Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 clutch bleeding

Views : 5688

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2011, 07:35   #11
rugchucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
It might be that the slave cylinder wasn't the original problem. If other parts fail the result can be that the slave cylinder innerds are able to pop out of the cylinder itself. Take care if pressing the clutch in case it happens again.
One thing I can think of is that the clutch arm pivot can wear or break the nylon cup it sits in, this allows things to move about and will prevent the clutch operating.
I'm Robs neighbour and I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

Des
rugchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rugchucker For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 21:15   #12
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Hi
How are you getting on with the car ? I left a message on your phone earlier. I haven't tried again as I have been busy most of the day on and off.
Hopefully you have managed to work out whats up with it, let me know if I can help furthur.

Steve.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 22:08   #13
themouseiswet

Hi Steve,

The car is sitting in a garage on Walworth Ind. Est. as I write... long day, sad story!

It might be that the slave cylinder wasn't the original problem. If other parts fail the result can be that the slave cylinder innerds are able to pop out of the cylinder itself. Take care if pressing the clutch in case it happens again.

Anyway, the pros are going to have a look at it. Uncle Des gave me a tow up there at lunchtime. It appears likely that the clutch plate has more than likely expired (they'll let me know once they get stuck in). This may have caused excessive travel on the pushrod which in turn blew the seals in the old slave cylinder.

I will post the post mortem on here as soon as I've been updated...

Many thanks for your advice Steve, you're a handy guy to consult/know!

There's no answering service on my mobile by the way so I didn't get your message.

Take care good fellow!
themouseiswet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 22:23   #14
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Sorry to hear it's a bit more involved than just a couple of smallish bits.
I would have offered to lend a hand but have tweaked my already dodgy back a bit today. Hopefully it will get done quick and at least you won't have to roll about on the floor doing it.

Someone else on here was having clutch or gearbox problems and I thought it might be the clutch plate on their car.

I left a message on someones phone, I will probably get a phone call from someone asking what on earth I was on about !
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 23:06   #15
mag 940

Question im having similar trouble

Hi all I had a similar thing happen to me in my 93 940 estate last evening..
I checked the slave and seem to blown the seel.
Managed to get s new one from my friendly local parts shop and after loads of struggling to get the old one off I fitted the new slave and tried to bleed it for ages but there's no pressure to the peddle at all .
Should I take it back off the mounting and raise it above the fluid chamber before trying again ? I would be greatfull of any help
mag 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 09:08   #16
Husqyman

Hello all
My 940 had a similar problem when I got it back in Dec the clutch worked ok but the brake master cyl level warning would come on about every 10 days (brakes were OK, and I found the clutch master cyl takes its fluid from the brake reservoir, some models vary I believe)) so when I pulled back the rubber boot on the clutch slave cyl sure enough there was brake fluid leaking(a reciept in the docs for a new slave cyl the previous year)
When I removed the circlip the slave cyl shot out leaving the boot/pushrod/piston and spring on the floor, fitted the new cyl & bled it using a vac bleeder and still couldnt get a clutch!!!! so when my son got home from work bled it again using the assistant method still the same, had another look and the pushrod only moving about 1/4" then piston was up against the circlip (so what felt like no clutch was the cyl using up all its travel with no resistance) the pushrod was in good nick with no damage to the plastic mushroom, the clutch was OK & the operating arm looked OK. much head scratching and going through clutch problems on this site, I found a similar thread with the same solution. I think it is a combination of wear in all the clutch operating parts that stop the cyl operating the clutch properly. Solution (massive bodge I know) I made up a 18mm longer pushrod from an m13 allen headed bolt from my odds and sods box (i bought an old school lathe for the man cave 18 months ago) now I have a perfect clutch. I have kept the original pushrod & when the clutch needs to be done I will renew the operating arm/pivot etc when everything is split. So the original problem was the slave cyl piston travelling to far and leaking past the seal, the cyl fitted had nothing to stop the piston pumping out, (which is quite normal Im told) the GSF replacement has a circlip holding the insides inside.
Hence the other post about taking care as it is possible to pump the piston out and get stranded with no clutch.
Kev W

Last edited by Husqyman; Apr 9th, 2013 at 11:00.
Husqyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Husqyman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 12:33   #17
mag 940

Lightbulb

Thanks huskqyman
I don't think it's the length of the push rod with my old girl but it is a good tip
It's just trying to get the pressure there ... If all else fails I shall try that one :-)
. Just doing on my own so hard to know if there's any travel at all
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 13:55   #18
Husqyman

mag 940
It does like there is no pressure at all, what I took for the pedal hitting the floor was the pedal actually stopping cos the slave cyl piston had reached the end of its travel (pedal all but dammit on the floor) winessed by myself when I got my son to press the pedal and when it reached the end of its travel you could see the flexi hose move with the pressure.But before that It had me so covinced it wasnt bled properly that I even tried the what I do with my bikes, and used a large syringe with some flexi hose attached and filled it from the bottom up and I still thought it hadnt bled properly.
Kev
Husqyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husqyman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 12:17   #19
mag 940

Smile clutch bleeding

Thanks for that Kev .
I ended up doing similar to you . Dad popped over and was pumping the peddle and there was next to no movement !
I found some pipe and an old pump oil can and pushed the fluid through from the bleed valve. It seems to of done the job touch wood;-) ... As matter of fact it's bite is alot better than its been for a year or more so really pleased .
Thanks for the good advice.
Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to mag 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 21:04   #20
barking mat

Default Volvo 940 clutch hydraulics issue.

Good evening folks and HELP please. Firstly I consider myself a relatively competent mechanic, but am stuck. Wifie and I have two diesel 940's from 95 or 96, hers has 570 thousand km's and the engine was drinking too much oil, so pulled out engine and gearbox, spare engine had the 4 and overdrive, she wanted her 5 speed box, split the box and engine and the first thing which happened was the slave cylinder popped itself apart and then I noticed the clutch was next to dead. So ordered a new complete clutch kit, put it all together, reassembled the slave cylinder, Bish, Bosch, bang, unable to operate the clutch with engine running, read through all the tips for bleeding up the hydraulic clutch on this and other sites, ordered new slave cylinder, same problem, ok assume seals in master cylinder, changed all that, still same problem. I am pretty sure the hydraulics are suitably bled up but still not going into gear. Two queries.....
The original slave cylinder did not have a circlip preventing it from popping out the new slave cylinders do, when my assistant applies pressure to clutch pedal the slave cylinder is at the maximum extent of its travel, and still not actuating the clutch, I can only assume this circlip is meant to be left in place?
Second query in the above thread some kind soul had a similar problem and added 18mm to the rod coming out of the slave cylinder which solved his problem, I am coming to the conclusion this is what I need to do? But can't understand why as it all worked before just fine and the only difference I can find is this circlip in the slave cylinder. Having said all this is it possible due to the new clutch being fitted does it need more travel, I've done a few clutches before and never had this problem.....Any thoughts please....I love 940s but this is starting to do my head in and I don't do garages especially Volvo ones. Thanks in advance. Mat
barking mat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
940, bleeding, clutch problems