Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvos now easy to steal

Views : 5279

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2015, 15:44   #11
kylegordon

The evidence is right there in the form of a peer reviewed security paper that VW thought sufficiently dangerous to get prohibited from being published for 2 years.

I'm not going to do random sampling of a forum to get evidence for action, and neither should you. That's not how security discoveries and responses work. I don't have to find 3 banks that had their SSL certs compromised and money stolen before I can persuade someone that the threat is real.

Like the SHA-1 debacle - users weren't aware of the problem, and will continue to be unaware. That didn't stop the problem from existing, and prompting a global upgrade to SHA-2.

What I'd like to know is if Volvo are doing *anything* to keep their customers property safe. If their customers are this ambivalent about it, then nothing will happen.
kylegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 16:05   #12
xco
Premier Member

Smile

So..........

BACK TO KROOKLOKS then
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 16:14   #13
kylegordon

One stylish scaffolding tube, coupler and padlock. Free with every XC90!
kylegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kylegordon For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 16:24   #14
wilbydoughboy

My sister had a Ford Fiesta that was taken overnight without any commotion being noticed and the Police seemed to think it was loaded onto a low loader which would have been noticed as it is a very built up area and narrow road. I believe whoever took the car had some form of device to gain and take without causing any interest from others. Although the car was insured the insurance company seemed to think my sister knew more than she was admitting causing problems with the payout.
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilbydoughboy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 18:25   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylegordon View Post
I don't have to find 3 banks that had their SSL certs compromised and money stolen before I can persuade someone that the threat is real.
No, but you do have to work a little harder to convince me that the threat is likely. There's a big difference.
However vulnerable you think they are, Volvos aren't getting nicked left right and centre so I'll leave my concern at the same level as that for a zombie apocalypse.
If you're so concerned and this "problem" isn't new, why did you buy a Volvo in the first place?
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 19:24   #16
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
kylegordon........

You're talking like we should be bothered but where is the evidence that we should be bothered about?

A couple of bits including the nonsense that is ****ter isn't going to cause me concern.
There are over 100000 members on here so do me a favour and see if you can find 3 threads on this forum where a car has gone missing but the owner still has all the keys.
If this threat is as real as you make out, that will be an easy task for you.

I'll wait patiently for your response......
Well put.
As a forum member for over 8 years, I have never read a thread on this issue from a Volvo owner. Yes, lots of press articles over recent years with issues on BMW,VW, LandRover, etc...........but Volvo........it's silent.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 23:35   #17
Crockers
Premier Member

If this is true then I for one thank the OP for bringing it to a public forum. Like all things electronic there will always be those determined to overcome security measures.

I would be totally amazed though if any manufacturers published their weaknesses. That's like giving a green light to every scrote to get the data and go for it.

Just because no one here has had their car stolen sans keys doesn't mean it isn't a potential issue. I don't know of anyone who has had their bank accounts raided either, but I'm sure it happens and banks want to keep it quiet for commercial reasons.

I don't think the OP needs to be flamed just because others don't see it as an issue. If you disagree then do so, but let's be civil about it.

Am I concerned? Not ar all. But if its an issue I can see why Volvo don't want to enter into talks about it.

Would the BMW issues put me off buying one? No!!!! But their sh1t dealers do..
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 14:01   #18
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post

Also, this only applies if you have keyless if my understanding of the summary is correct?
I had a cursory look at the first paper. I don't think this just applies to keyless entry/start vehicles. Most modern keys, whether inserted into the dash or into the steering column, talk to the cars internals electronic, which validates or otherwise the ability of the car to start. RFID is a passive power system, and thus the key needs to be extremly close to the transmitter to get parasitic power, a few mms I imagine.

Last edited by tangey; Aug 17th, 2015 at 14:05.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 14:44   #19
Kev78

If a certain type of person wants your car it's gone.

Thankfully these types aren't usually attracted to volvo's.

The new XC90 may change that slightly...but I still think they will target the usual range rovers and x5's.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 16:10   #20
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
If a certain type of person wants your car it's gone.

Thankfully these types aren't usually attracted to volvo's.

The new XC90 may change that slightly...but I still think they will target the usual range rovers and x5's.
If you have VOC, how easy is it for your 'stolen' car to be located ? If the answer is 'easy' then the supplementary question is how quickly could a knowledgeable thief disable VOC ?
Please don't anyone post the details of where VOC is located internally. I don't want to know !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security, volvo