Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 - Broke Down On Me!!!!

Views : 9404

Replies : 88

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 21:42   #11
tommitchelldrum

Ok I will do! Thanks for that!

It was only serviced by my small local garage a couple of weeks ago so I'll check if they did the filter.

Where can I buy a fault reader?
tommitchelldrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 21:51   #12
400-ascona
Premier Member

Got mine off Ebay, but there is another thread on fault code readers, and the one I bought isn't the only one available, but it works for me.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 11:45   #13
tommitchelldrum

Great, I will look into buying one!

I will get them to change the filter first and if that doesn't work I'll get them to get the codes and I'll post them up on here :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to tommitchelldrum For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 14:47   #14
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommitchelldrum View Post
Great, I will look into buying one!

I will get them to change the filter first and if that doesn't work I'll get them to get the codes and I'll post them up on here :-)
I've never been charged by a Volvo garage for looking at the fault codes.

I'd go to a different garage.

I use Charlwood Volvo for my XC90. They'll change your gearbox ATF for less than you've been quoted.

They charged me £375 for a splined sleeve change as yours seems to have failed as well your other issue.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jan 29th, 2011 at 14:53.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 18:42   #15
In Reverse

My local main dealer, SMW Belfast, quoted me £45 plus vat for code read, but then tried to invoice me £85 and said fault, which is similar to the one you descibe, could be any number of things and they'd need to spend a few hours further investigating it.

I took advice from forum members and asked a local mechanic to check fuel filter. It was black, he reckoned it hadn't been changed in 4-5yrs. Cleared out fuel lines, emptied tank and car has run perfect since.

My car had full main dealer history (at various dealers in NI and Bristol area). I would definately get fuel filter done.
In Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 17:54   #16
tommitchelldrum

Right - Volvo have told me that the cam belt has jumped and that is what caused the break down. They say that the timing is out and have sent me a couple of photos of the belt marked up. I would post them but don't know how?!

I got the cam belt done by my local garage a few weeks ago.

Volvo wanted 4 hours labour (at about £110 p/h + VAT) to see what else is wrong! They said that the two fault codes that came up were Mass Airflow Sensor and Fuel Pressure.

So..... I have had the car trailered over to the local garage who have had a look and confirmed that the tining is out and will investigate further as the car won't start - not even manually.

Does this sound right to you guys? I reall value your opinions and want to get this sorted asap.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 19:42   #17
400-ascona
Premier Member

Sounds like the timing is out if its confirmed by another garage, but unless they didn't change the tensioner when they did the cam belt, I would be suspicious that it has been out since it was fitted. If it slipped one tooth you are very lucky (I assume it turns over with no unusual noises?), as the damage could have been horrendous. Another new cam belt and new tensioner required at least, and do the filter......
You also need to visit the garage that did the job originally, and make sure they cover all costs.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 21:33   #18
tommitchelldrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Sounds like the timing is out if its confirmed by another garage, but unless they didn't change the tensioner when they did the cam belt, I would be suspicious that it has been out since it was fitted. If it slipped one tooth you are very lucky (I assume it turns over with no unusual noises?), as the damage could have been horrendous. Another new cam belt and new tensioner required at least, and do the filter......
You also need to visit the garage that did the job originally, and make sure they cover all costs.
Do you think that this could be what caused the car to break down and not start again though?
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 22:14   #19
400-ascona
Premier Member

Without seeing the car its hard to tell. If the belt has slipped, it would certainly be the reason. Was it running OK after the cam belt was done? Did it feel as good as it was before it went in to be done?
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 22:25   #20
tommitchelldrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Without seeing the car its hard to tell. If the belt has slipped, it would certainly be the reason. Was it running OK after the cam belt was done? Did it feel as good as it was before it went in to be done?
Yes it felt fine after it was done. It was done on 6th Jan and there has not been a problem since...until it broke down of course.

It did feel lumpy coming down the motorway as I mentioned before, almost as if it was running out of Diesel. Could this be to do with the cam belt??