Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvo and seeking S80 / V70 / XC70 advise please

Views : 1006

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2022, 15:29   #11
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirynx View Post
Yes, I agree, and it's where my instincts are primarily pointing me, with just slight deviation towards the other options.

I suspect you are are absolutely correct on no EU6 V70 D5. On paper, the VEA D4 is the 'right' car for me - it's really only the engine oil consumption issue that's holding me back, along with reports I'm reading about the EGR valve and cooler. I guess these are 'first adopter' issues :-)

It would be interesting to know if there was any consensus on the contributory causes, such as type of driving / usage, type of oil used or even the quality of fuel - I'm reading that the VEA D4 is particularly sensitive to both of the latter, the fuel type being impossible to determine retrospectively, for a secondhand purchase.

Briefly, yes, although that would take the purchase beyond the upper end of budget. Also, from a cursory look at the newer V60 (and V90) the central console appears to be very screen-based. I'm old school and prefer buttons, switches and knobs rather than endless scrolling.

This might provide some objectivity to that particular issue. I'll enquire at a Volvo dealership but won't hold my breath for them being too candid on the issue!

Thanks for your thoughts.
Regarding oil consumption, my V70 averaged over 30k miles a year before I bought it and I don't believe it was filled up with supermarket diesel. Since I bought it, it has largely been used for longer journeys and is still on a good diet. Those might be factors.

Also, driving style might influence things. My understanding is that too much tootling on a gentle throttle won't help. If I'd personally wanted that, however, then I'd have bought a D2.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 21:57   #12
Zirynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Regarding V60s, I was referring to the older shape, which was built on the same platform as the V70. These were sold up until 2018 and offer the old-school style of controls that you prefer. In fact, the controls are exactly the same as those on the V70.

It's also worth noting that the D4 VEA engine offers slightly better performance in the V60 but is no less refined than in the V70.
Thanks for clarifying - I hadn't read it that way and wasn't aware of the overlap between the outgoing V60 and the updated VEA D4. I'd been under the impression that the 'new' V60 started earlier than it did. I shall indeed broaden my search, especially being mindful of the 'slightly better' performance factor of the VEA D4 in the V60 :-)

Quote:
Regarding EGR etc., any car that you buy ought to have been sorted. If not, then, subject to age and mileage, the right Volvo main dealer might get any required repair paid for by Volvo. This happened to me with my V70 less than 18 months ago, despite in being a high mileage 64-reg car.
I wonder if there is any way to make inquiries of any Volvo database on the matter, that might have recorded VINs that have been attended to. I feel a main dealer visit and chat in the offing.
Zirynx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zirynx For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 21:28   #13
Ant B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirynx View Post
And as a wildcard, does anyone drive a manual D5? I'd be interested to hear about that!
Yes, I've had my manual V70 D5 for 6+ years now (couldn't find an auto V70 D5 in R-Design spec within my budget so after a month or two looking I just went for a manual that came up for a very good price instead of holding out for a geartronic).

Manual gives slightly better mpg and if your mileage is motorway it works just as well as an auto, unless you're stuck in traffic. Mine is mostly used for a 400-mile commute (Manchester > Feltham or Reading and back), it generally stays in 6th gear for the majority of the journey, it's only when running the kids around at the weekend I sometimes think an auto would be easier, but the manual isn't a chore at all.

That said, the V70 (and I'd imagine XC70 and S80) is a pretty 'soft' car all-round, so don't think a manual box will turn it into a sportier drive - it's still a sloppy, comfortable, wallowing barge of a car, the auto will probably suit it better...
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 08:26   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I think it’s worth adding that the M66 manual gearbox fitted to the v70 D5 has a lovely light gear change, and the clutches are generally very light unlike some of the Ford/Mazda derived transplants in the earlier (petrol) V60’s.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 09:25   #15
apersson850
Premier Member

The torque converter in the automatic box comes in handy when starting my XC70 on uneven ground with a heavy trailer on the hitch.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 16:40   #16
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant B View Post
That said, the V70 (and I'd imagine XC70 and S80) is a pretty 'soft' car all-round, so don't think a manual box will turn it into a sportier drive - it's still a sloppy, comfortable, wallowing barge of a car, the auto will probably suit it better...
My S80 V8 is no slouch but it is very comfortable to drive; although I still find my '95 960 estate feels more planted with RWD as opposed to AWD, but I do know the S80 corners faster it just feels less planted even if it isn't?
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote