Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nokian WR Tyres and Average MPG.

Views : 18886

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 13:57   #11
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysuv69 View Post
http://www.gt-tires.com/pattern.asp?...+4+Wheel+Drive

Is there anyone using these? I might try them. They are made in Indonesia.
I cannot see them being much use for the XC90, as most have 18"wheels?

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 19:57   #12
Genghis
Genghis

Smile Reply to sexysuv69

Hi

If you want a cheap set of tyres for your car. I can recommend using Kumho's. I got myself in a situation where I needed 4 new tyres quickly (Michelins had done 21,000 - front 2 were illegal, 1 of the back ones was borderline and the other blew up on the M25) and I was going on holiday in the car in 2 days time. The garages I contacted couldn't get Nokians in. One of the garages was very good (they actually had customer service and honesty) he basically said that all tyres these days were pretty much similar and it came down to how much you wanted to pay though he said some offered better grip in the corners for handling.

Looking at my XC90 and realising it was not going to challenge Hamilton in an F1 car I realised that paying out for tyres which cost more just for better handling in corners was probably not the best use of money. Anyhow I took a gamble on the Kumho's - they cost £50 each fully fitted. Just done 3,000 miles on them and they are fine - mpg is the same, cornerning/handling is the same. The only thing I noticed at first was that there were slightly noisier on the motorway though I now think that was due to the bearings on my car which have been replaced (see previous thread about wheel bearings). Just had the bearings replaced and the car is as quiet as a mouse (just been on the A3).

Hope this helps

Jamie
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 21:02   #13
vertangie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The day before you posted I ordered some Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extremes because I was looking for something with some off road performance but the Nokians were on my short list. The range of 18" tyres for the XC90 is fairly limited, especially with off road capability,so I might bite the bullet one day and get some 17" rims to get a bit more choice. I'll post when I get some wear figures for the Vredesteins.

Just for the record we've got some vredestein snow tyres, living in cumbria we wanted something that we could use all year round, rain, snow, sleet and sun.

They've been on the car for 2 and half years, been up and down the m6/m1 a couple of times, driven over fields, and we don't swap them over in the summer (we got pelted with hail yesterday so we know better than to assume summer means heat up here, yes yesterday was in June).

There's no sign of wear although we've only done about 10k on them. but 10k including fields and treacherous mountain roads.

We considered the nokians at the same time but went for the vredesteins in the end. Noticed that we don't seem to leave a spray trail when it's pelting with rain and they really are good on snow and ice.

Just thought I'd share in case this helps anyone.

can't help with comparisons on MPG though as ours are on an old 240 (yes I know they're worth half the value of the car

Angie

Last edited by vertangie; Jun 23rd, 2007 at 21:04.
vertangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 22:37   #14
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysuv69 View Post
http://www.gt-tires.com/pattern.asp?...+4+Wheel+Drive

Is there anyone using these? I might try them. They are made in Indonesia.
What size wheels do you have? Are you going to put some different wheels on and what size tyres are you thinking of using?
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 00:00   #15
sexysuv69

Default re: Wheel size

Sorry guys, I have yet to check if they produce the size of tyres for the XC90.
sexysuv69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 00:15   #16
sexysuv69

Default GT tyres

Just found out that GT Savero tyres 235/65*17 cost around 54 GBP each.
sexysuv69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 20:57   #17
sfiente

I have used the Kumho tyres before, however not on my XC90. I must admit the Kumho tyres were fine for my van, but im not too sure about the XC90. Saying that, £54.00 a tyre it's well worth the gamble.

I still have the original Continentals on my car, which have been great for the road. However as I race motocross the car is needed to tow my trailer up and down some rough tracks and even hills at the weekend. With this in mind the Nokian's sound ideal, but still double what the Kumho's are.

I looked a right fool when my 4X4 had to be towed up by a tractor and as im in need of a change im not sure what I should get.

The continentals need replacing, they have done 24,000 miles, but have worn on the inside only (will see dealer re this, though they will blame the camber of the road)

Have you used the Kumho off road? Am I likely to get 24000 miles out of any of these cheaper alternatives, even though the car is mainly used on A roads?

Thanks
sfiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 21:46   #18
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiente View Post
I have used the Kumho tyres before, however not on my XC90. I must admit the Kumho tyres were fine for my van, but im not too sure about the XC90. Saying that, £54.00 a tyre it's well worth the gamble.

I still have the original Continentals on my car, which have been great for the road. However as I race motocross the car is needed to tow my trailer up and down some rough tracks and even hills at the weekend. With this in mind the Nokian's sound ideal, but still double what the Kumho's are.

I looked a right fool when my 4X4 had to be towed up by a tractor and as im in need of a change im not sure what I should get.

The continentals need replacing, they have done 24,000 miles, but have worn on the inside only (will see dealer re this, though they will blame the camber of the road)

Have you used the Kumho off road? Am I likely to get 24000 miles out of any of these cheaper alternatives, even though the car is mainly used on A roads?

Thanks
As far as I know, but I could be wrong, Kumho do not make a 235/60 R18 Tyre - they do make a R17, but most of the XC90's imported into the UK have 18" wheels.

Back to Nokian's <g>.

tem.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:18   #19
Genghis
Genghis

Default Kumho's offroad

Hi

I have been off-roading in the Lakes with my Kumho's and they were fine - I would say better then the Michelin as they seemed to not fill up the treads as much. I had to go up two very steep extremely muddy tracks (one was by mistake then second was just fun). On the first steep track my wheels were spinning but got up fine - on the second steep track it was not as wet as the first and it was absolutely fine. I've only had them for 4,000 miles thus far so don't know how long they will last. I am working on the basis that even if they will last a similar distance to more branded tyres then I still save money.

However I have never towed upill with them so afraid I cannot help out much. I suppose it is a question of whether you take a gamble or not but my experience of them is good and I would definately buy them again.

To answer the other question my Volvo is 18 inch and I didn't have a problem getting the tyres
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 14:44   #20
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Hi

To answer the other question my Volvo is 18 inch and I didn't have a problem getting the tyres
My mistake.

I have looked at www.kumhotyres.co.uk and they only list 17" tyres.
If you select Volvo XC90 they give the suitable tyre to be:- 235/65 R17?

tem.