Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warranty deals - worthwhile?

Views : 972

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:47   #11
neil stevenson

Remember: insurance companies are all likely to make you pregnant... well, that's what happens when you get shafted, innit?! (BTW thanks to Jeremy Clarkson for that one-liner )

Pete[/QUOTE]

Even if they do make you pregnant, just remember they can't make you love it.
neil stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:06   #12
peteS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil stevenson
Even if they do make you pregnant, just remember they can't make you love it.

BTW when referring to warranties I was thinking of the independant "warranty direct" / "Rac warranty" ones. Buying an extended manufacturer's warranty from volvo is another kettle of fish IMO, and I would think could be worthwhile if it is basically the same as the 3 year/60kmiles type standard warranty. With my previous car (owned from new) I was able to take it in under warranty and have them investigate faults, even if "NFF, mate" for nothing.

As for RAC inspections... well my car had an RAC inspection done but it didn't seem to bother inspecting much again IMHO! I think it is better to do the inspection yourself, I always have in the past and wish I had this time too. For example, Mr. RAC will say "yep, throttle works, makes engine go" wheras I felt the cable was stiff and notchy and a new cable made things a lot better.

If buying from a dealer who has "all my vehicles inspected by RAC", I do also wonder if the dealer and the RAC inspection guy are "working together"? i.e RAC ignores a couple of minor faults they can get away with, and dealer gives them more business. Now this is just a hunch from my own, very limited experience, and of course it could never be proved: and obviously this wouldn't be the case for any major faults. But it seems a bit weird to me that the only faults the RAC guy picked up on my car where the blindingly obvious ones like "aerial broken" and "big scratch down side" (which were all resolved by selling dealer).

My advice to you punters out there is to either find out a bit of stuff and do the inspection yourself, or take a mate who knows about cars for an opinion. Mr. RAC doesn't give a monkeys about how your car will be to drive for years to come, you and/or your friends will do. Mr. RAC will also probably charge you several hundred pounds, I would hope your mechanically minded friend would do the work for a couple of pints!

This is all just my opinion though, please be clear about that.

Cheers, Pete
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 15:20   #13
homer timpson

Just realised I forgot to thank everyone for their input - sorry.

I've decided to hold back on the warranty - seems the popular conscensus.

Homer
homer timpson is offline   Reply With Quote