Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights

Views : 3027

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2012, 13:51   #11
JSeaman

Andy_d, thanks for the response -

1. Holders looks good and, as you say, other lights are OK so I'm not thinking earths
2. I'll remove the bolsters and have a look asap
3. If you remove the 2 screws holding the actual switch for the lights/fogs there are 2 multiplugs. One goes to the fog switch and the other to the main lights - it was the fog light switch one that had the wire in
4. At 12 o clock I now only get my running lights down the side of the car (when I bought it I got no sidelights on at the front and now the rears have gone)
5. Single bulb

How do the backs work, I have 3 bulbs in either side so I assume you've got stop and tail in one bulb (with one filament) using different voltages? Or did I miss something?

James
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 15:38   #12
andy_d
Premier Member

as far as i know (~p2 owner) there should be 2 "tail" bulbs per side + 1 stop
sounds as if there is a wiring loom issue ,,and to bypass it they had added the bit of wire to provide a Feed to the front/back,,

id be having a look at the headlight relay for a start,, and the ones for tail lights If theres no voltage at the connectors
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 15:43   #13
JSeaman

Having no lights isn't helping but I only appear to have 3 bulbs - indicator in the middle and one above, one below on either side. I'll start by removing the bolsters tonight, which relay in particular are you referring to i.e. where in the car?
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 15:49   #14
Papagato

Hi JS,

I had a similar problem recently - the sidelights, front and rear fogs and some of the rear lights wouldn't work.

It turned out to be only crud in the switch that was the problem, I cleaned it 2 - 3 times and only the final time made any difference (I took it apart completely and cleaned it with dilute washing up liquid - turns out most of the **** in there was grease for some reason!)

If the sidelights don't come on, two of the four taillight bulbs will also be dark, and it appears that the fogs will only come on if the sidelights are on (which I guess is normal in all cars - some cars need the headlamps on, some need only the sides but the fogs never come on without some lights.)

PG
Papagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 15:58   #15
JSeaman

PG, thanks for the input. I took the switch apart earlier - it is electrical contact grease so should be fine

You mention 4 tail light bulbs but I only have 3 (each single filament)
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 16:09   #16
andy_d
Premier Member

any use at all ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v401.JPG (101.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg v402.JPG (157.0 KB, 13 views)
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 16:27   #17
JSeaman

Thanks Andy, now just need to figure out how I can test it!
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 16:48   #18
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
any use at all ?
sorry to high jack but andy where are you getting these images from is it straight from the dealers software? if so where and how may i get a copy, its prob gonna be cheaper than an autodata sub.
madmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 18:48   #19
JSeaman

There's nothing behind the nearside bolster but the offside has a big multiplug - any idea what should be where on that plug???

I have buzzed through the rear light multiplug and everything is ground on it even with the lights on

I'm going to fire 12V into a few of the wires from the light switch to see what happens but again, if anyone knows what voltages should be on what wires then now's a good time to shout up!
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 19:21   #20
JSeaman

Pictures of the 2 connectors:

Behind the offside bolster:

Two multiplugs behind light switch: