Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ok i want ur storys of volvo tuffness

Views : 3621

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 19:51   #11
scubamike

My wife has taken out one of those indestructable anti vehicle bollards with my V70. OK so she managed to knock it over, complete with it's concrete base so I think it might have been more impressive if she had bent the thing or broken it rather than ripping it out of the ground!
That's the second patch on the bumper that needs a paint touch-in.
All I can say is that it was a good job I didn't get the bumper paintwork touched in after she demolished our front garden wall! It took me hours with a sledge hammer to break the darn thing up to clear it away afterwards. I mean the wall,not the V70.
Anyone noticed how smug V70's can look after they've done a bit of damage?

Wonder if it easy enough to replace the outerskin of the rear bumper? Just thinking, one for best and one for the wife to do her thing with!
Why doesn't she do it with our beaten up metro?
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:19   #12
dan_burdock

Talking

I dropped a fridge freezer on the passenger wing of my 850T5R a couple of weeks ago, as me and my wife tried to lift over the front end of the car, rather than move it!!! made a slight scratch, but no dent! I was amazed had to clean the the wing just to make sure, a bit of touch up paint and its gone.
Push iron fell over on to my 60's beetle, dented wing in two places!!!!
dan_burdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 15:28   #13
Triang

I've mentioned it before - but it's worth adding to the list.

Pulled in a bit sharpely to avoid a Transit van that was bearing down on me.

*Bang*!!!

Looked in mirror, my bumper had torn the bumper off an LTI London Taxi.

Cost to repair = £480

Cost to repair Volvo - £0 .

Not even a scratch.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 21:08   #14
Baz S40

Used to be in the Motor Trade (Panelbeater/sprayer for a small independant garage/service station)....We had a customer with a D-Reg 340 who just COULD NOT drive to save his life....He would regularly make contact with other road users, or the scenery, with varying degrees of severity, his clutch control was atrocious (You could usually smell that it was him on the forecourt before You saw him) and he wore the sidewalls of the tyres out before the tread was even half worn....

Aside from clutches (his own fault), and occasional steering alignment (his own fault), I don't ever recall that car letting him down....It always looked immaculate too, coz it had usually just been repaired & valeted!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 21:42   #15
222s
Amazoniste

Another one....

A guy I was at school with managed to drive his parents' 855 through a dry stone wall, as a result of trying to go round a corner too fast in the wet. The car ended up with the front doors level with where the wall had been, & the front of the car hanging in thin air as there was a drop the other side of the wall. Ok, it was a write-off, since the front end was mangled, but the passenger compartment was completely undamaged (including the windscreen) and both front doors opened fully - yes, whilst the car was in situ!

His only injury (other than pride & those inflicted by irate parents) was a grazed nose & chin from the airbag. The front seat passenger (who didn't have an airbag) was totally unharmed and is quoted as saying "Hey man, that was cool - can we try it again?"

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:39   #16
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

My pick-up was the survivor of an amazing incident. The car was parked on a hill in 1988 (before it became a pick-up) with two children inside. One was my son Dai (Classic Swede) who was just six and another who shall be nameless (not mine). This little ***** let off the handbrake. The car hurtled down the steep hill missed and electric box and electric pole by inches either side. It flew through the wall and down a steep drop into the harbour below where it toppled off a wall onto its side.
The firebrigade arrived to clean up the mess and right the car whichwe towed home. Repairs consisted replacing lost fluids, new engine and gearbox mounts, secondhand bumper, bonnet, front panel, o/s front wingand two doors. The B pillar needed jacking out slightly and replacement sill fitted as that part had landed on a large boulder.
Oh! Nearly forgot - damage to the kids? - no physical injury but I think Dai's never been the same since - he's been Volvo mad ever since!
Every one was amazed at how little damage there was and really how lucky the kids were.
That is really the story of how it became the candidate for conversion to a pick-up. Dai's elder brother Matt (then 11) decided it was worth attacking it with a grinder - the result is below.
Mike

Last edited by Mike_Brace; Mar 15th, 2006 at 11:42.
Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:21   #17
barrie013

Not really as severe as other posts, but I was walking back to my 144 which was parked in a multi-storey, and the lady in the next bay pulled out and turned wat too early. For some unknown reason, after caving in her front wing on my front bumper rubber, she continued to cave in both doors and a few inches of her rear wing. By this time I had got to my car, and I helped her move her car away from mine. She wanted to exchange insurance details, but as the only damage to my car was a three inch scuff on the bumper rubber, I told her not to worry.
barrie013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 13:14   #18
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

A work colleague of mine decided to pick a volvo 240 estate up in the lake district and drive it back home to his garage , for the resulting scrapping .

the car was a bit fragile and a huge oil leak , but he carried on nevertheless , about halfway home a thud and some mechanical noises ensued to see that the engine had lost no1 con rod thorough the side of the block , so he carried on anyways - until another thud 5 miles from home , then the car dies completely about a mile away from home .

A peek under the bonnet had revealed the only reason the engine stopped was that No2 con rod had appeared through the side of the block and taken the fuel pump of the side of the car , so basically theres a couple of miles left in the float chamber !!!!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 17:52   #19
adieu
Master Member

Default Ah Ha

Rammed by a 4x4 which had been hit by an Alfa.... Picts Below:

Alfa

4x4

Volvo

Wife and Son OK car being fixed as we speak

Regards

Iain

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 22:46   #20
v6en
Master Member

Have any of you read the 'my volvo saved my life' bit in the volvo magazine?

latest one was a guy who was merging into the slow lane as traffic ground to a halt on the motorway in his S40. He said that was the last thing he remembers before waking up in hospital with his family looking down at him.

An articulated lorry had slammed into the back of him doing 50 MPH and he was knocked unconscious. The S40 was pretty much the size of a smart car after that, but the front 'safety cell' had remained intact and all he had to show for it was stitches to his forehead. he said he didn't even have whiplash, and was discharged home after 5 hours lol.

I read elsewhere in the magazine that when they build volvos and crash test them, they then repair the cars and recrash them to ensure that they are just as effective in another accident, how clever!

jacq.
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote