Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Detailing: ceramic or not ?

Views : 2802

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 10:53   #11
Crockers
Premier Member

Health issues????
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 11:14   #12
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Any of these magic potions could cause distress to skin, and I bet some shouldn't be inhaled to seriously.
My guess, anyway.....but not an issue for me, the most I'm up to is a wash & bit of polish
MikeIOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 11:18   #13
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

A lot of coatings carry within them in some form silicon, in a majority quartz based coatings is the focus on SiO2, now whilst I know that is sand the issue here is that any intake of the particles can lead of course to it crystallising inside you (silicosis).

I am not 100% up on the hybrid forms of coating however there tends to be a focus on polymers (Exo is a Silazane Polymer).

Ultimately in comparison with a wax and certain sealants they are far more dangerous.

Modesta BC-03 (quartz/glass etc. based)

I know for Cquartz Finest/Gyeon Q2 MOHS+ you need a respirator to apply owing to the increased amounts it contains.

In the MSDS you just need to ignore the carrier products which tend to be mineral oils, xylene, IPA etc. etc.

Last edited by Ninja59; Feb 22nd, 2014 at 11:32.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 15:19   #14
Crockers
Premier Member

B*gger that for a game of soldiers. Wash and go for me
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 15:23   #15
Ninja59

Crockers this is only in the application phase mind, it is not be an issue once cured.

However the other downsides of using such coatings will still exist. I don't wish to put people off using them or having them applied but just understand that they are far from perfect. I don't believe personally either that applying C1 under Exo is a real answer as C1 has issues of it's own (this is something many pro's do to boost improvement on the weakness' of Exo mainly in relation to chemical resistance).
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 20:19   #16
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
There are many versions of coatings coming on the market from a number of manufacturers. One thing you MUST be aware of though is the prep for any coatings must be very through. Additionally, if you are picky in that way then you probably need an correction as chances are the car will have some marks (as well as a lot of contamination) from it's travel this goes for even new cars.

An example manufacturer would be Gtechniq, G3 and Williams F1 coating are the same product, Carpro, Carbon Collection, Definitive Wax's offerings and Modesta etc.

Although in honesty very few give warranties for durability so be well aware of the word "up to". The only coating I know of with warranty is Carpro's Cquartz Finest of which gives you that reassurance. Although another very very good but expensive coating is Modesta's offerings (unfortunately these are not with a warranty though (£300 a bottle).

Personally I would stay clear of Gtechniq's current offerings for various reasons...

As for nano coatings having tried them they are not without their own set of issues, the hybrid versions also have their own set of issues (the likes of Gtechniq's Exo).
Gtech rebrands a lot of stuff. C2V2 is Permannon i Think.

My car has the following;

Body; Optimum Polymer Opti Coat 2.0 topped up with FK# 425 after every wash.

Glass; Echelon Clareed. A very good Si2 coating.

Wheels; ArtdeWheel. Another Si2 coating

Plastics; FK# 108AS

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 21:37   #17
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
Gtech rebrands a lot of stuff. C2V2 is Permannon i Think.

My car has the following;

Body; Optimum Polymer Opti Coat 2.0 topped up with FK# 425 after every wash.

Glass; Echelon Clareed. A very good Si2 coating.

Wheels; ArtdeWheel. Another Si2 coating

Plastics; FK# 108AS
Correction Version 1 of C2 was permannon it no longer is. Rob confirmed that version 2 and 3 was not.

And anyway virtually all the coatings from nearly all manufacturers are from Japan or Asia in some description. Modesta is Japan, some gtechniq's coatings are from Japan and Korea.

Opti Coat is a good product but why are you then using a QD after every wash that is a sealant top up product as essentially you are then not protecting the car with the opti coat but 425? Pretty wasteful if you are doing that weekly or bi weekly IMO.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:47   #18
m2srt

Quote:
Correction Version 1 of C2 was permannon it no longer is. Rob confirmed that version 2 and 3 was not.

And anyway virtually all the coatings from nearly all manufacturers are from Japan or Asia in some description. Modesta is Japan, some gtechniq's coatings are from Japan and Korea.

Opti Coat is a good product but why are you then using a QD after every wash that is a sealant top up product as essentially you are then not protecting the car with the opti coat but 425? Pretty wasteful if you are doing that weekly or bi weekly IMO.

#425 is a QD, It's hard to find stuff that will sit on top of OC, Even Swisswax wouldn't stay put. The general consensus is that OC doesn't give that amazing level of beading compared with other sealants so I read on autopia that people found that 425 worked well with it. Reload also works well supposedly

Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:58   #19
Ninja59

Most coatings don't really give the best beading sheeting is a different ball game. However oc is the only one with a difference to the others as it is not quartz based. It does have superb chemical and abrasive resistance though.

I know what 425 is but it is more in the realms of a spray sealant like reload, z6 and z8. Unfortunately since my time in detailing quick detailer has become a bit of catch all for a number of products with varying abilities for example last touch which really does not leave anything like the others mentioned behind.

If oc is that bad then I wonder be considering something like optiseal on top of it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 12:11   #20
m2srt

Quote:
Most coatings don't really give the best beading sheeting is a different ball game. However oc is the only one with a difference to the others as it is not quartz based. It does have superb chemical and abrasive resistance though.

I know what 425 is but it is more in the realms of a spray sealant like reload, z6 and z8. Unfortunately since my time in detailing quick detailer has become a bit of catch all for a number of products with varying abilities for example last touch which really does not leave anything like the others mentioned behind.

If oc is that bad then I wonder be considering something like optiseal on top of it.
OC is far from bad, in fact, because of my disability,it was an ideal choice. It was the only sealant that will last 3+years It's only slight problem is it doesn't give the wow factor that other coatings do

volvo.jpg