Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY2016 - DriveE VEA engines across the range

Views : 3287

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2015, 13:16   #11
dme123
Master Member

I don't doubt that the VEA is absolutely state of the art, and it's doubtless quieter, more refined, capable of more power and better economy than the old 5 pot engines. I am just sad that it's going to be totally lacking in charisma or character like the 5 pot had in spades, it may indeed be an excellent 4 cylinder engine but when all is said and done it is just another 4 cylinder diesel.

Of course this is an industry trend, and a BMW 528i now comes with a boosted four pot where you used to find one of the best 6 cylinder engines in the industry so you can't blame Volvo for it. The Ford days with the V8 and new T6 / i6 suggest that if their hands were not tied by emissions and economy regulations worldwide they would love to have a more interesting engine range.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 14:55   #12
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
I'd agree. 4 pot diesels are absolutely dreadful things, it's amazing how much difference the one extra cylinder makes in the Volvo engines. It's not as nice as a straight/V6 but it's massively superior to the power delivery and refinement of a 4 pot.

I've got mixed feelings on petrol 4 cylinder engines. They rarely, if ever, sound nice but with a turbo they can be very effective and the refinement can be excellent with balance shafts and clever engine mounts and so on. To be honest the 5 cylinder petrol in my T5 doesn't stand out massively over a 4 pot turbo to anything like the same extend that the D5 stands out over a typical TDi 4 pot.

Still, a car like an S80 (or BMW 5 series...) with a 4 cylinder engine seems like all sizzle and no steak to me!
I agree, the extra cylinder above 4 in a diesel makes all the difference to NVH
With petrols less so, but it will improve the sound, note and character.

I can live with 4pot petrols, preferably flat 4 turbos but normal i4 turbo petrol will do.

My mate has a 520d, lovely car with a horrific engine that completely ruins it and makes the car dull. I've had a C220cdi and E220cdi and the engines ruined the car. Driving a D5 after the E220cdi was a revelation. I am so glad to be getting one. TBH it was as good as the V6 diesel merc.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 18:06   #13
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
I don't doubt that the VEA is absolutely state of the art, and it's doubtless quieter, more refined, capable of more power and better economy than the old 5 pot engines. I am just sad that it's going to be totally lacking in charisma or character like the 5 pot had in spades, it may indeed be an excellent 4 cylinder engine but when all is said and done it is just another 4 cylinder diesel.

Of course this is an industry trend, and a BMW 528i now comes with a boosted four pot where you used to find one of the best 6 cylinder engines in the industry so you can't blame Volvo for it. The Ford days with the V8 and new T6 / i6 suggest that if their hands were not tied by emissions and economy regulations worldwide they would love to have a more interesting engine range.
I am sad to at the lose do not get me wrong, like you have said you cannot blame Volvo for this it's the way the industry is going in general. The VEA D4 is a new generation.

When I started my hunt for a new car I did long for something a little more exciting the Golf R32 came to mind nothing beats the V6 growl, all the hot Golfs are now 4 pots.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 19:18   #14
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs down

Why are Volvo discontinuing the D5 after all these years?
It's the only reason I have owned my 4 volvos (all D5), what is volvo's thinking behind scrapping it?
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 19:20   #15
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
It's the only reason I have owned my 4 volvos (all D5), what is volvo's thinking behind scrapping it?
Due to our new eco outlook on the world!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 21:44   #16
xco
Premier Member

Eco sucks
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 21:45   #17
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
I wouldn't count on its demise yet
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 21:53   #18
xco
Premier Member

I hope not also.
I dont fancy driving a 4 potter or an electric hybrid.
Perhaps if I hang on to my xc90 long enough it will comply with not having to pay road tax as a historic vehicle.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 22:18   #19
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I wouldn't count on its demise yet
Not yet, but quite soon.

The flagship car, the XC90 is 4pot VEA engine only. Once the current XC90, S/V60 and new S90/V90 come out and built around a platform that can only take a 4pot.

4pot diesels offend me, the NVH characterstics make them just unpleasant but I can happily drive around in one of those new VEA petrol engines. The newer petrols are quite efficient and very quiet and smooth.

For the sake of a fiver a week that is what I will do once my new to me S80 5pot D3 is no longer with me.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:47   #20
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
Not yet, but quite soon.

The flagship car, the XC90 is 4pot VEA engine only. Once the current XC90, S/V60 and new S90/V90 come out and built around a platform that can only take a 4pot.

4pot diesels offend me, the NVH characterstics make them just unpleasant but I can happily drive around in one of those new VEA petrol engines. The newer petrols are quite efficient and very quiet and smooth.

For the sake of a fiver a week that is what I will do once my new to me S80 5pot D3 is no longer with me.
Same plan here. It looks like the days of diesel as the only sensible option may be drawing to a close across Europe over the next few years, and a four pot boosted turbo may not be exciting but it's not outright offensive like a 4 pot diesel!
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:

Tags
drivee, my16, my2016, vea