Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RTi not opening

Views : 2898

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:40   #11
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The repair kit was only introduced last month , maybe a UK only thing?
No idea. As I don't have the RTI, I've forwarded the number to a friend with a faulty RTI unit. He's been cursing that since it broke about a year after buying his car...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:44   #12
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Quote:
no afraid not , but how much could a set of plastic gears cost that you could get in a model shop for £3 ? ;-)
Yeah but we could say that about a new CEM or a Stereo? These items shouldn't cost £600 - £900 but they do! It is good there is a Kit for the RTI though, it's just a pitty that most dealers don't seem to know anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Well, according to Volvo Cars Germany, there isn't a repair kit and you need to buy the entire unit.
Well now armed with the very helpful (as always) info from Clan you can go back and educate them.

On my next visit to Volvo which will be Sat morning I'm going to ask out of curiosity if first of all they know about the kit and then second to enquire how much the part number supplied by Clan is.

I've read a few threads where people are just told they have to replace the whole unit at £££.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 11:13   #13
beomoth

For Daim :
I got the part number off a german website so I guess its available in germany.
I`ll order it tomoro so I`ll post the price, can anyone confirm its just a case of carefully popping the grill and removing a few screws?
beomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 17:07   #14
beomoth

Just taken the unit out. However the cog most people mention seems to be intact. There is a black plastic cog which spins from the motor, this is moving but not engaging the rest so I guess there is a misalignment or teeth missing deep inside.
Interested as to whether this repair kit actually replaces the whole mechanism including motor as I cant imagine they would want to fiddle with individual cogs and tiny circlips/springs. Thats what I am hoping anyway especially with my sausage fingers . You would still think it should be fairly cheap....ha ha likely.
Any one any thoughts?
beomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 17:59   #15
Daim
Brit in Germany

Okay, the kit costs here in Germany €10 and consists of a few parts!

- cogs
- grease
- a spring
- some flat washers

A friend has ordered it. I'll probably be fitting a kit this weekend

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 19:57   #16
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Okay, the kit costs here in Germany €10 and consists of a few parts!

- cogs
- grease
- a spring
- some flat washers

A friend has ordered it. I'll probably be fitting a kit this weekend
That's not bad €10, must admit I was expecting a lot worse. Although as these parts wear and fail due to bad design then I say Volvo should be providing them FOC? You would have also thought that in the new kits the cogs would have been of a more robust material but I'm guessing they are plastic again??

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 20:07   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

The CAUSE of the gears stripping is the rim of the screen fouls the surround , so the gears are overloaded when raising the screen .
With the gear train disconnected put it all back and make sure the screen flops up and down without fouling the edge of the "hole" in the dash , if it does then relieve the edge where it touched !
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 20:39   #18
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
The CAUSE of the gears stripping is the rim of the screen fouls the surround , so the gears are overloaded when raising the screen .
With the gear train disconnected put it all back and make sure the screen flops up and down without fouling the edge of the "hole" in the dash , if it does then relieve the edge where it touched !
Thanks for the tip! I always just thought it was bad material choices (I personally don't think the Volvo RTI is a good system so I didn't choose a car with it).

Old Jun 7th, 2012, 15:22   #19
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
I personally don't think the Volvo RTI is a good system so I didn't choose a car with it
Yeah, I've got an SE Lux with the nav and don't think its great. If I'd known I could stream through bluetooth I'd have got an SE and just used my phone for Satnav
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 11:03   #20
Hueyhewlett

Default Repair of non opening RTI

Hi all. I have a V50 2004 and my screen wouldnt raise not the system was working. Anyway after reading the various forum advice I ordered the kit (30644536) from volvo which cost £10.08 (img_0291)IMG_0291.jpg. I repaired mine, its very easy and have attached a explanation and images so you can follow the process.

First you will need to remove the grill surround, it is held in with 4 spring clips, 2 at the front which pop out quite easily with a flat bladed screwdriver and 2 at the rear (nearest the windowscreen). These are slightly inboard from the corners and I found it easier using a long screwdriver from each side to prise the panel out. Be careful and take your time, it will come out. Next you will need to desconnect the sensor plug, I found it easier to pop the sensor away from the grill and unplug it afterwards.
Now remove the 4 screws holding the RTI frame in place, these are torq style. Remove the 2 plugs into the body, they both have retaining clips and are quite stiff so patience is needed! Remove the black gear cover on the right hand side of the housing (img_0285)IMG_0285.jpg.

Release the side cover and lower bracket (there are screws under the foam pad) to access the gears (img_0287)IMG_0287.jpg noting there is a screw next to the small motor that needs to be loosened only. The problem gear is normally the rearmost one with the springs etc. Note positions and remove clip, washer and spring (img_0289)IMG_0289.jpg and the last 2 gears (replacement are within the kit). You will notice that there is a metal drive pin on the last gear shaft and this has to be aligned with the slots within this gear (img_0284)IMG_0284.jpg.

Ensure the motor drive teeth aren't engaged at this point and fold the screen down, insert the new gears ensuring they mesh and the drive pin is in its recess. Put the spring etc back on (img_0282)IMG_0282.jpg, you may find it easier to raise the screen to locate the spring.

Now lower the screen and engage the motor, align the drive shafts and screw holes, re-attach not forgetting the screw by the motor. (img_0294)IMG_0294.jpg

Reconnect plugs etc and ensure everything works ok before greasing (in kit) and refitting black cover. It would also be a good idea as previousily mentioned in a post to check that nothing is fouling the screen (look for any witness marks) before installing into housing. I hope that helps, Huey
Hueyhewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hueyhewlett For This Useful Post:

Tags
vaiotag