Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cycle Carrier

Views : 3985

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 19:10   #11
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO
To anyone considering a roof mounted cycle rack, before taking the plunge, I suggest you do a practice run lifting the cycle(s) up as high and as far over as would be required to put them on a rack. In case of a mishap, if you want to do this over the actual vehicle, then make sure it is well protected, otherwise it will probably end up with a big dent / scratch.

It is easy to load on top of a V50 or V70, but an XC90 is another matter, unless you are pretty strong or about 6'8" tall! I'am about 6' and I know that there is no way I could safely put a cycle onto a roof rack when standing next to the vehicle.

That is a very good point, I saw an XC90 up close in a car park last night and was suprised at the height and size of the thing!

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention, if the roof is the chosen option, make sure that the carrier is compatable with the bike. Many mountain bikes have thin walled down tubes which are not suitable for use with cycle carriers that clamp on the down tube - hence why I use on a thule 511.

Philip
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:10   #12
Marmoset

You can actually buy a Thule roof mounted carrier that has it's own hydraulic ram which lets you load the bike onto the carrier at the side of teh car and then swing it up to the roof where it's locked in place. I've never seen one in the flesh though, only in the catalogue.

I've not had any problems with my Thule towbar rack mounting on the Volvo towbar - one point to bear in mind is to look at the nose weight capacity of the towbars, I did notice that some removable ones have a lower rating than fixed ones (mines a fixed) and 3 mtn bikes plus the rack can easily go over the 50kg limit set for some of them.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:49   #13
sarge
Master Member

Yes, Volvo also do the hydraulic lifting arm (probably the same as the Thule one anyway) which makes lifting the bikes onto the roof much easier. The only thing is it means you have to have reasonable clearance at the side of the car - but then I guess you would need that anyway for manual lifting. Have seen them in the dealer but never used one.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:19   #14
tedm

I went for the Thule tow bar mounted rack. Takes 4 bikes, has it's own lighting set and I can still open both parts of the tailgate with the bikes fitted.

Very pleased.
tedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 21:44   #15
JohnGoode

Interesting to read your answers.
I have just bought a XC90 with a detachable towbar already fitted. Unfortunately this towbar is not a swan neck which could accommodate several carriers (see www.towsure.com). It does seem that we are restricted to using the strap solution. Glad to read that it will not affect the roof spoiler.
Note that halfords sell plastic stops to put on end of straps inside car so as to not mark paintwork with metal ends etc.
One last thing, when you mount the carrier on the rear window, take care not to activate the rear windscreen wiper as it will hit the rack. So turn off the wiper before you reverse!
Hope the above helps.
Regards
John.

PS
Just found Thule 970 Express (2 bikes) that fits directly onto ball, with no other fixings. Will advise after I've tried it.

Last edited by JohnGoode; Jun 24th, 2006 at 22:32.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 17:53   #16
JohnGoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGoode View Post
PS
Just found Thule 970 Express (2 bikes) that fits directly onto ball, with no other fixings. Will advise after I've tried it.
Thule 970 Express (2 bikes) works very well - easy to fit - just make sure the towball is clean. And it cost less than £50. Good solution.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 23:37   #17
timclifford
tim

Smile Roof Racks and side steps

I have Volvo Aero Roof bars and the Thule Bike racks which work very well and feel secure but yes reaching up without standing on the door step or using a step is impossible.

Have been thinking about fitting the Volvo Side steps but at £600 fitted I keep thinking and not doing it! Does anyone who have them find that they help for loading the roof? I worry that they might be too slippy to stand/step up on?

My kids also have quite a step to climb in - do they help with this?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:03   #18
BFC001

Default side steps

I had them fitted by volvo cost £500 all in.

Perfect for either washing top of car or loading roof rack. Not rearly slippy at all.

regards
BFC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 22:55   #19
ianu
Premier Member

http://www.bostonvolvo.com/ ...I've just received some bona fide black rubber 'XC' foot steps (x4) from Boston Volvo - look great.
$41.74 + shipping.
Not sure if you can get them in the UK - but this site has loads of great stuff - even with shipping it's pretty good value if you order several items.
They are 5 hours behind us and John in the parts Dept is the person to speak to regarding internet orders.
You'll still need to get the side steps this side of the lake though...

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 13:05   #20
Patrick lince

Great call Ian!

The website has alot of cool stuff on it. What was the shipping costs like?
Patrick lince is offline   Reply With Quote