Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LED DRLs in fogs

Views : 15011

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:20   #11
jocker01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
since the introduction of these "day running lights " in the fog light position , the law must have changed , does anyone know for sure ?
I will contact traffic sgt to confirm this for all!
jocker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:25   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

I might be older but as i remember, fog lights below 2 ft off the ground can only be used ON THEIR OWN in FOG or Falling SNOW . They can be used any time as long as they are accompanied by the headlamps ..Correct? If the law HAS changed to allow these low placed running lights then whats the difference between those and fog lights to the general public ? fog lights appear less bright due to their very narrow fan like beam patern , ie you would only be blinded by them if your eyes are at exactly the same height as the fog lights ( the beam doesnt extend much beyond the height of the lens ) ... This is all construction and use rather than "law" though ..
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:48   #13
jocker01

Highway code says:
Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236)

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

plus

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
PART III
Regulation 25

Requirements about the use of headlamps and front fog lamps

25.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle which is fitted with obligatory dipped-beam headlamps unless every such lamp is kept lit–

(a)during the hours of darkness, except on a road which is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 by virtue of a system of street lighting when it is lit; and.

(b)in seriously reduced visibility..

(2) The provisions of paragraph (1) do not apply–

(a)in the case of a motor vehicle fitted with one obligatory dipped-beam headlamp or a solo motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination fitted with a pair of obligatory dipped-beam headlamps, if a main-beam headlamp or a front fog lamp is kept lit;.

(b)in the case of a motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination, fitted with a pair of obligatory dipped-beam headlamps, if–.

(i)a pair of main-beam headlamps is kept lit; or.

(ii)in seriously reduced visibility, a pair of front fog lamps which is so fitted that the outermost part of the illuminated area of each lamp in the pair is not more than 400 mm from the outer edge of the vehicle is kept lit;.

(c)to a vehicle being drawn by another vehicle;.

(d)to a vehicle while being used to propel a snow plough; or.

(e)to a vehicle which is parked..

(3) For the purposes of this regulation a headlamp shall not be regarded as lit if its intensity is reduced by a dim-dip device.

and :

requirements relating to optional front fog lamps

1. Number–
(a) Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (b):
No requirement

(b) A motor vehicle, other than a motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination, first used on or after 1st April 1991:
Not more than two

2. Position–
(a) Longitudinal:
No requirement

(b) Lateral–
(i)Where a pair of front fog lamps is used in conditions of seriously reduced visibility in place of the obligatory dipped beam headlamps–.
Maximum distance from side of vehicle:
400 mm

(ii)in all other cases:.
No requirement

(c) Vertical–
(i)Maximum height above the ground–.
(A)Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (B):.
1200 mm

(B)An agricultural vehicle, a road clearance vehicle, an aerodrome fire tender, an aerodrome runway sweeper, an industrial tractor, engineering plant and a home forces' vehicle:.
No requirement

(ii)Minimum height above the ground:.
No requirement

3. Angles of visibility:
No requirement

4. Alignment:
To the front and so aimed that the upper edge of the beam is, as near as practicable, 3 per cent below the horizontal when the vehicle is at its kerbside weight and has a weight of 75 kg on the driver’s seat

5. Markings–
(a) A vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986:
An approval mark

(b) A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986:
No requirement

6. Size of illuminated area:
No requirement

7. Colour:
White or yellow

8. Wattage:
No requirement

9. Intensity:
No requirement

10. Electrical connections:
No individual requirement

11. Tell-tale:
No requirement.

12. Other requirements–
Every front fog lamp shall be so constructed that the direction of the beam of light emitted therefrom can be adjusted whilst the vehicle is stationary.
13. Definitions–
In this Schedule “appproval mark” means either–
(a) a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 19 of Schedule 4 to those Regulations; or
(b) a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 4 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 19 or 19A of Schedule 2 of those Regulations.
jocker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:54   #14
volvorocks
Rodney

Not really talking about legalities, talking about confusion.

Yes we all know fog lights must not be used sometimes yet people do, and I have noticed people driving with what appear to be fog lights when in fact they are DRL
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 20:45   #15
volvoadventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocker01 View Post
I would like to fit DRL on my car but don't want to disable front fogs (may need them one day or night).
regards, Jocker01
I have now updated the web page at the bottom for those who like to keep the Fog lights and install new LEDs, it is very simple to do: http://volvoadventures.com/howtododa...foglights.html

Hope it works for you, haven't tested it be sure it works.
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 22:07   #16
gkaloy10

Can this be done in the 05 S40?
gkaloy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 09:54   #17
volvoadventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaloy10 View Post
Can this be done in the 05 S40?
You have to check schematics for your model.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 11:48   #18
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

I still think you'll just look someone who's put your fog-lights on when it's not foggy

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 22:05   #19
volvoadventures

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
I still think you'll just look someone who's put your fog-lights on when it's not foggy
That is fine, I do not care what other people think, as long as they see me coming
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoadventures For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 23:37   #20
craigblues
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
I saw a new V50 with some in, and I looked in the rear view and thought why have you got your fogs on! and then realized they were the LED Fog Replacements as they have four little squares you can see (hard to explain)

I do like them but I think I prefer the fogs.
craigblues is offline   Reply With Quote