Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abingdon 4x4 Festival

Views : 4382

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 23:29   #11
sumomeister

Bog standard Pirelli Scorpions, not a great amount of tread on either, need replacing soon I think.

Scary, but real good fun. (Only scared of potential repair bills )

Didn't see any X5s, Q7s etc trying it

The looks I was getting from the stewards should have warned me really, but hey, I think they were more surprised than me how capable the car was.

The only real problem the car had was it's length. It meant the really sharp hills caused a few bumps. One of the stewards commented though, that with decent off-road tyres, and maybe pumping up the suspension a bit, I would be sailed through no problem.

Maybe next year .....

Getting more grief from the mother-in-law about taking her grandkids out onto a old tank training course, but then I remembered, they're MY KIDS, and they thoroughly enjoyed it too !
sumomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 00:13   #12
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I would like to give it a try, but as you say at a site where you can take it easy and without going to extremes (repairbills...)
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 10:35   #13
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_XC90 View Post
I would like to give it a try, but as you say at a site where you can take it easy and without going to extremes (repairbills...)
Not sure if you can have fun if you are worried about repair. Having done off-road on a brand new yamaha tenere in the past, I know very well.

If you really want to have fun:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-LAND-ROVE...item255d94c014

just buy it (£2,000). Worst come the worst, that the max you will lose.

RP
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:07   #14
ianu
Premier Member

Hi Sumomeister,
Yes I did make it - not far behind you actually. Before I came on the course the stewards said there was already one on the course - so I thought it might be you.
I caught a glimpse of you right over the back cresting a few of the mounds before I queued up to join too.

Very well done though - it's the first time I've been around the course too and if I was honest if I'd walked it first I would probably have bailed out - but I'm glad I didn't.
I too broke my o/side step rear bracket on a particularly acute crest with some unforgiving stones on the top- pretty much every steward commented on your injuries too but were deeply respectful of us having a go.
And to be honest the 'easy' route was a pretty tough course - although I couldn't see it from inside the car - I don't think you'll get a much better trial that will consistently have either one or two wheels hanging 2 - 4 feet in the air as you traverse or twist through ditches or over banks - absolutely fantastic experience.
As you mentioned - I don't think the spectators or stewards could believe just how well both of us coped with the course and dealt with some slopes others were struggling with.

I came looking for you - but assumed you might have quit while you were still able to :-) (I'd probably have done the same). I had a bit of lunch - removed the broken step and then went round again and actually completed the last section through the 'hard' route to quite a few cheers from the bank.

Biggest disappointment (understandably though) is the limited spectator viewing - apart from some video clips from inside the car - I've got nothing from the outside to show how extreme this got and how well it dealt with it - and there wasn't anyone else filming either.
I'll check with Simon after the weekend and see if there are any club members that have got any clips they could share.

SO - amazingly impressive again - never got stuck - completed some sections that others were going round - and amongst a sea of Land Rovers got some serious respect I think for Volvo - well done chaps brilliant. Sorry I missed you would have been good to chat.

Now to give FRF a call and order another Side Step bracket - oh dear...

I'll see if I can get a link up to the video clips I've got - give me a few days.

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 13:50   #15
sumomeister

Ian,

Sorry we missed you, we didn't hang around for that long after we left the course. Sorted out the step and stuff, and did another lap of the stalls, then headed off to save a fortune by getting lunch in the nearest McDonalds rather than getting stuff there, pricey !!

Look forward to seeing any pics/videos you managed to get, I had plans to take some, but was too busy trying not to get stuck

Wish I'd seen you go through the end bit though, that looked good, but I'd bottled it by then.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 18:46   #16
ianu
Premier Member

Hi all - if this works - you should be able to view 3 video clips from inside the car as we went round some parts of the course. Sumomeister - you'll here from the audio the marshalls already commenting on your performance.
I've actually got an aluminium plate under the front - not a steel one ??

Forgive my sons film skills - I'll go better prepared next time and strap something to the roof I think ...

http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishu...ME=snapfishuk/

I'll check this works myself - if it does enjoy - if not - standby.

cheers
Ian.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 19:00   #17
ianu
Premier Member

..can someone let me know if they can see these please - I can but I have an account so it lets me in anyway ?

Cheers
Ian.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 19:05   #18
gillberry
VOC Member

Just tried to view and without an account nothing except the pic of the back of a landie . Aside from that its great to know the xc90 although not a proper offroader can to an extent go offroad .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 19:14   #19
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
Just tried to view and without an account nothing except the pic of the back of a landie . Aside from that its great to know the xc90 although not a proper offroader can to an extent go offroad .
Thanks - I'll try a different link later. Watch this space. Honestly I think you could safely say it's very nearly a proper off roader :-)

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 21:13   #20
sumomeister

Guys,

Can't take credit for these, they're not mine, but found the link on Facebook.

http://www.freewebs.com/dudleydo/apps/photos/

My car's not there

There are a couple of an XC90, is that you Ian?

http://www.freewebs.com/dudleydo/app...toid=100196054

http://www.freewebs.com/dudleydo/app...toid=100195929

Last edited by sumomeister; Sep 27th, 2010 at 00:03.
The Following User Says Thank You to sumomeister For This Useful Post: