Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Engine write off due to Aux Belt/Timing Belt Failure

Views : 9104

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2016, 09:29   #11
pacman67
VOC Member

Mine is also a 2010 D5, whilst in the dealers recently I asked if it had had a tensioner done as a recall. It was done in 2012 with a modified version. Obviously that's getting on for four years ago and around 40k. I wonder when that's due again ?
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacman67 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 19:35   #12
RM955I
Premier Member

Had my belt, tensioners, idlers aux belts etc done today...a job I could have done myself but it's winter and I had to get it done pronto as it's 4k overdue.

I asked them to check the alternator free wheel which was all OK. Cost was £180 for parts from Rufe and £250 labour. In essence I could have done the whole job myself for £180 and a Saturday morning if I wasn't in a rush to get it done.

Of course, none of this escapes the fact that a proper guard, retrofit or not, would give peace of mind. I'm genuinely surprised there's nothing on the market. As it is, I'll be keeping a close eye on things - regular under bonnet checks should alert me if anything is amiss between services.
Old Feb 7th, 2016, 16:33   #13
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Keswickian View Post
I have a 2010 XC70 D5 which is without doubt the best car I've ever had and until this week drove like new. I've always serviced it at a main dealer and adhered to the schedule. It was last serviced at 90k and due another at 108k when the belts were due for replacement.
This week the aux belt tensioner failed on the motorway at 105,000 miles wrapping the aux belt around the timing belt and trashing the engine completely.
The dealers have quoted repair over £9k for a new engine and offered a "contribution" from them and Volvo of just over £2k leaving me with a bill for £6,800 which is approx the value of the car.
Help needed. Has anybody got experience of trying to claim back the costs from Volvo and/or the servicing dealer?
Yes I have, you have no hope of getting any money out of them. Second hand engine, I tried a head fix job on my D5, place down in Cornwall is doing them, 850 quid just for the head, with me doing all the labour.

I had to replace a cam to as that had bent, £300.

A year later the oil pump failed and the engine was lost, was it related I dont know.

Thing like this are bad design, someone should be horse whipped.
DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles

Last edited by DieselDoNicely; Feb 7th, 2016 at 16:37.
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 13:34   #14
sssxw23

Exclamation

I sympathise with all of you who have had similar issues with almost insulting responses and offers of help from Volvo UK - 2weeks ago I was advised my 2011 XC60 D5 AWD 126k required a warranty check on the Hydraulic tensioner, was booked in for today, but last Tuesday the aux belt shredded and disrupted my CAM belt. initially not being at all knowledgeable didn't realise they were related as when I phoned my local Volvo service centre they advised would be circa £160 to have aux belt replaced. was only when I understood the connection that I kicked up and they agreed would all be covered under the warranty Check. However the bad news came after they did this work last Thursday when they phoned to say engine is miss firing after the work - options £500 to remove head take a look only???? or replacement engine!!!!! I immediately phoned Volvo Customer Relations who took info and said would liaise with my local dealership - I was told over £9k for new engine and replacement clutch, Volvo would offer a good will gesture of 15% - total £8.5k (discount applied to engine work only.....) I phoned Volvo Customer Relations back who advised would not offer any more as the last two services were not done at an approved Volvo dealership- even though was religiously serviced at Volvo up to and including the 108k mile CAM belt service - now had it removed from Volvo to a local garage to fault the engine...fingers crossed will update when I know more....
I am happy to know though that "Old Keswickian" had a full Volvo history and was offered no more help than me...as I was kicking myself for not paying the extra to Volvo for servicing!!!!

Last edited by sssxw23; Feb 9th, 2016 at 15:39.
sssxw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 13:43   #15
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Here is another reason not to buy a Forvo.

Anyway, the car is 6 years old, first thing to do is get it out of the main dealer and get it to a good independent. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get that car back on the road for around £2.5k.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-XC90...gAAOSwLN5WihV-

Just a quick ebay search. I see Hudderfield Volvo have one for £1795, a phone might get you the same deal.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 13:44   #16
tt82
Forum Support Team

sssxw23 do you mind if I ask a few questions?

Who advised you of the warranty check on the hydraulic tensioner?

Had the cambelt and aux belts and tensioners been changed at the correct intervals?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 15:13   #17
sssxw23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
sssxw23 do you mind if I ask a few questions?

Who advised you of the warranty check on the hydraulic tensioner?

Had the cambelt and aux belts and tensioners been changed at the correct intervals?
my local Volvo dealer advised me 2 weeks ago about the tension , yes all belts changed at Volvo dealer only 18k miles ago.
sssxw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 15:17   #18
tiredted
I've Been Banned

Seems this is a common failing despite some people insisting that it doesn't happen ...
tiredted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 15:48   #19
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

This is down to the Ford involvement, I had a Fiesta years ago, the clutch slave cylinder went when it was 14 months old and Ford wouldn't cover it despite the fact it had better than recommended servicing and genuine parts used, but not at a Ford dealer.

Forgot about getting in touch with Volvo UK, the HQ very rarely do anything when the dealer calls, but when the customer raises a stink it tends to carry some weight. Might be worth a shot.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 16:34   #20
spyboy

Oh dear what a sorry tale. I came to Volvo after having a terrible time with Audi over an A4 Avant Quattro which eventually I got rid for an XC70 2011 MY with Polestar, now 45k on the clock with full dealer service.
Until I read this thread I thought the V70/XC70 were pretty much faultless as long as you kept to the service intervals. I love the car btw
Was I wrong?
spyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belt, timing, xc70