Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is a 'set up' ?

Views : 1964

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:55   #11
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: What is a 'set up' ?

I wouldn't have trusted myself to try to get an auto box into neutral at 6000 rpm especially as you may have to go through the reverse gate first.....

Yikes! :-)

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 17:09   #12
Adrian

Sorry to but in but my box goes Low-2-Drive-Neutral-Reverse-Park

Unless I bought a dud, then yours will do the same. So how the **ck do u go through reverse to get into Neutral?

Anyway, here's a better question:

WHat is the point of being able to quote bhp? Surely u r only interesrted in how the car drives and that is a factor that u cant put a figure on. Mine is fast enough for me, sometimes too fast for the tyres and often too fast for the prevailing limit.

THese flying coffins are okay but lets not get all anoracky about the numbers.

Simply put, they are bloody quick. end of story. Jim has seen me drive and I may not have the fastest engine but, Jim, how may T5/Rs or whatever do you think would beat me to the chippy when I'm hungry over the back roads with "limited" passing opportunities?

I rest my case.

Loz

ps. hard day at the office so please dont take offence. If you want to race for V5s then contact me directly. I could use the practice and it would give me a reason to change the brake pads to ones that don't squeak.

pps. OOOOOOHHH the irrisponsible voice of the "bad" Volvo element!

850 T5 CD Auto - The Devil's Playgound }>
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 20:08   #13
Andy
Master Member

Could I just pull this topic back onto course for a second?;-)

OK.

258Bhp at P.E.- is that at the wheels?

If the standard manual R is 250bhp, is that at the flywheel?

What I'm getting at, firmly pulling up the zip on my 70's Volvo anorak ;-), is I must be running considerably more than standard to get 258bhp at the wheels.

Am I right?

Again, what would a 'set up' at P.E. involve? (or maybe I could just call them)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 20:31   #14
brainsaw

sorry... thread stealing again!

PE gave flywheel figures for manuals... so 258 will be flywheel.... considering my S70 is 183 at the wheels that will be pretty much the same for a standard 855R...

I thought they were 240 as standard tho... so you are 18bhp up.

a set-up will involve fiddling of certain screws and maybe hooking up a PC to fiddle with chip settings and several dyno runs until it produces the most power.... call 'em and they will be able to tell ya in more detail.

HTH, Andy.
Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 21:33   #15
noiseboy
VOC Member

Ive been ill the last couple of days so not really following the forum......

The reasons stated for wheel only figures for the autos are correct. Knocking an auto into N at 6000RPM does a lot of damage to the torque convertor, and so they cant get "negative" reading which is what provides the flywheel figure.

To provide some useful comparisons:....

Alex (V70 T5) - 203HP at Wheels
Tony (S60 T5) - 152HP at Wheels
Andy (S70 T5) - 183HP at Wheels
Jim (850R) - 173HP at Wheels
Me (850 T5R) - 214HP at Wheels

Andy - it sounds like you could do with having some work done to optimise what mods you have.

For example, when I first took my T5R to P.E., although it had a cat-back exhaust and a bleed valve it was 25HP down on standard...... It is now back where it should be, with a bit more work being done next week it should be wicked! They are going to uprate my Turbo Actuator, and sort fueling and timing to accomodate.

The main thing to remember when looking at figures, is that HP is not nescessarily a guide to how quickly a car will go, or how drivable it will be. Also - Power Engineering subscribe to a theory of "safe & responsible" mods. They will only give you as much power as they believe will not blow your car up - kinda a good idea in my opinion.

Several of the peeps who attended that day are going back for work to be done to improve their cars - including me. Bottom line, is it does seem to be well worth it.

Hope that helps,

Phil :-)

www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2002, 00:05   #16
a15htn

Phil...I beleive I got 178... cant remember - did a 330 ci on the way home to celebrate (but couldn't catch a certain saffron C70 - I had a bloody good go though - You Know Who You Are !!!!)

I asked the guys to make sure she was runnin right & happy for the impending trip to France, it is and quick too :) .... the fact that its almost standard made me very happy and the sum total of its mods are just a shade over £60 :)

Although it could be time for a twin turbo nissan stagea nismo (no it ain't a video game!) or maybe a skyline gtr soon }> ..... and a range rover for the luggage ;)

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:21   #17
noiseboy
VOC Member

Jim,

Could you confirm the figure for me from your graph.

I was working down the ever-so-slighly illegible list and could have easily mistaken a 3 and an 8.

I wanna get the figures right on t5r.org.

Thanks Mate!

www.t5r.org
Old Jul 4th, 2002, 11:55   #18
gareth

Sorry to but in hear but...

We are having a similar chat on the www.bm3w.co.uk forums..

They belive over on the other side of the hedge that it is impossiple to give a true flywheel reading and that even the wheels fiqures the PE give out cannot be trusted.

At the only it is to be used as a guideline.

If you want to see the real power lets get everyone togther on an airfield and race!!!

Or get a proffensial person to drive your car (To minimise driver error) and time each car... Sorted.

The other thing you have to remember is that all cars are differnt.

Like the myth goes.. better to have the Monday car over the Friday Car....

Gareth
Old Jul 4th, 2002, 15:57   #19
tporteruk

I was at the RR day on Saturday and made 244bhp and 275lb/ft torque in a T4 - bad news was that PE told me it was running way too lean - chip wasn't doing what it was supposed to. I went back today and I am now fuelling at a far healthier 7% and even better can now run at 1.25bar boost all of the time - not just on the odd occassion! Torque curve is stronger still and peaked at 276lb'ft - not bad for a T4 which is about 350 kilos lighter than the 5's!

I recommend using PE for a set up - money well spent and less charge of melting something expensive!
Old Jul 4th, 2002, 16:04   #20
noiseboy
VOC Member

Gareth,

I think that everyone agrees (as I posted) that HP is not the end of the argument.

Lots of factors come together to make a car perform or not.... The main use of a rolling road is to examine fueling/timing and boost settings in a controlled environment.

When you go to P.E. or talk to Dave at London Superchips about a setup, they will tell you what they told me, that rollers are good for an initial set-up but they will want you to drive the car too to tweak stuff.

Don has suggested that we might think about a day at Bruntingthorpe to prove the pudding in the eating..... any takers for later in the year??

www.t5r.org