Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tinted Windows

Views : 3224

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:59   #11
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Just to play devils advocate, what difference is there between, say, a Fiat Punto car with blacked out rear screen and rear side windows to a Fiat Punto van.Same driver visibility but different in the eyes of the law. I only used the Fiat as an example but it could apply to many other vehicles.
Chris
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 14:15   #12
migrator
Aye - him again

Yes, Mike, there are two sides to most arguments.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 00:49   #13
brad850r

Yea my 850r used to look so much cooler with the windows tinted in the front and back. But i couln't pass inspection so i had to peel the front off. In the future i might somehow try to get them tinted.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 14:04   #14
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace
Is this really to do with visibility out of the car?? Me thinks Mr Plod wants to be able to id the driver when caught on camera!
i think you've got a point there, this how a tinted & non-tinted window compare on mine (not much i don't think). The reason i wanted them tinting in the first place was to stop people looking in

Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 18:13   #15
imac
Premier Member

I'll be having mine tinted, if I get asked to remove the fronts I will, but my last T5 had tints all round (from new) and I've never been stopped or questioned about them
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 23:37   #16
v70 cymru

Default tints

in looking at ex-police V70 t5's, i found an ex armed responce unit which was heavilly tinted to the rear of the b-piller !
whats good for the goose, is good for the gander etc etc !
v70 cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:32   #17
Bob
Club Director

Quote:
in looking at ex-police V70 t5's, i found an ex armed responce unit which was heavilly tinted to the rear of the b-piller !
whats good for the goose, is good for the gander etc etc !
Good point, but it may be that some emergency response vehicles have exemptions. In this case it would be to hide the special equipment they carry.
Quote:
Just to play devils advocate, what difference is there between, say, a Fiat Punto car with blacked out rear screen and rear side windows to a Fiat Punto van.Same driver visibility but different in the eyes of the law. I only used the Fiat as an example but it could apply to many other vehicles.
If a vehicle is a van by construction and use then these regulations for tints do not apply.

I started this thread after considering doing my car, and spent some time looking into the legal issues. I had also sat in a new XC90 in a show room and the car had what I considered heavy tints. I could not see clearly out of the rear and side windows.

I spoke with someone I know at Volvo and was surprised with the answer that 'the affluent younger customers want them so we provide them'.

I suppose it is a bit of a lottery, you may be unlucky to get stopped, or not. I think at the moment it is a bit like the vehicles that have the blue light in the screen wash jets or small lights behind the grille, etc, there is a lack of clarity in the law and its enforcement.

Bob

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:55   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I cant say having heavy tints restricts visability out. WE had a heavily tintined 260 and that fine for visability, the only time visability was effected is just before dark.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 22:06   #19
stlee74

Cool

I've owned cars with and without tinted windows. I do not know what 'grade' tint has been fitted (although it was done professionally), but I have absolutely no problems with visibility, even when dark and raining. Security wise, it's certainly much harder to see inside, much cooler in the summer, and, yes, I'm much happier knowing my kids are protected! I suppose a clear film avoids the shatter too..

It would be useful to know of where a light meter is available, or where to go to test the ammount of light entering the car..

Does the same apply to sunglasses..??
stlee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 15:21   #20
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee74
It would be useful to know of where a light meter is available, or where to go to test the ammount of light entering the car..
we found most police cars in Cov used to carry them (not sure if they still do) & will test any windows for you if you ask nicely
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote