Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

uneven braking

Views : 1225

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:35   #11
Cypher007
Master Member

Default cheers

i did use the silicone that came with the guide pins, but wonder if i used enough. ive already replaced both front hoses with stainless steal goodridge ones, i also replaced both front brake pipes as the connectors were corroded pretty much solid. the problem was there before i replaced everything, though the same tester passed it for two years like that, and i kind of put up with it. thats why im so ****ed off i replaced the old caliper and its still doing it, could there be a fault at the abs unit? the pulling is slight usually under light braking, and not noticble all the time. ive considered taking the car to a different garage to see it itll pass there. ill try your suggestions this weekend. thank you for the vast amount of info hope your hands can take a rest now, until i come back on here anyway. just some more info when i bought the car it seems one caliper had been replaced, the drivers side one, and this is a car with a full volvo service history, so im wondering why volvo only replaced one side?
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 18:10   #12
peteS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher007
this is a car with a full volvo service history, so im wondering why volvo only replaced one side?
Most probably because it is not like pads where you would definitely have a brake pull if replacing just one said, changing only one caliper should not pose a problem but in some cases if the other old one is a bit iffy then it could (possibly) lead to more braking on one than t'other. But you say the problem was there before you changed the caliper.

The brake circuits will be diagonally split I am sure, in which case your problem could be something to do with the master cylinder or braking on the the diagonally opposite (rear) wheel and this is affecting the pressure applied to the front.

I would not expect it is an ABS problem because the ABS modulator should just pass the fluid through if it is not activating.

Pete
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 15:00   #13
Cypher007
Master Member

Default well

ive taken the brake caliper off pushed the piston out as far as i dare, then pushed it back in again using a small bar, seems very stiff. added some copper grease to all the brake pad edges that touch the brace and caliper. so im all ready for a retest on Wednesday.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 16:24   #14
Cypher007
Master Member

Default yellow peril has passed its MOT!!!

finally got the car through its MOT this morning. did notice something which may have affected the previous braking test, the two wheels on the passenger side were down to about 26 psi, why cant anyone fit tyres to these titan rims without them leaking? anyway cheers everyone especially peteS40, you can stop typing now.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 01:16   #15
peteS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher007
anyway cheers everyone especially peteS40, you can stop typing now.

Actually it may have seemed that I had stopped typing, for some reason I don't seem to have "subscribed" to this thread (despite the fact I keep posting on it) so I never know when a new post has been added!

Glad it past MOT, yeah maybe the tyre pressure difference did have an affect because of the nature of the rolling road they test them on. And maybe the last guy was a bit fussy, too!

That caliper being stiff... did you remove the brake reservoir cap first before pushing back? Although they are not air tight, most probably they provide a fair amount of resistance easier if taken off. They are pretty stiff anyway as the fluid has to push back up through a very narrow hose, I've got a caliper re-wind tool which is much easier to use!

Cheers,
Pete
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 19:02   #16
Cypher007
Master Member

Default cheers

was the same guy testing it though