Cheers, Chris
chris m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 14:08   #16
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

I've done about 300 miles in my 240GLT since I got it in April. I've normally used a 'good' brand standard 95ron unleaded (not supermarket petrol), with the occasional fill up with soopa doops 4**** unleaded. Seems to run quite happily on 95 unleaded, never any sign of pinking, or any other problems.

I have also run a bottle of RedeX through it, in the recommended dose with the fuel, mostly because the car had been off the road for some time, and I just thought that it might help to clean some of the gunge out of the fuel system.

I would advise checking the air flow meter body tho'. When I took the rubber bellows off mine I was astounded at the amount of grotty varnish and filthy deposits in the body of this, and on the air flow flap. I took off the inlet air pipe as well, and washed out the thing with a couple of cans of carb cleaner aerosol spray (PUT a bucket under the car if you do this!!) Got about half a pint of road tar out of it!!! Did seem to run nicer afterwards.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 19:36   #17
classicracing

I have always used 95 RON with my GLT's (current'89 high compression)
I set the timing to 8 degrees BTDC to get only slight pinking under heavy load and 32 MPG
You do not need lead to protect the valves and seats and 95 will do the job
Its only worth using the 98 with the later ECU controlled ignition with the knock sensor as the higher octain delays the onset of timing retardation
Car is on 280,000 miles
Richard
classicracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:40   #18
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Speaking with twenty years experience of 240s (not just my own) I have always used standard unleaded and if necessary retarded timing a little to eliminate pinking. It should be quite happy like this and will not cause any damage.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:22   #19
minty
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace
Speaking with twenty years experience of 240s (not just my own) I have always used standard unleaded and if necessary retarded timing a little to eliminate pinking. It should be quite happy like this and will not cause any damage.

Mike
Even if it has not had the modifications recomended by volvo ?????
Please can you tell me the difference between the 1988 b230e and the 1990 b230e as it states in the volvo fuel recomendations that only the 240`s 1990 engine can use unleaded...................Very confusing me thinks.
Please excuse the level of paranoia, reason being is that the car is running lumpy at the moment(i believe this is due to a failed intank fuel pump) although it does not stall. The last thing i want to do is put the wrong fuel in and worsen the situation,,,, Thanks Minty
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:45   #20
Peter D
Peter D

Minty, a failed intank pump will not give you a lumpy tick over unless the fuel level is low causing the pressure bypass as the top of the little pump to be exposed and is sucking in air. If above 3/8 full this would not be the case. Have you teated the current being drwn by the pump. ( 1.6 amps) Also there was a spate of perished/ split rubber connenctor between the metal down pipe and the top of the pump. This split will reduce the lift pressure and can cause air to be sucked into the fuel line if the intank pump has failed. usually fuel level above 1/2 cover this pipe. Check to see if pump is drawing 1.6 amps. If you have a tyre valve type bleed valve on the pipe going into the main pump you can also chaeck the pump is OK as with the pump suses 4 and 6 bypassed ( Linked ) is you press the valve in fuel come out in a squirt ( careful ) if the pump is running, or sucks are in if it is not. Can you hear the main pump cavitating/sqealing when you are under the car pasenger side ( RHD ) ? Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote