Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A 240 dilemma: time to do some sums

Views : 2183

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2022, 18:57   #11
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

The V70 doesn't appeal to me, I'm afraid. I'm just not so keen on fwd when it comes to workhorses. I can't explain why, of course!

-------------------------
A great all-rounder
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 21:02   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
The V70 doesn't appeal to me, I'm afraid. I'm just not so keen on fwd when it comes to workhorses. I can't explain why, of course!
That is exactly how we felt, 'W.S.'. We were dyed in the wool RWD fans after owning 1, 2, 3, 7 and 9 series cars over a period of 32 years. We spent some time looking for a nice 965 or V90 (we fancied a 6 pot) without success. We found the V70 on one of our searches and decided to give it a try.

Believe it or not, it does grow on you. The main differences between it and your 245 are the turning circle (measured between towns as opposed to kerbs) and the split-fold rear seat. The latter makes the car so much more versatile you'll wonder how you managed without it!

Regards, John.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 22:17   #13
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
We found the V70 on one of our searches and decided to give it a try.

Believe it or not, it does grow on you. The main differences between it and your 245 are the turning circle (measured between towns as opposed to kerbs) and the split-fold rear seat. The latter makes the car so much more versatile you'll wonder how you managed without it!

Regards, John.

Useful input, John. Thanks.

I've nothing against fwd per se. We've been driving Hondas for years and I was impressed by a friend's S60 a while back. I think it might be more about the aesthetics and how Volvo started to drift towards the bland mainstream from about the time they introduced S, V and C models.

A great all-rounder
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 09:26   #14
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Useful input, John. Thanks.

I've nothing against fwd per se. We've been driving Hondas for years and I was impressed by a friend's S60 a while back. I think it might be more about the aesthetics and how Volvo started to drift towards the bland mainstream from about the time they introduced S, V and C models.
I suppose the aesthetics are bound to drift, as you say. Ask a computer and a wind tunnel to design a car, it’s hardly surprising they spew out similarities.

I will say this WS, my ‘04 , V70 , D5 was the best Volvo, of all the eleven I’ve had!👍
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 10:14   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
My apology WS, I wasn't trying to tell you what to do. I'd just noticed how cheap V70 estates sell for and remembered how highly John thought of his - put 2 and 2 together and came up with something unsuitable for you.

They do seem to be very cheap indeed compared to 240s (and even compared with 740s). This 15 year old estate with 135,000 miles and 8 month's MoT is only at £670 (with a day of the auction to go):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275575567065

... if it sells for anything under a grand it will be cheap - a similar mileage/condition 240 might be £2,500.

Old Dec 17th, 2022, 12:07   #16
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
My apology WS, I wasn't trying to tell you what to do. I'd just noticed how cheap V70 estates sell for and remembered how highly John thought of his - put 2 and 2 together and came up with something unsuitable for you.

They do seem to be very cheap indeed compared to 240s (and even compared with 740s). This 15 year old estate with 135,000 miles and 8 month's MoT is only at £670 (with a day of the auction to go):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275575567065

... if it sells for anything under a grand it will be cheap - a similar mileage/condition 240 might be £2,500.

That is indeed so, Alan. If you recall, I paid £550 for my then 16 y.o. V70 six years ago. That was from a dealer with 118k and slightly less MOT remaining.

Your comparison with 2 and 745s is interesting. I have bought examples of both in period for a few hundred pounds. Not that I regard the V70 as any kind of investment, but it might be interesting to know what it might sell for in 2030 if maintained in it's present condition.

Even longer ago, I once rejected a 15 y.o. one owner 123GT priced at £300 because of very slight rust in the front wings. What price that today?

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Regards, John.
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 13:27   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
That is indeed so, Alan. If you recall, I paid £550 for my then 16 y.o. V70 six years ago. That was from a dealer with 118k and slightly less MOT remaining.

Your comparison with 2 and 745s is interesting. I have bought examples of both in period for a few hundred pounds. Not that I regard the V70 as any kind of investment, but it might be interesting to know what it might sell for in 2030 if maintained in it's present condition.

Even longer ago, I once rejected a 15 y.o. one owner 123GT priced at £300 because of very slight rust in the front wings. What price that today?

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Regards, John.
I’ve just noticed that V70 (in the link) has a 255 HP (out of the box) turbocharged motor. That would be quite exciting compared to a typical 240. If that goes for under a grand it will be a bargain indeed .

:-)
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 16:34   #18
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Othen: My apology WS, I wasn't trying to tell you what to do. I'd just noticed how cheap V70 estates sell for

No apology necessary! After all,the purpose of my original post was to gather different points of view on a topic many of us have had to consider.

As to V70s: my son agrees with you. He has had three Volvos and he preferred his V70 to both his 940 and 850.

[I still don't know why my Quote button works only now and again.]

A great all-rounder
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 17:57   #19
CosmicBike

I find the easiest thing is to have both a 240 and a V70, with the Torslanda being a leisurely load lugger and the V70R a considerably quicker one!
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 19:55   #20
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I would also agree with the above:~
Two owned here an '88 240 GL with a little over 85'000 & a V70 1997 with 66'000 miles.
Both are excellent cars in many ways but very different: The 240 is quite basic in technology although fuel injected- haven't found anything that cannot be repaired on a DIY basis and at very reasonable costs.

The V70 although 25 years old now is very much a modern car in terms of engine and capabilities when compared with modern biscuit tins: A little more complicated I suppose in technology but not beyond the average home mechanic in many respects- servicing is easy and again parts are reasonable,
with the bonus that main dealers can be avoided.

Both cars are equipped with many extras for the time but not the silly things that will probably fail costing far too much to repair or more likely just replaced.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post: